Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 6:22:17 AM EDT
 After going to a carbine class and doing extensive lowlight firing, I am now in search of a better flash hider than the standard A-2 flash hider. A buddy who was in the same class "had" a standard Vortex but it melted / peeled during long strings of firing. The Vortex "peeled" after about 200 rounds. One of the instructors in the class commented that was not the first time that had happened, and proceeded to correct the problem with a pliers and some elbow grease. Needless to say the Vortex came off after we returned home. The standard A-2 flash hider did not provide too much flash supression. The AR configuration is as follows: A-3 carbine HBAR upper, with a Trijicon Reflex II triangle, LMT BUIS. The loads utilized Federal 69 gr. Gold Medal Match, as I got a great deal for them. Any suggestions on a new flash hider?? All help would be greatly apreciated!!!
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#1]
The Vortex is still the best flash supressor out there. If you are worried about it flowering, you can go with the Phantom.

Even if you got the match ammo at a great deal, why waste it at a carbine class?  Was it that much less than your average blasting ammo?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Who makes the best Vortex?  I have seen more than one brand.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Vinnie - The ammo was purchased on a bulk order a few years ago. I started using it regularly and loved the way it groups,functions, etc. So I went with it....

The Vortex in question was an older model that was kicking around my spares box.Could be that is the problem. Great term "flowering" so exact...sorry I did not convey this! I guess I'll try using a newer model. Thanks all for the info!!  
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the Vortex G6 direct from Smith Enterprises.  That thing is tough!.  I tried to blind pin it on to my 14.5" Bushy bbl.  No go.  While attemting to make a starting point for a drill bit, I broke the tip of my punch off.  Tip ended up IN my hand!  Ouch!!!

You will not have ANY problems with a real Vortex.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top