Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/1/2009 5:04:07 PM EDT
I am finishing my latest upper, a Noveske 18" SPR Barrel with Larue 13.2 Free float handguard built all mounted on a Denny's/CMT Special with M-4 cuts. I am not sure which BUIS I should mount, either the Noveske/Troy BUIS or Magpul BUIS. The BUIS will be mounted on the rail, so I have no chance of the Magpul BUIS melting if mounted to the gas block. The Magpul BUIS set is about $100 USD cheaper, but don't know if the Noveske BUIS are worth the money. I am mounting a Leopold Scope on Larue LT-135 Mount so the rear Magpul or Noveske BUIS has enough clearance. What do you guys think? I posted pictures of the build so I can get input on which BUIS. Thanks

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:09:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both. If you have the extra money I would go with the Noveske/Troy BUIS. In my opinion the Magpul is just too big and bulky even though its lightweight.

Its great on my .22 upper though.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:09:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I have Magpuls on my SPR. I figure it's going to be a pretty bad day when my scope goes down and I don't have my backup Recce with me. My Recce has LaRue/Troys since it may be the only thing I'll grab. I doubt I'll ever need the SPR in real life, so the magpuls are good enough. Spend the extra cash on something else.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:12:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Troy from who ever marks it.

LaRue,Noveske,S & W all are Troys.

They are by far the BEST buis made right now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Troy's are nice, if you have the coin get them. If you want to save a few dollars get the Magpuls.
I have both and like them both. Don't think you can go wrong with either
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Very Nice They are the same BUIS, but different markings. I only thought about the Noveske because this upper is mounted on a Noveske N4 lower, and wanted to stay consistent, even though it has Larue handguard and optic mount.  

To be honest, I am a little torn on which one to buy. I have the coin to spend on the Noveske BUIS, but I really like Magpul products, and at $100 USD cheaper for the set ($79 USD versus $260 USD), it is a very good bargain. Plus the reviews on the Magpul have been great, so I am really torn on  which one to buy. But then again, the Noveske/Troy are the best BUIS, and I just ignore that fact, even though I could buy more mags with that $100 USD. Something to ponder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The troy sights are definitely worth the money
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I run both and like them. The Troys are built like a little machined tank. High quality and the Noveske branded model has that awesome iron cross. But, I really like the instant-up deployment on the Magpuls. I make the choice based on how far back I need to mount the rear BUIS.

With a scope or Leupold CQT, the rear sight will generally need to be all the way back. The Troy is narrower at the top so it allows better access to the charging handle with the sight stowed. With an aimpoint or similar sight mounted farther forward, I can mount the Magpul rear sight a few rails forward of the charging handle. The wider top on the Magpul doesn't bother me if I mount it so it stows forward of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
TROY FTW!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Since I am not the one buying it.......Noveske(troy).
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Troy.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Shop around and you can get the Troy for less than 260.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want tought/beat them up and keep going stuff. TROY.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have both. If you have the extra money I would go with the Noveske/Troy BUIS. In my opinion the Magpul is just too big and bulky even though its lightweight.

Its great on my .22 upper though.

what he said.  i love larue, and noveske, "why cant they just get along"?
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a limited budget for guns and gun parts. Which make me have to get the best with what I can. I am running a Magpul back site that I picked up for like 30-50 bucks and a Yankee Hill front for about 50-60. May not be pretty with a mixed set but the other day at the range my red dot went down and I was able to finish shooting with the BUIS. And still had fun.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Magpul.  I'd say troy's if they were your primary sights, but they're not.  You'll zero them and most likely never use them after that.  If you need to, they'll be plenty good to get you out of the shitty situation you've gotten yourself into.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Troy.........and the apertures are same plane.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:40:15 AM EDT
[#19]
You could dare to be different, and consider another option. The PRI BUIS. They can be had for considerably less than Troys, and I personally think they feel less cheesy / more solid. They also utilize the same plane aperture.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]
well, the pri's aren't that much cheaper and by my math, if you can find he magpuls for 80 and the troys for 250, thats a 170 dollar difference...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:11:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You could dare to be different, and consider another option. The PRI BUIS. They can be had for considerably less than Troys, and I personally think they feel less cheesy / more solid. They also utilize the same plane aperture.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/DSC_1032.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/DSC_1033.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/DSC_1034.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a122/BrianNH/DSC_1035.jpg

I'm really wishing this is what I would have done. I looked at a set of PRIs and I was pretty impressed with them. They did feel a little more "signifcant" than the Troys.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Troys if you have the money...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm really wishing this is what I would have done. I looked at a set of PRIs and I was pretty impressed with them. They did feel a little more "signifcant" than the Troys.

Through Brownells with the discount, I paid about $50 less for the PRI set than what the Troys would have cost me. I know the Troys are proven and very popular, but these are very nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Isn't this the kind of decision we all make when building up rifles?  And a big part of the attraction of the AR platform?  High end billet machined parts or just functional parts to save a buck?  Choices are what it's all about!!   Do you want your rifle top end with all the best stuff?  Sounds like you do with Noveske bbl etc.  (maybe why Noveske uses Troy)

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top