Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2016 7:21:21 AM EDT
I'm trying to fill a few gaps in the safe before 41F arrives and doing a Form 1'd AR-10 lower seems to be another thing I want to get now in case I "need" a short barreled upper that requires the larger AR10 magwell in the future.

Realizing that I probably won't be getting any uppers in the immediate future, which stripped lower would be best for compatibility with different manufacturers uppers in the future.

I guess the first question would be, is there compatibility between AR10 uppers and lowers from different manufacturers, or are you pretty much locked into using one brand of lower and uppers?

I'm wanting to go with a DPMS/PMAG compatible lower, but my limited research seems to show that most companies are following that mag pattern, vice the Armalie pattern. Please let me know if that assumption/assessment is incorrect.

I was looking at an Aero Precision M5 stripped lower, but this is just based off my initial research and availability.

Apologies for the broad stroke question, but the AR10 world is not something I've researched heavily up to this point so any insight or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC uses the same Magpul/DPMS pattern magazines. The mag design goes back to the original Armalite AR10. Eagle/Armalite swapped to modified m14 mags during the assault weapons ban because more M14 magazines were available. Recently Armalite started offering rifles that use the original pattern KAC/DPMS/Larue/Magpul mags.

Armalite B series take modded M14 mags.

Armalite A series take original pattern mags.

As to your original question, I would buy a matched set. While DPMS clones are most common, there is no guarantee they actually work together.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:55:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
KAC uses the same Magpul/DPMS pattern magazines. The mag design goes back to the original Armalite AR10. Eagle/Armalite swapped to modified m14 mags during the assault weapons ban because more M14 magazines were available. Recently Armalite started offering rifles that use the original pattern KAC/DPMS/Larue/Magpul mags.

Armalite B series take modded M14 mags.

Armalite A series take original pattern mags.

As to your original question, I would buy a matched set. While DPMS clones are most common, there is no guarantee they actually work together.
View Quote

Thanks, I edited the OP to fix the incorrect info on KAC pattern rifles not being compatible with DPMS/PMAG mags.

And thanks for the heads up, this is kinda what I was thinking: get a stripped upper/lower combo and stick them in the back of the safe for a day when I know what I want to build and have parts in hand.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can weld, $41 DPMS Gen 1 pattern, currently widest compatibility:

http://www.theflatspot.net/308-receiver-flat-dpms-style-like-ar-10.html

Someone even once shoehorned an AR-10B upper onto a DPMS Gen 1 lower, albeit w/ some modifications.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you can weld, $41 DPMS Gen 1 pattern, currently widest compatibility:

http://www.theflatspot.net/308-receiver-flat-dpms-style-like-ar-10.html

Someone even once shoehorned an AR-10B upper onto a DPMS Gen 1 lower, albeit w/ some modifications.
View Quote

You're really pushing those. Well, i think i can recall atleast 4 different times you've suggested that. Could be way off.

Have you tried them? Know anyone who has? Or trying to push them to get someone else to be the guinea pig? Ha!

That's not bad, I've got a little 120v mig welder.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:52:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't have access to the kit needed to take something like that to a useful firearm, unfortunately, so I think I'll be sticking with a matched upper and lower set.

Any recommendations on which companies to seek out, and which to avoid?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:45:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Mega MaTen is gonna be the best set i believe. And the CMT and Rainier sets coming in close second.

2A Armament just released their light weight set.

I'd avoid Aero, PSA, and any other bargain bin set. There's alot at play with the 308 ARs that the cheap guys haven't gotten down yet. You can get lucky, but with the investment these things being, i feel it's not worth the risk taking a chance on the bargain bin players.

Armalite is great, but receivers aren't really available. Sometimes you'll find them, but not very often.

So, I'd highly suggest getting the Mega MaTen lower, then getting uppers as you go. You can find them on the EE for a deal usually, and plenty of parts companies stock them. But, you gotta jump on them because they don't usually stay in stock for very long
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Mega MaTen is gonna be the best set i believe. And the CMT and Rainier sets coming in close second.

2A Armament just released their light weight set.

I'd avoid Aero, PSA, and any other bargain bin set. There's alot at play with the 308 ARs that the cheap guys haven't gotten down yet. You can get lucky, but with the investment these things being, i feel it's not worth the risk taking a chance on the bargain bin players.

Armalite is great, but receivers aren't really available. Sometimes you'll find them, but not very often.

So, I'd highly suggest getting the Mega MaTen lower, then getting uppers as you go. You can find them on the EE for a deal usually, and plenty of parts companies stock them. But, you gotta jump on them because they don't usually stay in stock for very long
View Quote

Thanks for the insight on MaTen, CMT and Ranier.

Will start looking at who has any or all in-stock at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm trying to fill a few gaps in the safe before 41F arrives and doing a Form 1'd AR-10 lower seems to be another thing I want to get now in case I "need" a short barreled upper that requires the larger AR10 magwell in the future.

Realizing that I probably won't be getting any uppers in the immediate future, which stripped lower would be best for compatibility with different manufacturers uppers in the future.

I guess the first question would be, is there compatibility between AR10 uppers and lowers from different manufacturers, or are you pretty much locked into using one brand of lower and uppers?

I'm wanting to go with a DPMS/PMAG compatible lower, but my limited research seems to show that most companies are following that mag pattern, vice the Armalie pattern. Please let me know if that assumption/assessment is incorrect.

I was looking at an Aero Precision M5 stripped lower, but this is just based off my initial research and availability.

Apologies for the broad stroke question, but the AR10 world is not something I've researched heavily up to this point so any insight or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Eric
View Quote

Wait what is 41F?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wait what is 41F?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Eric

Wait what is 41F?

What 41P turned into when they changed up some of the points. Basically, I want to get a few more stamps on my trust before needing to do fingerprints and photos.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
If you are going this route, get matched receivers from the same manufacturer, and not one of the el cheapo offerings.

I personally would not get the large receivers, as they just don't feel good in the hands compared to the small ones.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What 41P turned into when they changed up some of the points. Basically, I want to get a few more stamps on my trust before needing to do fingerprints and photos.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Eric

Wait what is 41F?

Thank you
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top