Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2003 1:42:05 PM EDT
ok guys, I'm the new guy on the block and have been waiting a week to ask this.  Which AR do I buy, and why? whats the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

I'm planning on using this for plinking, targets, and the occasional varmint.  Will probably put a scope on it and that'll be it. (yeah, I know, that's what I say now, I hear the AR's are addicting :D) I also want the ability to add to it later, maybe a .22 upper, iron sights, other stuff.  I just don't want to make a bad choice and end up with a several hundred dollar paperweight.

Currently, the DPMS Sweet 16 Lo Pro has caught my eye and that's what I'm really looking at buying.  Does anyone have any input on this particular rifle?

thanks in advance guys.
John
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
If you do choose to buy the DPMS, you will be very pleased. I love how my DPMS Classic Sixteen has performed.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 1:51:06 PM EDT
[#2]
oh yeah, another question.  I talked to the guy at DPMS and he was telling me the difference between the classic and the sweet 16 was the cast lower reciever.  I know the physical differences, but what's the difference on the rifle? does it effect accuracy, durability?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:53:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
oh yeah, another question.  I talked to the guy at DPMS and he was telling me the difference between the classic and the sweet 16 was the cast lower reciever.  I know the physical differences, but what's the difference on the rifle? does it effect accuracy, durability?
View Quote

Spend the few extra bucks on the forged/milled reciever. You wont remember 100 bucks in a few years but you'll be pissed when that cast reciever gives you a headache.  FWIW
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Another vote for the forged reciever. Other than that, I fould go with what your wallet allows. I have shot a colt, BM, and DPMS, and they were all great.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:50:24 PM EDT
[#5]
can't go wrong with Bushmaster, Rock River, or Armalite
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:38:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey John,
  Read the forums for a few weeks and soak up the knowledge.  I am quite pleased with my Bushmaster but for plinking and "occasional" varmints, I would go with a Bushie 16'' flattop.  (Not 14.5'' w/ FS... just the 16'')

My .02

Have fun and good luck!

- BUCC_Guy
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:58:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Its hard to make a bad choice, which is a good thing.

You seem to want a good all arounder and that can be easy to put together, yourself.

I am partial to the Colt upper in 16" length, and a flat top. I use this with a Stinger forged lower and NM trigger. I have a Colt upper on a Colt lower and I must say I prefer the Stinger, probably because of the NM trigger.

I'd forgo iron sights altogether. Save the price of the carrying handle and get a good Aimpoint or ACOG. Use an inexpensive Tasco red dot for a while if money is an issue.

By all means get a good muzzle break. Kurt's Kustom did mine and it works great. Guys either side of me at the range complain, but then they shoot a 7mm Magnum next to me and I'm thinking 'screw em'.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my Rock River Arms, but go with what feels the best to you!  DPMS is also a good gun, but myself, I would rather go with Rock River...just my .02 worth
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Bushmaster,Rock river,Armalite,Colt.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:07:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Its hard to make a bad choice, which is a good thing.

You seem to want a good all arounder and that can be easy to put together, yourself.

I am partial to the Colt upper in 16" length, and a flat top. I use this with a Stinger forged lower and NM trigger. I have a Colt upper on a Colt lower and I must say I prefer the Stinger, probably because of the NM trigger.

I'd forgo iron sights altogether. Save the price of the carrying handle and get a good Aimpoint or ACOG. Use an inexpensive Tasco red dot for a while if money is an issue.

By all means get a good muzzle break. Kurt's Kustom did mine and it works great. Guys either side of me at the range complain, but then they shoot a 7mm Magnum next to me and I'm thinking 'screw em'.
View Quote

I've been working on this for a couple of weeks now, and just last night realized that I'd forgot the optics all together.  I'm currently kicking around options for this, but I can always pull a scope off of a target rifle too.

thanks for the help and suggestions guys, I'll read a bit more and check a few more out.  Part of the reason is I have a DPMS dealer close, don't seem like I can find any other dealers real close to me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:31:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Bushmaster,Rock river,Armalite,Colt.
View Quote

Yep.
I'm an ArmaLite guy myself but there's not a loser in the group.

5sub
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for Rock River.

~AbM
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:07:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Get the DPMS, you will be happy with it....all the major manufacturers make good ar15's...I have shot them all and the DPMS is just as good as any of them.......
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 7:42:01 PM EDT
[#15]
uh oh.  No one is suggesting an Olympic Arms and I just bought one.  Was this is an error in my judgment or is there anyone who likes olyarms?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:40:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Olympic arms is a great choice, too.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:09:32 PM EDT
[#17]
 Well lets see I had 4 colts 0ne bushy M forgery a4 and one 20"er Bushy. One Oly 16"er.

Now they are all gon and I have One AR-15.
  And it is a (Eagle lower with a bushy dissipator barrel hooked to a RRA upper with green buttstock ect. with red dot.)  Shoots like a charm and I did it. And I'm happy with just that now.  [toilet]

Just keep looking and reading and get the one that you like the best.

Gator
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Choose one of these ABC

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top