Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/22/2005 12:29:01 PM EDT
I was thinking a Swarovski 3-12x50 or a Zeiss 3.5-10x50.  I will be hunting mule deer mainly with this setup--stalking, driving and in blinds in canyon country with little cover.  The shot distances will be in a range of 100-400 yds.

Also, where is the best place to order the rifle and scope? I priced Gander Mountain and a few others, but if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

bd
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I took a look at the EE and nothing really fits.  I was even thinking of going 4-16x50mm; however, lots of the feedback I've been getting from other people is that the higher powers are hard to use at max range, plus the large objective is a more susceptible to dings and scratches.  

bd
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:04:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Go with the Zeis You won't regret it.

Try EGAY A good friend of mine just got a Zeis conquest for $550 also try the EE
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd take a serious look at the Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 or 4-15x50.  I have compared the 4200 to my friend's Zeiss Conquest, and I would definately get the 4200.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Both scopes are super quality and either is a good choice, but I would skip the 50MM and go with a 40MM.  Just get good glass; that is more important that objective diameter... and it is much easier to carry a 40MM while hiking or riding than the bigger objective.   In addition to the Swar & Zeiss, the  4200 or a high end Leitz, Leupold, Pentax or Burris are all good choices.  You will also need really tall rings with the 50MM... the ones that came with the rifle (strong but ugly) will probably work.  

YRMV, but many folks (me included) have difficulty hand holding & aiming with magnifications over about 10 power.  So, unless you plan to make extremely long shots from a rest, 10 to 12 power is all you will need.  Keep it simple.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Both scopes are super quality and either is a good choice, but I would skip the 50MM and go with a 40MM.  Just get good glass; that is more important that objective diameter... and it is much easier to carry a 40MM while hiking or riding than the bigger objective.   In addition to the Swar & Zeiss, the  4200 or a high end Leitz, Leupold, Pentax or Burris are all good choices.  You will also need really tall rings with the 50MM... the ones that came with the rifle (strong but ugly) will probably work.  

YRMV, but many folks (me included) have difficulty hand holding & aiming with magnifications over about 10 power.  So, unless you plan to make extremely long shots from a rest, 10 to 12 power is all you will need.  Keep it simple.

Thanks, this is exactly the type of feedback I was looking for.  I'm starting to hear that the larger objectives and the greater powers aren't really useful in the field, which will greatly influence my choice.

What about retailers? Scope and rifle or separately?

bd
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#6]
 o
 o
 o
 o

o

o
 o

o
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top