Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/5/2003 4:44:23 PM EDT
I have 2 pre-ban lowers, a Colt and a Eagle Arms. Was going to use the Eagle for an M4 project, as it has the correct size pin for all uppers being sold. If I use the Colt, I will have to get the conversion pin that they sell. Any problems so far? Eagle lowers are decent are they not? Interested in opinions. Anyway, the real question is the upper. SO many out there, all around the same price. DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Del-ton, and Colt. I would go Colt, but the price is just staggering. I like the tactical carry handle on the RRA, as I will be mounting an EOTech 512 on it, and that carry handle looks to be quite the set-up. Interested in any opinions from people that own/have shot these uppers. Thanks in advance, this site is a fountain of knowledge.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:43:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer Bushmaster, but I have heard good things about the DPMS M4 uppers.  

CMMG sometimes has the DPMS M4 upper with 1/7 chrome lined barrels.  Check out their website at cmmginc.com, and check out the Bushy line at their site.

Both of these uppers are pretty close in price.

I've had a couple of Colt M4 uppers and their great, but the price is ridiculous and I won't get one again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn't your Eotech sit kind of high on the RRA rail?

I like my Colt and Bushmaster uppers.  Doing it all over again, I would go with the Bushie.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 4:56:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If I use the Colt, I will have to get the conversion pin that they sell. Any problems so far?
View Quote

They work but they're kind of a pain.

Eagle lowers are decent are they not? Interested in opinions.
View Quote

Yes, they are decent. In fact, they are better than decent.  

Anyway, the real question is the upper. SO many out there, all around the same price. DPMS, RRA, Bushmaster, Del-ton, and Colt. I would go Colt, but the price is just staggering. I like the tactical carry handle on the RRA, as I will be mounting an EOTech 512 on it, and that carry handle looks to be quite the set-up. Interested in any opinions from people that own/have shot these uppers. Thanks in advance, this site is a fountain of knowledge.
View Quote

I have Colt and DPMS M4 uppers and all of them shoot very well.  My pre-ban Colt M4 upper is the best shooter out of the bunch but like you said, the price is staggering.  The DPMS M4 uppers I own are very nice too: chrome-lined, 1/7 twist, 4150.  The only drawback, to some people, is that the DPMS uppers use a cast front sight.  My pre-ban DPMS upper has a forged front sight but my postban has a cast one.  The RRA uppers seem very nice.  They use 4140 steel instead of 4150 and RRA doesn't offer a 1/7 twist (which is what I prefer).  Bushmaster has it all, 4150, forged front site, chrome-lined but it's difficult to get 1/7 at times and they seem to be the highest
price (not including the Colts of course).

To sum it all up, you can't go wrong with any upper you are looking at.  Each have pros and cons but in the end they will all serve you well.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Interesting replies so far, keep them coming. I plan on building very soon. I keep watching the EE, but I want all the goodies (pre-ban, side sling, chrome lined, b/c/ch), and people who have them seem to want to hold onto them. Interested to hear from you RRA owners, as I have not heard from any of you guys yet. They seem nice. BTW----what do M4 feedcuts do? I would assume help feeding, but how?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 5:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the process of looking for another m-4 upper too, I have a bushmaster and love it, the only draw back seems to be that it was 100$ more than most of the competition. After looking at the competion rock river has caugth my eye, but I would like some feedback from owners...however if they don't meet my standard I will have to buy another bushmaster.

Link Posted: 6/7/2003 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Come on RRA owners, there's two of us waiting for your wisdom!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 3:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say colt for the colt lower. Did you want a 16" or 14.5? What's the best price you've seen for a colt?
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Come on RRA owners, there's two of us waiting for your wisdom!
View Quote

Im an RRA owner but went with the 1 in 8, 16" SS upper with the Smith Vortex. Probably more accurate than the BM chrome versions and cheaper to boot. I'm sure it weighs a bit more but have never compared.
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Best price I have seen for a new Colt M4 complete upper (b/c/ch included) was for $700 on the EE. I can't say I've ever seen a used one, anywhere. And 14.5 preban is what I am looking at.....but 16 inch is an option if the price is right, lol. Beggers can't be chosers!
Link Posted: 6/7/2003 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#11]
$700 for the colt new was a great price. Now if  you can find one they run close to $950. I you go with a 14.5 barrel you need to change the flash suppressor to a vortex or phantom and have it welded on. 16" is the way to go but still cost around $850 new. I might be able to get you a colt 16" m4 with the removeable carry handle and bolt,carrier and charging handle with under 500 rds through it for $600. My friend has two extra uppers. let me know
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#12]
IM sent on upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top