Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2011 8:00:10 PM EDT
I have a new .625 Clamp DD LP Gas Block, and I was wondering if I should use any loctite on the clamp screws? If so what loctite should I use.

-dbnorton
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:08:08 PM EDT
blue
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:09:34 PM EDT
Rocksett on the screws. Higher temp rating. Loctite 620 around the gas port and contact points on the sides. (Be sure to no get it in the gas port, so when applying to barrel keep it to the chamber side of the gas port and not the muzzle side... then place a small amount on the muzzle side of the gas port in the gas block.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:44:05 PM EDT
Blue will work fine
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:51:09 PM EDT
Yeah i'd use blue, the red is permanent
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:22:06 PM EDT
Both are susceptible to heat and can be easily removed if you know what you're doing.

Originally Posted By GunDisaster:
Yeah i'd use blue, the red is permanent

Why not have it pinned?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:01:45 AM EDT
I don’t use Loctite on gas blocks, if I did it would be blue or purple depending on the size of the fastener.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 11:17:17 AM EDT
None.

Red is "permanent" but I've removed it before without a torch or too much effort, just a candle and some patience. Granted, I didn't put a ton of it on the item.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:29:58 PM EDT
Rocksett
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 6:51:34 PM EDT
Don't use any. It is not necessary at this location. If you use red you will eventually regret it when maintenance is required.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 9:01:44 AM EDT
I hate loctite.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:37:37 PM EDT
If you think red is bad try the green 609 bearing retaining compound
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:17:36 PM EDT
if you think the screws will loosen, just stake them
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 5:28:40 AM EDT
High Temp red 272 on the clamp screws.

I really don't get this "Red is Permanent" fear that some people seem to have with red loctitie. Use a heat gun or play a blow torch over the area, and the shear strength will be reduced so you can unscrew them. Have fitted and removed several clamp gas blocks this way. I get that it is marketed as "Permanent" and it is - until you heat it up. And if anyone is worried about using a blow torch on a rifle barrel/gas block, you shouldn't be - they can get just as hot or hotter when firing. Its not even like you need to get it anywhere near glowing or anything, just keep the flame moving, heat it up, try your screwdriver on the screws. If it doesn't move first time, heat some more, and so on. Easy really.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:25:54 AM EDT
I use red but not till I make sure and shoot it to see if everything cycles fine... Dont make a premanate connection untill you know it runs fine.....
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:34:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
None.

Red is "permanent" but I've removed it before without a torch or too much effort, just a candle and some patience. Granted, I didn't put a ton of it on the item.
Red is what I use on literally everything I ever locktite and its NEVER been a problem to remove.

To call it "permanent" is a joke (I know that is their claim, not yours).

In fact, I wish they made something stronger than the red stuff, as it doesn't do enough for many high vibration applications (such as parts on a motorcycle).

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 8:42:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By parabellum_9x19:

None.

Red is what I use on literally everything I ever locktite and its NEVER been a problem to remove.

In fact, I wish they made something stronger than the red stuff, as it doesn't do enough for many high vibration applications (such as parts on a motorcycle).

They do have the 2620 "Industrial" strength stuff - rated for 650f degrees of heat vs the 450f of the 272 high temp or the 300f or Red 271. Think that is about the top of the line. I've not tried it, however, but might be worth a go?

Loctite 2620
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 9:45:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SA80Dan:
Originally Posted By parabellum_9x19:

None.

They do have the 2620 "Industrial" strength stuff - rated for 650f degrees of heat vs the 450f of the 272 high temp or the 300f or Red 271. Think that is about the top of the line. I've not tried it, however, but might be worth a go?

Loctite 2620

I should get some of that stuff for high heat applications.

Link Posted: 5/2/2011 11:38:15 AM EDT
I only buy 272.
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 4:29:57 PM EDT
I don't use loctite anymore after one gas block I have. I used blue on it and i. Couldnt get the damn thing off at a later date. Stripped multiple allen wrenches. Had to take it to a smith who hammered in a torx bit to get it out. Haven't had any looseness not using loctite.
Top Top