AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/10/2005 4:58:47 PM EDT
?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:01:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Custom made silicon gel ear plugs. Got 'em done at a gun show for $35. I like them much better than the standard ear muffs. They are lightweight and do not interfere with my cheek weld on any of my rifles.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Foam plugs - E.A.R. (yellow) but looking to augment with muffs

so, extra tag for that info
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
SORDIN Supreme Pro

Simply the best!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:04:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Custom made silicon gel ear plugs. Got 'em done at a gun show for $35. I like them much better than the standard ear muffs. They are lightweight and do not interfere with my cheek weld on any of my rifles.

inquiring minds want to know more
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:26:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Pro-Ears Dimension 3s, off e-Bay NIB for $100.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I just use some cheap Peltors from a sporting goods store.  I haven't ever had a problem with them interfering with the cheek weld on any of my guns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Peltor Tac 7

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
?

Caldwel Sound-Right ES-85 Stereo Electronic Earmuffs...  $29.99 from MidwayUSA.com...

Caldwell Sound-Right ES-85 Stereo Electronic Earmuffs Green

Given the reasonable price, I was skeptical at first, but after having them for several months, they work surprisingly well.  I can hear regular sound, but they clip off the report of firearms and other loud noises.  Haven't had a problem with them interfering with rifle stocks, but I never did with my old-trusty Silencio Magnum earmuffs either.  Only bad thing I've experienced is they sometimes pick up interference from certain electronic devices like cell phones.  Its not a big problem, just a kind of low chattering or beeping noise occasionally.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Peltor electronic slim lines 6(?) & a foam ear plug.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#10]
.380 shell casings filled with latex caulking.  With unfired primers  Just kidding but that'd look cool.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#11]
 I would say the best is between the Sordins and the Peltor Commtacs/Swattacs . I personally like the Swattacs the most and use those but its personal preference.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I just use those multicolored omibus foam earplugs I take from work  WHAT?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Sordins. My squad leader thinks they are gay, but myself and my platoon daddy know the truth.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Peltor 6S
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:20:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had decent luck with Hearos and E.A.R. foamies, also just got some rubber E.A.R. with baffles that worked well outdoors with .223 fire.

I'll throw a set of cheap Silencio muffs over those if shooting indoors.  Conversation's difficult, but I'm there to shoot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 6:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Smith and Wesson muffs and at times the ear foam plugs underneath.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:35:48 PM EDT
[#17]
I use foam plugs and electronic Pro Ears.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:47:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I was looking to purchase some ear plugs as well.  What do you guys recommend(make and model).   Also, if you guys can provide links to the item, that would help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#19]
huh... what was that you said?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:59:01 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a set of ProEars, and they are great.  Except they get in the way when I shoot my rifle.  

So I ordered a set of  Sordins this afternoon from TriadTactical.

Info for you: THellURider’s “What are the best electronic earmuffs?” Thread
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Peltor Comtacs
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:03:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Peltor 6S

yup!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are done while you wait. It is a two-part mixture that cures quickly. Tiny sponges on thread were inserted into my ears first, so that the goo didn't go too far in. The mixture was injected into my ear canals with a large plastic syringe and then was pressed to form around my outer ear. The "studs" for the lanyard were inserted, red for right and blue for left. I sat there for about 10 minutes and then the cured plugs were pulled out and the edges were buffed for fit and comfort. It is a custom set that conforms to my ears only. I really like them.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:41:37 AM EDT
[#25]
ProEars Magnums and foamies.

For rifle, slim Peltors (not sure which model) and foamies.

SF
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:54:10 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are done while you wait. It is a two-part mixture that cures quickly. Tiny sponges on thread were inserted into my ears first, so that the goo didn't go too far in. The mixture was injected into my ear canals with a large plastic syringe and then was pressed to form around my outer ear. The "studs" for the lanyard were inserted, red for right and blue for left. I sat there for about 10 minutes and then the cured plugs were pulled out and the edges were buffed for fit and comfort. It is a custom set that conforms to my ears only. I really like them.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43661

Too cool!

buit, Damn...there's another job I'LL never want. Imagine the hygene issues these guys need to work around.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 5:29:36 AM EDT
[#27]
I just use ear plugs.   The orange ones that I can just hang aroung my neck when not in use.  Don't like those kind that look like headphones.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:31:55 AM EDT
[#28]
SRT, SWR, and AAC.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=43661

thanks for the info!  

How effective are they?  

Maintenance?  

Durability?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#30]
They are very effective. The lady stated the NR rating but I don't really remember what she said. I think it is in the high 20's dB. I shoot 5.56 and 7.62 with no need for external muffs. I shoot outdoors exclusivley.

Maintenance is a breeze. Wash with mild soap and water and they will always look and feel good.

Durability is excellent. The material is firm but not stiff. As I said earlier, it is a silicone gel or similar type material.

Useable life is TBD. I bought them this past summer, but I wouldn't be surprised to get at least 5 years out of them. I have no idea how/if the material degenerates over time, if it does at all.

I will not be using muffs as long as I can continue to find a supplier for these.

EDIT: Found the URL: www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-instamold.php
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Disposable ear plugs and Pro Ears indoors and outdoors usually just the Pro-Ears by themselves.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:29:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
They are very effective. The lady stated the NR rating but I don't really remember what she said. I think it is in the high 20's dB. I shoot 5.56 and 7.62 with no need for external muffs. I shoot outdoors exclusivley.

Maintenance is a breeze. Wash with mild soap and water and they will always look and feel good.

Durability is excellent. The material is firm but not stiff. As I said earlier, it is a silicone gel or similar type material.

Useable life is TBD. I bought them this past summer, but I wouldn't be surprised to get at least 5 years out of them. I have no idea how/if the material degenerates over time, if it does at all.

I will not be using muffs as long as I can continue to find a supplier for these.

thanks again for the info.

so, like foam plugs, but a perfect fit every time

havent' seen a vendor yet at a gun show but I will be keeping my eyes open this coming weekend
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I use 33 NRR plugs.

I have no need for any muffs.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:35:58 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks again for the info.

so, like foam plugs, but a perfect fit every time

havent' seen a vendor yet at a gun show but I will be keeping my eyes open this coming weekend

Except this material is much firmer and more dense than foam. PM sent on Denver phone contact.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:38:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Peltor Tactical 7

They are heavier and bulkier than some of the other electronic muffs, but I am deaf as a hammer and the Tactical 7s amplify sound MUCH better than any other muff I've tried.  They also have excellent noise reduction.  I'm on my second pair.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:54:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Whatever I can find at wally world or someplace else.  Usually the disposable 32-33 db foamies.  Good enough for handguns indoors, and rifles outdoors, which is how I shoot.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

buit, Damn...there's another job I'LL never want. Imagine the hygene issues these guys need to work around.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Ehhh???

I use  any type of foam puffs ( I prefer Howard Leight 33db reductions)  and Howard Leight  over-the-ear muffs witha 31 db reduction.  

I 've shooting regularly for 38 years now and can tell you that more hearing protection is better. I currently shoot 3 times a week outdoors( 20-50 rds) day or night, cold or hot, and  1 day a week indoors (rifles and handguns- several hundred rds) in my fuhrerbunker underground concrete range.

My ears have been ringing since age 14 , when I was shooting my .45 without anything (it was the manly thing to do).
They are both ringing right now.   I strongly recommend that you wear at least some light over-the-ear muffs if you do much shooting in addition to plugs. I had an oppurtunity to talk to some State Police, Federal and Military range personnel last week and we all agreed that over-the-ear muffs are a must.  The concensus was to stress to folks how important muffs are. A lot of sound is transmitted thru the bone (skull) and tissue surrounding the ear canal ( mastoid process).  I usually always have foam plugs in and rotate my muffs off if I can't hear calls or questions.  

Also , make sure the kiddies wear over-the-ear muffs. Their little heads have much greater sound transmission to the ear canal.

One of these days I'll get a set of amplified muffs and join the 21st century.

Remember more is better!  Don't be one of us older guys who wishes we had used more hearing protection when younger!
J
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#40]
I usually wear these:

I'll wear a set of these along with them if I'm shooting something larger than handgun caliber:

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 11:58:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#42]
I use some bigass old Peltor Presidentials my wife bought. They work just fine. I have tried those stick in your ear rubber things but don't like the way it feels.  I don't want to stick anything up my ass or in my ears if I have a say.....
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#43]
+1 for Peltor Comtacs.  These will fool you because you can hear everything that's low volume really well & the report doesn't sound any louder.  Sometimes I want to take these off to see if the report is as loud as I remember.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Peltor Tac 7

+1
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Bilsom Viking is the best standard earmuff IMHO, they have better low frequency attenuation which really helps with shooting noise.  Bilsom has a "clarity" model which is pretty good also, a smoother frequency responce for more natural sound at the cost of a few dB of attenuation.  Doubled up with foam earplugs for really loud firearms.  Foam earplugs (I usually get the tan ones from the H&B dept at wal mart) are cheap and easy to keep handy for bars/concerts/farm work/etc etc.

Haven't tried the electronic tactical type earmuffs yet, been thinking about trying them out though.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:37:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#47]
For those who use Tactical 7s:  Do you find that the large size gets in the way of the stock?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#48]

It beats putting something in your ears.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:22:05 PM EDT
[#49]
I’m not much on reviewing things other than to grunt loudly and mumble, “this one better.”

But I will say this; I just picked up my Sordin Supreme Pros (at UPS) and comparing them to my ProEars:

1.  They seem sturdier
2.  I like the sound quality better
3.  They grip my skull better
4.  The padding around the ears and the headband is more comfortable
5.  I like the controls a lot more.
6.  Being quite a bit thinner, they don’t interfere as much with my AR stock - although I just shot the eyes out () of the angel on my Christmas tree.

Hopefully I'll use them at the range this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Crappy ear plugs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top