Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2004 8:35:57 AM EDT
I'm wondering of adding another rifle that aids to the range of my weapons...   i want something that can get out to 800meters max...  

so my question is how similar is the .270 recoil compared to that of .308 ... Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:10:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I find the recoil almost identical, but the real answer (of course) is it depends.  They are almost identical for most platforms/comparable loads in reality, but you have to compare apples to apples.  Both rounds are derived from .30-06 Govt.  .270 Win is a necked down .30-06 case to .277 cal (also shortened slightly).  .308/7.62 is .30-06 shortened about 0.4 inches.  

The advantage would definately go to 7.62 in a tactical package, whereas .270 is really nice for hunting (almost never beyond 300m, but probably has the ballistics to go 600m).  .30 calibre bullet is usually heavier in most loads and will generally shuck off wind better (again, depends on bullet design).
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#2]
.308 has better bullet selection for long range work.  If recoil is a issue, consider dropping down to something in 6.5 mm.  Again, they have great selection of match bullets and if you go with a .260 Remington, a modern 6.5 Swede, or a 6.5/284, you'll have plenty of reach.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 1:53:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both rounds are derived from .30-06 Govt......308/7.62 is .30-06 shortened about 0.4 inches.

They are?  It is?

While the official history of the .270 development is a little cloudy, and there are some claims of alternate history and inspiration, it is almost exactly the .30-06 case necked down to .277 for higher velocity and a flatter trajectory than the '06.  Some Winchester gurus claim it was going to be 7mm and since .280 (.284) already existed they called it .270, but I haven't seen documentory evidence to back that part up.  The smaller caliber, higher velocity movement was just starting in the 20's so the '06 neck down makes historical sense.  Some have also argued that the .270 was based on Pederson's protoypes of 6.8x51 (6.8mm, where have I heard that before!?!) that was rejected by the military due to the 8mm Mauser contest (German cartridge made 1903 govt cartridge look wimpy, as did .303 British, so US thought they'd better keep to the peer @ .30 and powering it up to give us the .30-06.  And then McArthur wouldn't give up on .30 cal later when Garand's design won...).

The .308 (and the similar but not same 7.62 - yes, just like .223 and 5.56) history is more clear.  The .308 was the result of semi-auto sporting needing a shorter round to more reliably feed in a smaller action.  .30-06 was (still is) the preeminent king of utility, so the cartridge was shortened.  When the US govt went looking into assault rifles, the cartridge won because it was proven and required minimal armory changes from existing .30-06 ordinance.  Again, yes they had the same small/fast arguments and .30 won again over smaller rounds.  M1 Garand to M14 before we got to the M16.

It would be very interesting to me if someone could conclusively prove that the .270 was based on Pederson's 6.8mm research because it would back up a lot of John Garand's original prototype work as well, which favored a mid-sized, high velocity round.  As something to ponder, imagine if McArthur had gotten it right and gone with Pederson's 6.8x51 to begin with!
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:42:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure the .276 pederson would've been plenty of power with less recoil.  Although I've heard .30-06 garands don't kick that bad anyways.  Either way it worked.  Plus there may be some sense in the fact they had surplus of the .30-06 to use it in the new gun.  But as far as the .270, its my understanding wildcatters necked down the .30-06 case to a .270 bullet.  Now it may be that they got the .270 bullets from the idea of the .276 pederson.  But when did they actually start wildcatting it?  I thought it was earlier than that.  And as far as the .308 being a shortened .30-06.  I'm pretty sure they used the 300 savage as the prototype and formed it a bit different from there.  I could be wrong though?  Regardless I think the size of the rim is the same.  Want to know something interesting, if you take a .45 acp round and take a .30-06 round and place them rim to rim, they're nearly identical.  And if you do the same to the 9mm and the 5.56, same thing.  I wonder if they meant to do that?
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:44:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe manufacturers did that to save money. On a side note, Jeff Cooper once cut down 5.56 brass, put a 9mm bullet on the end, and shot it from a pistol. It was impressive, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top