Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 6:26:05 PM EDT
Admittedly, I know very little about the AR platform, and was never really interested in black guns except for the A1 style M16s.  At a gun show last week I came across two sets of new triangular handguards and bought them both.  I am now building my first A1 clone around them.  This weekend I purchased the NODAK Spud A1 upper and lower from Brownells.  Now I am searching for a decent pencil profile barrel.  My only requirement is that it has the non "F" marked .625 FSB pre-installed.  Ideally, I would like a 1:7 twist, but that seems to be pretty rare in this type of barrel so I have settled on a 1:9.  Here's the two that I am looking at:

#1 http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=BARREL-20LWT19
#2 http://www.sherluk.com/m16a.php  Model # 15hb205ltfs

I was able to contact both companies for information.  Sherluck.com claims that their barrel (#2) is made by ER Shaw.  AR15Sport.com was not forthcoming with their barrel maker.

Not knowing anything about either retailer, I ask you.  Which would you buy, or do you know of a better barrel solution for this type of build?

Thanks for your knowledge and input.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:30:46 PM EDT
Two places:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w7pEEBUP1xMKdDeomZ392fhL95waa-DrdRGYRTVtxtw/edit?pli=1#gid=486239104

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/ar-15-m16-m4-rifle-barrels/
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 6:47:12 PM EDT
Great resources! Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:16:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:30:34 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What you bought are Brownells products. These are not A1 lowers and uppers made by NoDak Spud LLC.
Just a clarification on your purchase.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This weekend I purchased the NODAK Spud A1 upper and lower from Brownells.

What you bought are Brownells products. These are not A1 lowers and uppers made by NoDak Spud LLC.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

I was under the impression from their write up that you guys made the parts and Brownells finished them. Anything wrong with these?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:13:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:24:57 PM EDT
Quoted:

What specifically in the Brownells parts description led you to believe that NoDak Spud made the lowers and uppers?
We sold lower and upper receiver forgings (aluminum pieces in the general shape of the lower and upper but not machined in any way) to Brownells. Brownells had the forgings machined and finished.
The Brownells parts should be good to go, but we have made no examinations for specs.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This weekend I purchased the NODAK Spud A1 upper and lower from Brownells.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

I was under the impression from their write up that you guys made the parts and Brownells finished them. Anything wrong with these?

What specifically in the Brownells parts description led you to believe that NoDak Spud made the lowers and uppers?
We sold lower and upper receiver forgings (aluminum pieces in the general shape of the lower and upper but not machined in any way) to Brownells. Brownells had the forgings machined and finished.
The Brownells parts should be good to go, but we have made no examinations for specs.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC

They state "...designed in conjunction with NoDak Spud...".  Like I mentioned, I'm new to this. I just assumed that they were your forgings and design specs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:11:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:56:00 PM EDT
gotta love ad men.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:14:02 PM EDT
Get a Colt 6720 barrel, it's 1/7 twist
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:49:06 PM EDT
Quoted:
Get a Colt 6720 barrel, it's 1/7 twist
View Quote

20 inches? no

Rifle length gas? no
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:57:43 PM EDT
I was thinking carbine, I guess the triangle hand guards were the clue. since brownells was mentioned I think they have a 20" retro barrel available.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:02:11 PM EDT
Quoted:
I was thinking carbine, I guess the triangle hand guards were the clue. since brownells was mentioned I think they have a 20" retro barrel available.
View Quote

It would be a great barrel for an XM177 style build.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:27:24 PM EDT
I just dumped a bunch of money on a Colt 733 barrel for an XM build, I need a good faux moderator
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:31:26 PM EDT
Quoted:
I just dumped a bunch of money on a Colt 733 barrel for an XM build, I need a good faux moderator
View Quote

http://shop.ar15sport.ihoststores.com/productinfo_v3.aspx?productid=RETRO-XM117E2-MOD

The only one I know of right now.^^

I purchased one from Brick some time ago but haven't seen any available from him in a while.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:33:27 PM EDT
I want one of Bricks, I've been eyeballing the Griffin but it just don't seem to have the mojo the Bricks does.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:35:12 AM EDT
Brownells will have LW 20inch 1-7 after 1-12 carbine barrels are released  is my understanding.  Kinda surprised they aren't available yet.  Should be getting real close. May have to inquire.  There is a Brownells thread that I believe said barrels were sent out for chroming and available in two weeks or such over a month ago.  Wondering?

OP I'm guessing you are chomping at the bit.  Sherluk used to be alright for milspec M-16 parts.  Never bought a barrel from them but think I'd rather have the E R Shaw at $175 than other option you posted personally.

Think I'd wait and get what I wanted.  Patience and having the coins ready to spend when parts become available are two important puzzle pieces for decent retro builds.  I wouldn't let a F stamped FSB sour my deal either as you can't see stamp from 2 ft away and some of the F height FSB's aren't even F stamped today.  Won't have much effect on a 20in with longer sight radius regardless of FSB height..

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:15:29 PM EDT
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll do some research into the Brownells option, and wait a bit.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:44:28 PM EDT
Quoted:
View Quote

For use with a 11.5" barrel, you may need to go with Tony's Customs' XM moderator. I believe that it can be used with a 11.5" barrel and still come out to just over 16" when pinned and welded.

http://www.tonyscustomsllc.com/product/ar-15-xm-177-style-flash-hider/

Griffin Armament has one, but it needs at least a 12.25" barrel if you are going to have it pinned and welded.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:53:58 PM EDT
Green mountain or ar15sport
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:42:28 PM EDT
Just saw a Colt A1 profile 20" 1/7 in the EE (not mine) and remembered this thread.  Check it out.
An error occurred on the server when processing the URL. Please contact the system administrator.

If you are the system administrator please click here to find out more about this error.