Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2002 1:51:03 AM EDT
...are submersible?  And to what depth are they rated?  I am looking for a light suitable for scuba diving for a friend as a Christmas present.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Suggest ya check out Pelican diving lites as I have had very good luck w/ them.

[url]http://www.pelican-cases-flashlights.com/flashlights-chart-selector.htm[/url]

From the Super Sabre (which has been around forever and one of my personal favorites) to the BriteLite and 100,000 candle power models most all their diving lights are submersible to 500 feet.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#2]
The M2 is waterproof and I have taken my snorkling with me. Most of the "M" series lights are if I'm not mistaken. Before I did I called SF to see how deep it was rated for. I dont remember what depth it was, but I do recall it wasnt the 20,000 leagues or anything.

I do know that this topic has come up on a few occasions on the surefire DB and the concensus was that while some of the SF lights are waterproof, none make very good dive lights.
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Any SureFire with "N" is "Navy" Certified to 96psi (30 metres) (The exception I've just thought of is 9AN which isn't and can't be certified)
Ones you're likely to find are 6PN as there are sometimes ones leftover from bulk orders that SureFire releases up for grabs.
I don't think SureFire are currently doing N-Cert'ed models for consumers due to the very high demand from bulk orders.

Al
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2002 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
In my experience of taking SureFires underwater, the TurboHead beams work best. Of those, unless the water is very clear, the thin beams such as the N2 Lamp (for three x SF123A TurboHead models) would be better for reducing glare.

Of course, you may need the ability for your SureFires to travel in, through or under water with you as you get to where you are going. In this case, an N Certified model would give you the confidence to do that.

Respectfully,

Al
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 5:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They have had the M900AN-WH in stock fairly recently. These are, as stated above, certified for Navy use to 30 meters.

Personally, as good as Surefire anodizing is, I would not want to dedicate one as a dive light. Plus, the reflectors are designed to provide clean light in specific patterns in air. Water is not a medium they are designed to do their best work in. Lights designed for underwater use would be better suited.

Paul
[url]mstn.biz[/url]
View Quote

I gotta call BS on this one... I have had that light on order for what seems like forever.  Surefire stated they will begin production after Jan 1.  When I Emailed cusomer service to find out why I got no answer and when I Emailed the head of civilian sales to complain about getting no answer and asking WTF the problem is I got no answer again.  Seems like vaporware to me.
Link Posted: 12/12/2002 2:24:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Dealers may grab them. You may have better luck checking out the big dealers.

Al
Link Posted: 12/13/2002 8:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Pelican makes an AQUA Lite, 100,000 candlepower, good to 500 ft., for CHEAP money.  Check em' out...
Link Posted: 12/19/2002 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#9]
We have been told by our SureFire rep. that they will NOT be producing the M900AN at all.  We have had these on order for months, and never received one.  I find it interesting that someone says that they have one.  A prototype?  

SABLE CO.

[url]www.sableco.net[/url]
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
ASPI had the 6PN for like 65.00 when they had there last sale. I almost got one,but i got a 6p and 9p for not a lot more. I like to get one for diving as well. I will get one the next time they have them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2003 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't bother waiting for surefire they are seriously back ordered for mil products.

The spec for surefire products diving is depth/ time related. For a true dive light go Pelican.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top