Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 11:00:37 AM EDT
Who likes which bore-sighting setup?

BSA, Bushnell, Simmons or Tasco scope looking thingies that stick into the end of the barrel on arbors and (I guess?) offer a grid that you use to align your reticle?

Laserlyte or Site-Lite laser units that stick out of the end of the barrel and shoot a laser beam onto the target, which you then "sight in" on with your scope?

Or the Aimshot laser emitter that fits into a machined brass "cartridge" which fits in your gun's chamber to shine its laser down your barrel and out to your target?

Others?

Preferences? Recommendations? Horror stories?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:26:41 PM EDT
9 rounds, three at a time...at 50 yrds should get you zeroed

...or, remove the upper receiver, put it in a bench vise & remove the charging handle and carrier. Point the firearm at a target, say 50 yards away...look down the barrel to center the target...then line adjust your sites to the target. You should be on paper.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:39:15 PM EDT
I agree with the others. Bore Sight setups are not necessary. Save the money and buy more ammo or mags or something that will be used frequently. I can bore sight at 25 yards by looking down the chamber and be within 6" of aiming point. So can you.

Tack
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:25:01 AM EDT
none
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:36:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By eklikwhoa:
none

+1
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:14:08 AM EDT
Unless you have a rifle where you can't see down the bore of the barrel like an M1A or a lever action, don't waste your time with a bore sighter. When you go out to the range mount your rifle (or upper if you are sighting in an AR) up on some sand bags, bipod, phone books, whatever. Sight down the barrel at your target. I usually don't waste my time with 25 or 50 yards and just go straight to 100. But, it is easier to sight your target at shorter distances. This works like a peep sight. Just center up your target in the middle of the hole at the end of your barrel. Now without touching or moving your rifle, look through the scope. If your cross hairs are not pointed at the center of the target, like the barrel is, you will need to adjust it until the two are roughly pointed on center. NOTE: With the barrel centered on target, if your scope is aimed left, you will need to move the turrets left. I know that this doesn't sound correct, but think about it in this case. If the scope was on center of your target your barrel and rounds fired from it would hit to the right. Therefore, you need to adjust to the left. Anyway, I hope that makes sense. You'll get the hang of it.

After you get on the paper, I'm usually not more than 3-4inches off, you can fire 3rd groups and make your final adjustments.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:07:02 PM EDT
Good advice given
As for AR's, Bolt guns, etc, Sight thru the bore at a distant point. 100yds or even more. Peak of a building.... If your bore is stable, you can then look thru/ at the sights. I hope this is now clear.
I am sorry your answer has not appeared. Most do not actually use bore sighting tools.
You can use the same approach for complete set up. Leveling a reticle the same way. Level your action, look at a level subject [make one].
If you have a bar, m94 or something, state that and hopefully someone will share their boresight equipment details.
Top Top