Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 7:55:43 PM EDT
I'm sure there are some here who have spray painted something or other on their rifle to match "Coyote Brown", "Flat Dark Earth", etc...  

So- which color should I buy?  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:34:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Either no one knows, or they're too afraid to admit they Krylon their ARs!  

BTW- I am wanting to paint the side sling swivel to match the furniture (Coyote Brown.)  Not a big deal, and I'm not worried about ruining it (unlike spray painting a FF forearm or something!)  In the same way, it's not worth paying to have it coated in Norrels or something.  

Does this seem reasonable?  I haven't been able to find anyone who sells/makes a side sling swivel already coated.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:43:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Krylon Camouflage Paints

It is either Sand Dune or Medium Brown that you want.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Krylon Camouflage Paints

It is either Sand Dune or Medium Brown that you want.

WooHoo!  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:30:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My Noveske is mostly Krylon Medium Brown, with a bit of Testors blended in here and there.  I think the Medium Brown would be the closest match to coyote.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/sling.jpg

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My Noveske is mostly Krylon Medium Brown, with a bit of Testors blended in here and there.  I think the Medium Brown would be the closest match to coyote.
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/sling.jpg

Hope this helps

Is the Tango Down VFG Flat Dark Earth?  What all was Krylon painted?  Just the barrel, or the whole rifle?  (When you say, "my Noveske", do you mean your Noveske barrel, or your Noveske rifle?)  I'm a little confused, since the barrel looks to be a slightly different color than the rails...

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#6]
The rifle is a Noveske "Afghan" N4.  The whole thing is painted.  I got one before the TD Flat Dark Earth stuff hit the streets.  All furniture was the TD Tan except the tape switch pocket panel, which was a later add-on and was in the new color.  Can't tell as the whole works got the synthetic-safe Gunscrubber treatment followed by a few light coats of Krylon and Testors.  I started with a base of Krylon Khaki, then Medium Brown and hit a few spots with Testors Model Master  Dark Tan, Light Earth and Olive Drab.  Finished with a Matte Testors clear coat.  The barrel is darker from heating up during firing.  Here's a crappy pic of the paint  job before it saw any decent use.
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/DSC00379.jpg
This shows a light dusting of Khaki which has since worn off, exposing more of the Medium Brown.  The Testors colors are more apparent as well.

I just sprayed a junker mag with the Medium Brown by itself and it looks about like the color of the barrel after use.  Again, hope I could help.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:40:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Man, I've asked this question a million times. If you find out, let me know
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The rifle is a Noveske "Afghan" N4.  The whole thing is painted.  I got one before the TD Flat Dark Earth stuff hit the streets.  All furniture was the TD Tan except the tape switch pocket panel, which was a later add-on and was in the new color.  Can't tell as the whole works got the synthetic-safe Gunscrubber treatment followed by a few light coats of Krylon and Testors.  I started with a base of Krylon Khaki, then Medium Brown and hit a few spots with Testors Model Master  Dark Tan, Light Earth and Olive Drab.  Finished with a Matte Testors clear coat.  The barrel is darker from heating up during firing.  Here's a crappy pic of the paint  job before it saw any decent use.
i13.photobucket.com/albums/a271/croz3212/DSC00379.jpg
This shows a light dusting of Khaki which has since worn off, exposing more of the Medium Brown.  The Testors colors are more apparent as well.

I just sprayed a junker mag with the Medium Brown by itself and it looks about like the color of the barrel after use.  Again, hope I could help.

You must be left-handed, by the way that rifle is set up.

Very nice coloring.  I like the slight camouflage.  Very subtle, yet effective.

I'll try Krylon Medium Brown.  It will only be seeing limited use, so I'm sure it will be close enough.  

Did you hear that, Stangboy555?  KRYLON MEDIUM BROWN should be a pretty good match.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Which version of Krylon do you guys use? Is it bake on? Does it come off? Is it thick? Does it cover the engravings?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top