Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2010 7:11:21 AM EDT
I am trying to decide on my one and only AR for the time being. Intended use is an all purpose carbine. I live in a residential area with shots not likely past 75 yards. I have owned a 16 govt middy, sold it, too heavy for intended purpose. I just bought a BCM 14.5 middy, I like it, very soft shooting and balances very well even with a lighter stock. But I am considering selling it to fund a 16 LW middy for the added velocity and ability to change the muzzle device. I know I probably wont need the added velocity but it would be nice to have. Also if anyone can tell me how the 16 LW middy balances compared to the 14.5 I would appreciate it. To me it looks like it would balance about the same. What would you do?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one of the new 14.5" BCM LW middies...and it rocks.  What is the concern for changing the muzzle device anyways?  Just silver solder on what you want...if you NEED to change it...reheat and spin it off.  The handling of the 14.5" IMHO negates the velocity gain of the 16".
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have one of the new 14.5" BCM LW middies...and it rocks.  What is the concern for changing the muzzle device anyways?  Just silver solder on what you want...if you NEED to change it...reheat and spin it off.  The handling of the 14.5" IMHO negates the velocity gain of the 16".

I would just like the option of trying new or different devices if I wanted. Keep in mind this will be my only AR for at least the next 2 years. I am not considering silver solder at all.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:44:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one of the new 14.5" BCM LW middies...and it rocks. What is the concern for changing the muzzle device anyways? Just silver solder on what you want...if you NEED to change it...reheat and spin it off. The handling of the 14.5" IMHO negates the velocity gain of the 16".

I would just like the option of trying new or different devices if I wanted. Keep in mind this will be my only AR for at least the next 2 years. I am not considering silver solder at all.

Why not?

It was my understanding BATFE considers silver solder acceptable since the level of work required to remove the MD is more then a wrench.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
I have one of the new 14.5" BCM LW middies...and it rocks. What is the concern for changing the muzzle device anyways? Just silver solder on what you want...if you NEED to change it...reheat and spin it off. The handling of the 14.5" IMHO negates the velocity gain of the 16".

Why not?
It was my understanding BATFE considers silver solder acceptable since the level of work required to remove the MD is more then a wrench.

Silver Solder is now an unacceptable means of perm. attaching a muzzle device to reach legal length.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:52:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Silver Solder is now an unacceptable means of perm. attaching a muzzle device to reach legal length.

Yea, i have read a lot about issues with corrosion, discoloration, messiness etc. Just don't want to deal with it. It's a thing of the past I believe. But that is another discussion.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:57:55 AM EDT
[#6]
wait for the LW 14.5" BCM middy. it's coming...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

pics? i have never seen them in stock.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
wait for LW 14.5" BCM middy. it's coming...

They already came and went on BCMs site they sold out in like two days. I really don't care for the 14.5 LW middy right now. Maybe down the road I will get one. When I first heard about the profile I was excited for it but after handling the 14.5 govt profile middy that I have now, I am happy with it as far as weight and balance. I don't think there would be a worthwhile difference in those areas.

Plenty of pics of that profile in this thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=138&t=193784
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

pics? i have never seen them in stock.

They were in stock a week and a half ago. I almost bought one, but couldn't justify the price. Picked up a DD 14.5 mid barrel for $269 shipped from AIM instead.
BCM's $385 price too high IMHO
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#10]
edit
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 9:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
14.5" MID GOV profile (w/ DD Omega 9.0) handles like a dream with a SOPMOD

If you want the 16" LW, go ahead and get it if you're not 100% decided on what free-float rail / muzzle device combo you want to go with.  But also consider it's not that big of a deal (besides likely destroying the muzzle device) to swap things around at a later date.

Recommendation:  BCM 14.5" MID LW profile w/ pinned vortex.  Just do some thinking/research/pondering/agonizing to decide on your rail/muzzle device combo and then enjoy it.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:32:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I would go with the 16" myself, just so I could change out the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Can I get any more suggestions before my credit card spontaneously ignites? I am sorry, I know these types of threads are a dime a dozen around here.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:25:11 PM EDT
[#14]
16" LW Mid w/ BCE 1.0
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
TTIRTMI

I'm sorry?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They were in stock a week and a half ago. I almost bought one, but couldn't justify the price. Picked up a DD 14.5 mid barrel for $269 shipped from AIM instead.

Really? I bought my BCM 14.5 LW because I found it to be a better deal than building a DD upper.

My thinking was:
DD 14.5" barrel w/ FSB from ADCO $286
receiver $95
barrel nut & delta assem. - $20
gas tube & pin $12
perm FH $30
Phantom $30
shipping to ADCO for perm $25+/-
Total $498+/- vs BCM w/ perm A2X $430

If you take into account the BCG/CH you save $20 by buying them with a BCM upper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? I bought my BCM 14.5 LW because I found it to be a better deal than building a DD upper.

My thinking was:
DD 14.5" barrel w/ FSB from ADCO $286
receiver $95
barrel nut & delta assem. - $20
gas tube & pin $12
perm FH $30
Phantom $30
shipping to ADCO for perm $25+/-
Total $498+/- vs BCM w/ perm A2X $430

If you take into account the BCG/CH you save $20 by buying them with a BCM upper.

BCM won't sell the barrel with front sight base installed alone. I have way too many upper parts (some I probably bought from you) and only needed the barrel...

$385 BCM price + shipping
-
$269 Cost of DD barrel shipped
––––––––––––––––––––––
$116 + BCM shipping which to me is too expensive for an upper and gastube (and deltapack/nut which I won't be using with a rail)

IF BCM would sell JUST the barrel, I would have gladly bought it. But since they won't sell it alone...

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Oooh ok, that makes sense then, my bad.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:47:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am trying to decide on my one and only AR for the time being. Intended use is an all purpose carbine. I live in a residential area with shots not likely past 75 yards. I have owned a 16 govt middy, sold it, too heavy for intended purpose. I just bought a BCM 14.5 middy, I like it, very soft shooting and balances very well even with a lighter stock. But I am considering selling it to fund a 16 LW middy for the added velocity and ability to change the muzzle device. I know I probably wont need the added velocity but it would be nice to have. Also if anyone can tell me how the 16 LW middy balances compared to the 14.5 I would appreciate it. To me it looks like it would balance about the same. What would you do?

I took my RRA chrome-lined middy with a 16" HBAR and had Adco turn down the barrel to a LW and also shorten it to 14.7" and pin on the A2 FH.  The difference is amazing!  Not only is the weapon over 1¼ pounds lighter and much more maneuverable, it's actually more accurate now because of the target crown Adco included.  
Std HBAR Wilson bbl:

Wilson bbl after Adco's magic:

ETA:  I also purchased a CMMD front sight base drilled for a smaller, .625" barrel and sent it to Adco with my upper.  He contoured the barrel down and fitted it perfectly.  No gas leakage after a few thousand rounds and all in all, a superb job by Steve.  A lightweight, 14.7" middy with a pinned FH is absolutely the only way to go.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:15:58 AM EDT
[#22]
The answer is simple.

I WOULD say go with the 14.5 since you're in the city and won't be shooting past 75 yards.

BUT you MUST be able to legally trade muzzle devices (seems clear you've made up your mind there).  That leaves you only one option so I don't see why we're having this discussion.  

16" is the only choice you've left yourself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The answer is simple.

I WOULD say go with the 14.5 since you're in the city and won't be shooting past 75 yards.

BUT you MUST be able to legally trade muzzle devices (seems clear you've made up your mind there).  That leaves you only one option so I don't see why we're having this discussion.  

16" is the only choice you've left yourself.

I know I know. The muzzle device thing is not really a deal breaker, it would just be nice. I do want to try that battlecomp. The major thing on my mind is maneuverability in the hallway. With the 14.5 it's pretty easy to turn around and stay in high ready.  With the 16 I would probably have to transition to low ready as I am turning around. But really that is just as fast if not faster. I am in the suburbs. There are areas where longer shots could be taken, but not right around my house. Also I am concerned with how the LW 16 balances compared to the 14.5 govt middy.

Another option is I could just suck it up, keep the 14.5 and get the LW 16 as well. That's what I really want to do.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top