Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/23/2003 5:31:34 AM EDT
Let me know which one you like best ?

Thanks,
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:50:46 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fell-off-the-truck: Let me know which one you like best ? Thanks, [bounce]
View Quote
The two stocks shouldn't be compared. They both fill to different applications. Also, Vltor offers a post-ban version (rifle Modstock) and Magpul doesn't, unless you pin it in place. The Vltor is just a upgrade components, the Magpul is a complete new Concept. For what it's worth, I love the price, quality and comfort of the Modstock. The Magpul doesn't do it for me. As mentioned before, they should not be compared. LS
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:33:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 9:39:14 AM EDT by new-arguy]
I dont know why you wouldnt want someone to compare them? While I agree that they are very different, they are both stocks for AR15 rifles, so its not really like apples and oranges. I think comparing the two is a very fair question and one I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of. I do not have a VLTOR but I did just order one last night. The reason I ordered one is because a friend asked me to put one on his rifle. Until I actually saw it and tried it, I really didnt like the looks of the VLTOR and was just going to pass. I'm glad my friend ordered it so I could try it. Despite the fact that the VLTOR leaves half your cheek weld on the stock and half on the buffer tube, the cheek weld feels better than anything I have tried. Especially with the battery compartments installed. It really is amazing the difference in feel the VLTOR offers and I enjoyed it so much I got one for myself even though I think they are ugly as sin. There isnt a lot of wobble in the VLTOR, but there is still some. It is more solid than my ribbed stock and my standard stock, but it is no where near as solid as the Magpul. While the VLTOR is an upgrade to the old design, the Magpul stock, as mentioned, is pretty much a completely new design and idea. And in my opinion, a superior one. While I think the VLTOR stock is more comfortable, I think the Magpull is the betterof the two. It is far more versitile and modular. The minds of Magpul really worked overtime on designing this stock. With the VLTOR, you pretty much get a nice cheek weld and waterproof storage for batteries or other small items. The Magpul is a lot more than just that. Even though the Magpul's cheek weld does not feel as nice to me as the VLTOR, it does feel better than any of the other adjustable stocks. This is because with the magpul, you have one continuous and uninturupted tube to rest your cheek. You dont have to have half your face on a stock and the other on the tube. The magpul also has very cool little presets that allow you to choose which position you like the stock to be opened to. I like a position halfway between all the open and all the way shut. With any other stock, you sort of have to slowly fish around until the stop falls into the right mid length position. With the Magpul, find which position you like and then set it to open to that position every time. Its awesome. Whats more, if you or a friend want to bypass that position and go to all the open or a position more extended than what you like, you can bypass the preset easily. In addition, the Magpull is just more modular. It has the ability to use one buffer tube and many different stocks. Even though Magpul only has the one version of the stock out at present, they have plans for several others including a sniper series stock. That is very interesting. But dont let the fact that there is only one version of the MSS system out right not fool you into thinking you dont have a lot of options right now. Their one version, the M93, is extremely modular in itself. You can switch tailcaps to accomidate your needs. Im told waterproof pattery storage will be available very, very soon. There's a steel strike plate available, several sling mounting options, adjustable cheek pieces are on their way. So you get the idea. The VLTOR is an awesome feeling stock and it is a great improvement over any other stock like it. But the Magpul stock is just like nothing else. You see how much there is to talk about an explain with the Magpul, and I didnt even go over most of it. The Magpul stock just does a lot more so there is more to talk about. If you need all of that or not is up to you.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:18:27 AM EDT
[url]http://www.militarymorons.com/[/url] Go to the weapons page on the second page, MM has a compro on the stock you are requesting. I did not like the Vltor stock's look, but after trying the stock out on someone's gun, the feel was absolutely awesome. I love the way it feel. I tried a MSS also, but I like the Vltor the best. beside the price is great.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 9:44:15 AM EDT
SMG, MM has a great review on his site. I enjoyed it and it made me think of a couple things I hadnt previously. Thanks for posting it, and MM, thanks for doing it! FWIW, I hear the price of the Magpul MSS is coming down as they sell more stocks and get better ideas on how to save money producing them. The price between the two is no longer that far off when you consider many, many people have to also purchase the over priced Colt buffer tube when they purchase the VLTOR. Has anyone even tried to install a VLTOR on a non-Colt tube? I have a Colt tube to put it on but may try to put it on a non Colt tube just to see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 12:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 12:09:23 PM EDT by Watch-Six]
I don't have a Vltor, but I have tried to swap the stocks from a Colt CAR stock with other brands. The Colt tube is smaller, and a stock set up for Colt dimensions will not slip onto the buffer from a non-Colt. A non-Colt stock will slip onto the Colt buffer, but is extra loose. Therefore, I really doubt that a Vltor stock will even fit onto a non-Colt buffer tube. Watch-Six
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:22:28 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 1:49:00 PM EDT
Thanks, I have not seen either one in person and was going to order one for a Pre Ban M4 I'm putting together and could not decide which one to get? I still can not decide which one ? new-arguy, Do you have a picture of you SIR gun with the Mag-Pul stock all the way closed that I could see ? Thanks..
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 2:16:09 PM EDT
I prefer the Magpul M93, but I have not used the Vltor. The M93 will get even better as more accessories are built for it. Like the supposid adjustible cheek weld for it. And the different rear caps, either a metal strike plate or a rubber pad. The end it has now is too aggressive for me. -Steve
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:02:12 PM EDT
I dont see how the VLTOR could be more comfortable than the Magpul. Then again since New-arguy does not get to use his cheekweld with his ACOG on his SIR [;)] I suppose the higher rear portion of the VLTOR would allow him to rest his cheek on something instead of air. I am really anticipating getting to try out a VLTOR. Does anyone in the Houston area have one?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:56:35 PM EDT
I still can not decide ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:20:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By new-arguy: In addition, the Magpull is just more modular. It has the ability to use one buffer tube and many different stocks. Even though Magpul only has the one version of the stock out at present, they have plans for several others including a sniper series stock. That is very interesting. But dont let the fact that there is only one version of the MSS system out right not fool you into thinking you dont have a lot of options right now. Their one version, the M93, is extremely modular in itself. You can switch tailcaps to accomidate your needs. Im told waterproof pattery storage will be available very, very soon. There's a steel strike plate available, several sling mounting options, adjustable cheek pieces are on their way.
View Quote
New AR Guy- Just to let you know, Vltor does offer a different stock that fit on the carbine buffer tube. The Rifle Modstock fits either the collapsible or rifle buffer tube. All needed mounting hardware comes complete with the kit. What I like about this option, is that I can convert my M4gery lower assembly into SPReplica. Just swap the stocks, no tools needed. When I meet the guy that works for them at the Puyallup Gunshow, he mentioned that they'll have an "A1" stock shortly. And when mounted on the collapsible buffer tube, it is adjustable for two positions (A1 length and one inch longer). How much will the M95 conversation cost from Magpul? Any one Know? LS
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:26:13 PM EDT
DevL you ar a funny man. IMHO Magpuls are butt ass ugly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:32:47 PM EDT
I had the exact same question about these stocks, I want one that is solid, quiet and wont snag facial hair...Anyone have pics? SorryOciffer
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/23/2003 4:49:35 PM EDT by LordStoner]
Originally Posted By SorryOciffer: I had the exact same question about these stocks, I want one that is solid, quiet and wont snag facial hair...Anyone have pics? SorryOciffer
View Quote
What kind of pictures are you looking for? Rich of Magpul is advertising on the [url=http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=12] Rifles, Uppers, Lowers, Barrels, and more [/url]section. Check it out. OH Yeah, inkeybee, Your exactly right. "RoBoCop on Acid" comes to mine when I first saw it. LS
Top Top