Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:40:21 AM EDT
I am trying to help a friend pick out an AR and I was just curious what the hive mind thought would be the best deal from these two choices.  Which of the below would you rather choose?

Option #1 (His preference)
Ameetec upper and lower
Ameetec bolt carrier group
Predator Rail System
YHM flip up front and rear sights
ACE Socom M4 stock
chorme lined M4 profile barrel
Phantom flash hider
Ergo Grip

(It is the LE carbine at this site: http://www.ameetecarms.com/)

Price: $1,395

Option #2 (my preference)

Midlength SPR upper from Adco:
RRA upper receiver
RRA bolt carrier group with Crane O-Ring
18" SPR profile barrel
Daniel Defense 12.0 rail
PRi SS gas block

ARMs 40 BUIS
Troy Industries Folding Front Sight
RRA lower w/ no stock
Ace Socom M4 stock

Price: $1,464

The price difference is a consideration but it is not a deal breaker.

My friend really wants the Ace Socom M4 stock, front and rear folding sights, and a rail system.

My friend's major argument for the Ameetec AR15 is that it already has all of the parts included in the rifle and it is a little cheaper.  He also prefers this rifle because it will already be put together; he does not want to have to deal with assembling the rifle himself.  From my research, Ameetec has a good reputation and the Phantom rail system is pretty solid.  

My major arguments for the other AR is that people generally regard the parts on that rifle as better.  I think that a majority of people would choose Daniel Defense over the Phantom (but I am not sure).  I have felt the Daniel Defense handguards and they feel really solid, I have never handled the Phantom rail system before.  Also, I would rather have a Rock River upper and lower over an Ameetec; again this preference is based primarily upon general opinion and not as a result of negative opinions regarding Ameetec uppers and lowers.  The upper and lower would already be put together.  The only things that would have to be done is to attach the stock (it is being ordered from another vendor) and then pin the lower to the upper.

In the end, I know that this is his decision and he should get whichever rifle he thinks that he would enjoy better.  I feel that the second rifle is a better deal then the first rifle, but from what I have read both rifles would be very high quality.  I just prefer the second rifle over the first because of general reuptation of the parts that have gone into it.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Get BOTH!

eta: both are fine choices, both will go bang, and both will get the job done right.  It's easy to get caught up in the latest fads & gizmos, but either choice will be a superior set up to a stock AR15.  You said it yourself - it's his choice anyway.

As for RRA, all I can say is that my upper and lower fit tight, which is real nice.  My Bushmaster and Stag both have a little slack between them.  Otherwise I couldn't tell the difference between them outside the logos.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
If I *had* to choose between the two, the MIDLENGTH no question.  I think the Hive Mind favors building it out.  Sometimes cheaper and always just the way you want it.

$0.02
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:56:42 AM EDT
[#3]
For those prices, I'd go SLR15.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#4]
That's an easy one... option 2 from Adco.  Steve is a great guy to deal with, those are all very high quality components, and would make a kick ass rifle.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's an easy one... option 2 from Adco.  Steve is a great guy to deal with, those are all very high quality components, and would make a kick ass rifle.

+1 and the ace socom stock is crap, i wouldnt even trust it on airsoft
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:29:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I would definately prefer option #2. That being said, however, if it is your friends rifle, and he prefers #1, than I would get #1. if he doesn't like it after he gets it, he can always sell it and get #2 later.

Nick
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would ask what the intended purpose of this rifle is.

Your friend might want a lighter weight carbine over a heavier short rifle.

Also, you have no listing of optics, which would add a great amount of money to one firearm or the other.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:01:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Colt 6920  or Arms Tech Compak16 in semi.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
For those prices, I'd go SLR15.

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
The mid-length system settles it right there.  Go RRA.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top