Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2010 7:14:49 AM EDT
I want a piston rifle, not sure which one I want, I know about the price difference but that has no effect on my decision.
As far as the POF, I am considering the R415-16-11SX-223 or do I want the SR-556C?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:42:26 AM EDT
Or LMT or LWRC?
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 7:47:22 AM EDT
I have owned both (though I had the SR556, not the SR556C) and my choice would be the POF.

It really brings more to the table in terms of design changes/improvements.

The heat sink barrel nut, large handguard etc really do a lot to help heat dissipation.

It also has a better twist rate and I found the POF to be more accurate.
Link Posted: 10/26/2010 8:27:42 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 87GN:
I have owned both (though I had the SR556, not the SR556C) and my choice would be the POF.

It really brings more to the table in terms of design changes/improvements.

The heat sink barrel nut, large handguard etc really do a lot to help heat dissipation.

It also has a better twist rate and I found the POF to be more accurate.

I agree.

And the POF's are Assembled one to one.

So the Gas block is perfectly matched to each barrel.

My POF is the Nicest Rifle I own.

Everyone I know who owns a POF is thoroughly pleased with it.
And regardless of what dumb asses on this site say... if you have a problem... frank will back it up and do whatever it takes to make it right.

I've talked on the phone with frank a few times, he is a good man.

Note: My rifle has operated flawlessly with over several thousands rounds between a cleaning.

I've shot one of their Demo Rifles that had over 50K through it and no cleaning... The Gas plug was seized in place with carbon (I'm sure it could be opened with hand tools... just not by hand at this point)

Ran like a Charm... perfect.
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 3:27:58 PM EDT
I have no experience with the SR-556C, but I stand behind my POF 100%. You will find a lot of POF haters here, and I don't know why. I don't keep an exact round count, but if I had to guess based simply on the amount of ammo I've purchased, my POF just hit 2k with no malfunctions that can be attributed to the gun. I just ran a two day tactical carbine course and put about 700 rounds through it with the only problems coming from me (a mag that I did not seat properly causing a failure to feed, and once when firing from urban prone my pile of brass grew to the point it was interfering with ejection and a casing bounced back into the chamber). The best part was that I didn't clean the gun once so I could show a buddy how clean it ran, and after the 700 rounds the only contamination in the chamber was paint flakes from the green tip ammo. I have a 415-16-11SX-223, they were calling it a Recce rifle when I bought it; it's a simple, robust, reliable, and accurate gun, I'd buy another but I don't need two.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 5:52:43 PM EDT
No POF hater here, I own one & would buy another. Good rifle.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 6:36:16 PM EDT
I stand behind my SR556C 100%. No malfunctions and very accurate. To each his own.
Link Posted: 10/28/2010 8:16:28 PM EDT
there are alot of POF haters on this site. I am not one of them. I wanted one but ended up going the LWRC route which Im happy with. The only thing that turned me off was how high the rail sits. Im in the army and wanted a rifle that feels like my work gun. Id take a good hard look at LMT too. Good luck with your purchase
Link Posted: 10/29/2010 5:36:06 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Leg_Killa:
there are alot of POF haters on this site. I am not one of them. I wanted one but ended up going the LWRC route which Im happy with. The only thing that turned me off was how high the rail sits. Im in the army and wanted a rifle that feels like my work gun. Id take a good hard look at LMT too. Good luck with your purchase

I understand your issue with the rail height, it's certainly an important factor when choosing to go with POF or an alternative brand. I don't have a work gun like you so it's not important that my main rifle (my POF) feel like a normal AR/M4; I have actually come to really like the extra height of the rail. I have a Leupold CQ/q on mine so the reticle is quite hight, but I like it because it make for a very comfortable shooting stance. The stock is off my collar bone and lower on my chest and I am able to keep the sie of my head off shoulder. When shooting at close range, within 50 yards, your sight over bore compensation is a lot, but I still prefer the higher rail. It's all personal preference, and something you should think about before purchasing.
Top Top