Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 11:56:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 12:01:16 PM EDT by SeanK1ng]
I know this topic gets tossed around on a regular basis.....but often times, cost becomes a factor and I haven't found a thread where this information is presented specifically.

Who makes a true mil-spec lower? I'm not too concerned about cost at this point.

I'm assuming Colt does and I've heard rumors that CMT makes them as well. (I've yet to find a site selling CMT lowers though).

What about Mega, LMT, CMMG, RRA, Bushmaster (I think they just buy someone else's lower and stamp their name on it).....are these "commercial grade" or mil-spec'd to tighter tolerances?

What are the best options for getting a high quality lower that is mil-spec?

Thanks,
Sean
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:10:17 PM EDT
That's pretty hard to say.

Some definetly have better finish than others. Some have that nice super dark black finish, others are more charcoal or greyish.

Of the ones you mentioned above, they've all had an occasional "out of spec" lower where either a mag well was too tight or too loose, or they had holes drilled off just a little where the buffer would end up hitting the buffer retaining pin, rather than the back of the carrier.....

In other words, there is no such thing as perfect. Even buying the best you might get a lemon or something wrong with it.

Don't worry though, out of spec lowers are pretty rare.....I'd just get a Stag or a Mega and save a lot of money. They are just as good as the rest.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:29:25 PM EDT
Bought my stripped CMT lower from:

e-gunparts.com
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:47:21 PM EDT
I would go with MEGA. Every MEGA I have had come across my work bench have been perfect. And for $89 shipped it is hard to beat.

If you are concerned about resale valve stick with the big boys: Colt, Bushy etc.

You are right there is only a handful of receiver manufacturs that everyone buys their receivers from under an ATF variance letter.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:58:12 PM EDT
STAG
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:18:58 PM EDT
not concerned about price?

BUSHY

concerned about price?

STAG
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:22:04 PM EDT
Grizzly LAR, Bushmaster, Fulton Armory, STAG?CMT, LMT...
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:30:21 PM EDT
Be sure to get a CMT, LMT or Colt reciever extension (buffer tube). If you are using a collapsible stock. DPMS, Bushy, RRA etc are all too small for VLTOR, SOPMOD or mil-spec stocks.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 1:45:14 PM EDT by brushdog]
I have several DPMS and RRA receivers. I've handled and shot dozens of Colts and a few Bushy rifles. They've all worked they way I've expected them to work without any problems.

I have an Olympic Arms receiver that had a tight magwell but it broke in after using it. Also, it seems to let the bolt release dig into my upper. It might be machined a little bit too much and the bolt release rests on my upper. I've tried 2 different bolt releases, but it hasn't fixed the problem.

The receiver has a discoloration or 'ring' around the release that I'm not sure what it is. You can also see where the receiver has a 'bubble' of material missing.

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:47:34 PM EDT
Heckler and Koch of course.

Tab Out
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:49:57 PM EDT
I got a stag and it chipped a lot during my build. I think it might be defective. I also got a Lauer (made by LMT?) very nice. I like it the best. I will by a real LMT next
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:36:05 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/25/2005 4:35:08 PM EDT by A_Free_Man]
I had an Oly lower, but it did not have the "tight mag well" many have complained of. It was the T3 forged lower (purchased about 1988).

At one time I had an Essential Arms J-15 lower, and have a good friend with one, too. No problems. they work well. Though these are cast, I have never seen one broken or heard of one broken. I sold it only because it was gray and I could not find gray uppers to match. If I knew about Norrell's Moly Resin then, I would have kept it.

I had a PWA lower, no issues. It was purchased to replace the EA. One of my sons has this now.

Currently I have 5 DPMS lowers, an Eagle Arms (Armalite), and a Cavalry Arms lower. I got the Eagle Arms lower in trade for the Oly lower, traded with a guy in a AWB state.

I bought the Cav lower to build a very light AR for one of my daughters. Her intended usage is for shooting gonads of those who really deserve it. Don't piss her off. the Cav works well.

The DPMS is my choice of lowers. Price, quality of machining, and finish are all excellent. The color matches well with all of the uppers I have compared it to.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:09:59 PM EDT
I have a Predator Custom Shop lower and can't find anything that is not perfect on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 9:20:55 PM EDT
I have a RRA, Lauer (LMT) & 2 Superior lowers and I'm happy with all of them.
All of mine are shooters not show pieces.
Top Top