Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 3:40:36 AM EDT
Hello everyone!!! I'm brand new to this forum but have been lurking for a few days.
I'm contemplating buy my first AR and would like some opinions on which one to start out with.
What I basically want in a Bushmaster Post-Ban M4 configuration but I don't want that Mini Y Comp that everyone says is LOUD.I'm already semi-deaf (wear hearing aids in both ears) and want to save all I got left.
Anyway I've come to the conclusion anything I get will have to be sent off to Kurts Kustom for modifacation.
So heres what I've been thinking of:1 get a BM M4 w/mini y comp and have Kurt remove the mini Y and put on a Tac Brake.2 get a BM 16 Shorty and have Kurt cut and turn the barrel to M4 BUT leave the barrel heay under the hand guards and install a Tac Brke or Fake (FSS)
Is there any advantage of goinmg the 16" Shorty route and leaving the bbl. heavy under the hand guards or just go with the M4 configuration.
Sorry this is so long winded I would appreciate your opinion.Thanks possum58
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
First things first, welcome! [beer]

Bushmaster sells a Patrolmans Carbine which is a full 16" M4 with a bare muzzle.  I would recommend that rifle.  If you do get a 14.5" with Mini-Y then have Kurt install his A3 Fake Flash suppessor to help cut down on the noise.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is my m4 clone.

It's a RRA upper from Pete in NH.  Chrome lined barrel.  Fake a2 flash hider.

Pete is a member here and supports the site.  His work is top notch and he's a pleasure to deal with.  I highly recomend him.

Lower is a bushmaster from the local gun show.

Aimpoint red dot optic.

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11931[/img]

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11933[/img]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:09:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for your imputs.I'm leaning heavy on the M4 w/mini y comp as it has more features that I want.But from everything I've read the Mini Y Comp will have to go.
This rifle will be for plinking around and an occassional varmint.I was also wondering about the reliabilty of BM M4s and wether or not the barrels too thin and would heat up too easy.But in all estimation I would probably be limited to shooting somewhere in the 100-200rds. per session which would be over a hour or so period of time and no magazine dumps.
I carried a M16A1 for 3 years in the Army and liked it pretty well.Haven't shot one now for almost 25yrs. just kinda got the idea I "need" one and I like the looks of the M4 variants.Thanks Again. possum58
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Keep in mind the Patrolmans Carbine is the same as the M4 but with a full 16" barrel and a bare muzzle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:52:45 AM EDT
[#6]
If all you will be doing is 100-200 rounds in an hour and you are concerned with how loud it is I would either.

A.  Get a 16" HBAR with no muzzle device and turn it to M4 profile or just light under the hand guards.  Just turning the notch in front of the barrel will not allow mounting of an M4 and wont help with accuracy or heat but it will make your rifle too heavy.

B.  Get a 16" LW barrel with no muzzle devise

If it gets hot pur some water on it from the water bottle you have with you at the range and keep shooting.  It wont hurt it.

You dont want ANY muzzle devise if loudness is a problem for you.  You will have zero issues with heat from an M4 profile barrel.

In fact if it were me I would get a 16" HBAR and turn it down under the handguards only with no M4 notch.  The notch only removes stiffness but does not allow you to mount an M203 since its a post ban gun anyway.  If you want a muzzle devise to protect the crown I would get the 16" HABR turned under the handguards and cut to 15" and then have a fake flash hider (not a brake) installed to make it 16"
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the exact Bushy M4A3 with the mini-y comp and it's not that bad! I was worried as you about the noise, but I like the boom, boom it makes at the range especially when I rapid fire the thing! I will probably send it to Kurt's for a new muzzle/FFS, but the 8 weeks it will take! [:O]

And TheRicker, what muzzle brake did you have installed and pictures??? I am close to ADCO too.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I would opt for a Bushmaster with the M4 cutout on the barrel, that has the 16" length. Then if you must have a fake flash supressor, I would have one installed. Cooling should not be that much of a problem, so long as you can keep the RoF within reason.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm currently running a Bushmaster 16 inch M4 profiled barrel that I sent away to Kurt to have the Mini Y removed and have a FFS replace it.  I bought the upper from the Equipment exchange and when I got it, I was surprised it was a full 16 inch barrel as opposed to the 14.5.  At the time I already had an AK shorty so I thought I could do with out a Compensator so I opted for the FFS.  I took this rifle and did a 5 day course at Blackwater.  We ran close to 3000 rounds of 5.56 during the 5 days and I can say I had absolutely no problem with heat build up.

Edited to add: If you are planning to have the work done, then save yourself the bucks and just get the plain Patrolman's Carbine.  Why spend the 40 bucks on the Mini Y when it will just end up in pieces in a pan. (Kurt's own words when I asked if it were possible to save the Brake)
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:55:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks Again Everyone!!!
Bad news,my wife came home from taking my daughter to the dentist and she needs braces!!!
So that means no new gun,poop I thought we was about caught up enough that I could buy a new rifle.
Lesson here wear condoms!!!!
Thanks Everyone! possum58
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top