Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2004 6:16:37 AM EDT
I've got a 20" flattop that I'm setting up, I figure I might as well spring for a lower-end Leupold instead of buying something else.  I've got $250 at the most to spend on the scope, what should I get?

This rifle will be used on targets out to 300 (maybe 400) yards (my current range is only 100 yards, I'm looking for a better one) with a bipod or sandbags.  

This will be my first serious scope purchase (I've had a few rimfire scopes, and a Bushnell 3-9x30 that resides on my Rem 597 .22lr, all were impulse buys rather than researched), so I'm not too sure what I need/want.

From what I have found, the Rifleman line and the VX-I line are pretty much my only options, what's the difference between the two lines?

Is 3-9x40 a good size for this application?

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:19:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Both will suit your needs.  If you can, save save save and get a quality scope, the difference is amazing.  If you can't though, which I understand very well, they VXI will serve you well.  3X9 is an excellent scope.  If you can't see your 5' target at 9 power, you need to move closer.

Cheers,

H
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:23:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Is there even a significant difference between the Rifleman and the VX-I?  Just the Wide Duplex vs regular Duplex reticle?

Hokie:
I'm a college kid, $250's what I make in two weeks of work.  I wish I could spend more and get one of the $1000 scopes, but I'm graduating in June and will have to move out on my own at that time.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:29:10 AM EDT
[#3]
In that case, I would hold off on the scope and work your irons till you're poppin' quarters at 300 yards.  Get a good scope as a reward for landing your first job out of college.

Get out of college first man, that's the top priority, not a scope.  Get a good BUIS system instead, like at ARMS40, Knight's 300/600m, or GGG MAD.  All had for under $135.

Been there, and looking back that's what I wished I did.  I went 5 months out of college sleeping on a goddam loveseat cause I spent my cash on a firearm.

But now I've got a sweet bed, sweet woman, and a rather admirable collection of firearms.

Good luck to ya whatever you decide.

H
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#4]
If I may suggest:
Weaver 4-16 is a good scope in your price range.
It is also very resalable to a varmint hunter.
You do NOT want a HV. Duplex as it will obscure toooo much of the target.
Buying a BUIS or carry handle is also a great idea.
Buy the best you can afford but have patience and shop smart.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I snagged a used (but in VERY good shape) carry handle off the EE for $35 a month or two ago.  [:D]

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Kharn,
      I have the Leupold 3-9X40 Rifleman and the only difference between this and the VariX-2 is the click adjustments which for the Rifleman is 1/2" and the VariX-2 is 1/4" and even though both have fully-multi coated lenses, the coatings are a little different. Put them side by side and you will not notice any difference in clarity except in the lowest of light situations and even then you will really have to be discriminating. The Rifleman is as good and beeter than most in this price range and it has the usual Leupold lifetime warranty. You will not regret this purchase. As a second choice, Take a look at the Burris Fullfield 2 3-9x40, very clear well made scope w/1/4" adjust for around $200.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The $250 Leupolds are pretty poor scopes optically compared to the $250 Weaver Grand Slam.
Link Posted: 1/3/2004 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got an older V-II 2x-7x 28mm Leopold Compact, in black (not matte) that I might sell once I get a better scope for my 20"...

If you want me to, I can contact you later on, when I am ready to sell...PM if you are.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top