Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2004 10:08:23 AM EDT
I am in a quandary. I want to order a new upper in one of the WSSM rounds, but am not sure which one to go with. I have always been a huge 25-06 fan and though the .25WSSM would be the ticket.

But from a perspectice of wide use, which of the WSSM's would be best? I want to shoot everything from deer to big pigs to what little varmints I choose. The latter would be the least used... I just don't have the opportunity to do much varmint shooting.

Does anyone have a link to the comparative ballisitics? Maybe that will help.

Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#1]
For comparative ballistics look at the ammo manufacturers page. You can bring up trajectories of them all at once.

I think .25, for deer. I no longer trust 6mm/.243 for deer sized game, after a severe bullet failure. The .223 WSSM is pretty mush a dedicated varmint round, I wouldn't use it on deer. No good bullets for that.

I'm waiting for a .25 WSM that mimics a .257Weatherby.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the most dedicated coyote hunters I know have chosen the 25-06.

I have seen that cartridge do wonders on deer.  In my neck of the woods, .223 and .243 are generally considered too small to use on big game (although both are legal).

It is my understanding that they have had problems with .223 and .243 WSSM rifles and cartridges.  They have had to chrome line bores and there have been pressure problems.  I have no personal knowledge of these problems, just gossip.

Their trajectories are real close, with the smaller cartrdiges shooting a little flatter.  The .25 should do a lot better in the wind.

I'd get the .25.

Check out the ballistics here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the .243 WSSM and love it.  I am using it for "big game" (whitetail deer) and varmint.  The bullet selection for "off the shelf" ammo is poor so I handload.  I am shooting an 85 grain Nosler partition at about 3350 fps.  I have been using that bullet for years on deer and have never had it fail me yet.  I use the 88 grain Berger or 87 grain HPBT Hornaday for varmint so the POI is about the same.  You can switch from big game to varmint and not have to re-zero.  I have a buddy that got the .25 WSSM and he loves it.  I think it's a little easier to load for than the .243 but once I got a couple of loads worked out for mine I've been real happy.

The problems with them going hard on barrels, I think, is much exagerated.  With a good quality barrel and handloads that aren't super hot, I think you will have a very respectable barrel life.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:05:44 AM EDT
[#4]
browning and winchester DID recall there WSSM rifles at on time to chromeline the bores because they were only getting 300 rounds out of the barrels before they eroaded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:23:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Jack - are they actually going to produce a .257WSM????
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:06:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jack - are they actually going to produce a .257WSM????

I don't know, but I'll buy a full case of ammo if they do. One of the gun rags editors already has one, he specced a custom chamber and makes his own brass. I wish they would just do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 3:07:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
browning and winchester DID recall there WSSM rifles at on time to chromeline the bores because they were only getting 300 rounds out of the barrels before they eroaded.

The .243 ain't bad, but the .223 is a barrel burner on the highest order.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:34:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The problems with them going hard on barrels, I think, is much exagerated.  With a good quality barrel and handloads that aren't super hot, I think you will have a very respectable barrel life.  

The .243 wssm is only a little more powerful than the regular .243.  Like you say, I can't imagine it being a barrel burner.  The biggest advantage is the super short action (IMHO).  

I think it would be a toss up between the .243 and the .25.  I would lean towards the .25 because you can get light varmint bullets and some good big game bullets for it.  I'm going though a similar internal debate for a new bolt action rifle...
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Who makes uppers in 25 WSSM?  I'm also a 25-06 fan and an AR that can duplicate the ballistics sounds like a good bet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:44:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Not getting much traffic in Equip Exchange, so I was going to be "bad" and drop this in here - I am looking to sell two brand new sets of dies, never did use them, both made by CH Tool and Die

223 WSSM, FL sizer and seater
308 WSSM, FL sizer and seater (just run a 243 in there and get a 308 out)
(yup, that latter one is a custom wildcat, made to allow using a neck reamer and a standard reamer to keep cost down)

$50 plus S&H each

Marty
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Who makes uppers in 25 WSSM?  I'm also a 25-06 fan and an AR that can duplicate the ballistics sounds like a good bet.

Olympic Arms.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top