Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 10:03:26 PM EDT
I'm putting together a .22lr upper, with a Kuehl barrel (7.5"), FF tube and a suppressor (that's currently on transfer).  I'd need a FF tube with no endcap, since the suppressor would have to thread on partially underneath the FF tube.  Any suggestions on WHICH tube to use?  Doesn't have to be anything fancy.  Thanks for any advice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a Daniel Defense on mine as it was very lightweight.

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:27:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a full auto .22 rated suppressor with an outside diameter of one inch.  The free float tubes  were a little big for what I had in mind.  I ended up buying a piece of aluminum seamless pipe (outside diameter of 1 1/2 inches) and cut it down.  Then I fitted the barrel nut to the pipe and used Norrell's Moly Coat.  It is every light, solid, and looks great with a smaller suppressor.  The cost was around $15.00.  This may be an option for you if using a rimfire suppressor.  

Dan

Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:39:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I like the cheaper plain tubes personally.  You can buy a set of three, pistol, carbine, and full length, that use the same threaded base, so you can change the lengths with ease for different applications.  And the cost of three of the cheapies is less than one railed guard in many cases.

Since you have a MG or SBR, .22LR barrel swaps for different lengths would be cake because torque and alignment isn't critical for .22LR, and by keeping the torque light, you can quickly swap barrels, silencers, and guards when they have a common bbl nut/guard base.

They are lighter, too, and feel good in the hand.  How much stuff do you want to hang on a .22LR guard anyhow?  I definitely think that the current trend towards huge amounts of rail is a goof.  Pretty soon, guys are going to mount Pic rails on their baseball hats!

Dan, I really like your setup.  Nice job on that tube.  I dislike big fat guards combined with smaller OD cans.  Is that a "Bust-Off" mag?  It's huge!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Gorilla,
Thanks.  It's a 30 round Ciener magazine fitted to an Orlite mag body.  The function is the same.  It  just looks more like a 5.56 upper with the modified mag.

Dan
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I like the cheaper plain tubes personally.  You can buy a set of three, pistol, carbine, and full length, that use the same threaded base, so you can change the lengths with ease for different applications.  And the cost of three of the cheapies is less than one railed guard in many cases.

Since you have a MG or SBR, .22LR barrel swaps for different lengths would be cake because torque and alignment isn't critical for .22LR, and by keeping the torque light, you can quickly swap barrels, silencers, and guards when they have a common bbl nut/guard base.

They are lighter, too, and feel good in the hand.  How much stuff do you want to hang on a .22LR guard anyhow?  I definitely think that the current trend towards huge amounts of rail is a goof.  Pretty soon, guys are going to mount Pic rails on their baseball hats!

See, that's what I was thinking.  I just need the FF tube so that I can thread the suppressor on to the recessed barrel.   I'm even considering just a plain, round FF tube (would probably BUY one vs. making my own.)  Any more recommendations?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the free-float tube that came with my DPMS .22lr upper.

Its open on the end, so it should satisfy that requirement.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Just remember, you'll then be limited to using optics.  I got a railed end so I could use iron sights, a forward sling attachment point, weapons light/laser, and/or maybe a verticle grip as I am used to them now.

In the picture, the rails are bare, not even any panel covers.  The DD forearms is slim, it's more of an oval in outside dimensions - very comfortable with rail covers on.

However nowadays, I'd use something like a YH forearms that is smooth round but still has threaded holes to attach various length rails at whatever position I want should I want or need them.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 8:54:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Just remember, you'll then be limited to using optics.  I got a railed end so I could use iron sights, a forward sling attachment point, weapons light/laser, and/or maybe a verticle grip as I am used to them now.

In the picture, the rails are bare, not even any panel covers.  The DD forearms is slim, it's more of an oval in outside dimensions - very comfortable with rail covers on.

However nowadays, I'd use something like a YH forearms that is smooth round but still has threaded holes to attach various length rails at whatever position I want should I want or need them.

Didn't even know about the YHM smooth forearms with the threaded holes.  That looks like it'll be the winner.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, I guess they aren't that smooth necessarily, but close enough for me.  The shallow grooves add a bit of grip and the slots aid in cooling.

Nice thing about them is the endcap is optional, and if you want it, it comes in two sizes to accomodate the heavy barrel.

Wish they made the customizable tubes in the "mini" length as well.

The YHM customizable forearms is just one system I looked at, there may be others like it (customizable rails).  I'd look around.  There's bound to be one that's nice and smooth, perhaps carbon fiber even, with customizable rails, that is to say the PRI Forearm.  It's smooth and round, yet customizable for rails.  They have always been sweet.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top