Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 8/9/2014 9:08:06 PM EDT
So after putting together a half of dozen rifles for family and friends I figured it was my turn again!

But for some reason I can't decide how to finish it. I didn't want a lower end build but I don't have a Noveske budget. After building on PSA, Spikes, Smith & Wesson, Seekins and Aero Precision lowers; I decided for my own to go with a matched Aero Precision upper and lower from DOA. Aero had one of the best finishes and tolerances out of the bunch but combined with the price is hard to beat.The set I received there is no play in them at all.

So here is how she sits now:

Aero Precision upper and lower
MOE Plus grip Foliage
MOE trigger guard Foliage
PSA LPK
Rainier Receiver extension and H buffer
Magpul STR Foliage
BCM Gunfighter
Noveske qd latch plate

I know I'll be swapping out triggers to an ALG and it will be rocking an LMT bcg.

So how to finish it? I want CQB to medium range ability so I'll be dumping some 2.5x optic on it. I also want a midlength gas system and 4150 cmv. So what rail and barrel? I'm leaning toward a Fortis rail but have no idea what barrel.

What says the hive?

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:00:27 PM EDT
By CMV do you mean you don't want it chrome lined?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:26:24 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By glockr:
By CMV do you mean you don't want it chrome lined?
View Quote

ChroMe moly vanadium steel.

I guess I'm open to barrel suggestions....I just don't want bright stainless.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:39:35 AM EDT
Get a nitrided or melonite barrel (same process) - they are much better than chrome lined and last for pretty much a minimum of 10,000 rounds.

Use a nice handguard. If you don't want it to break teh bank, maybe a Midwest Industries SS Gen 2. It comes with modular rails sections included and is around $170

Pick what you like for a muzzle device.

Try using Gunstruction on your computer. Lots of great parts and options there. You can get a really good idea of what your finished rifle will look like.

Sights are up to you - there are a lot of options for those also. just heard that you can get the newer Magpul Pro sights for $125 for the set - they aren't polymer. Someone's having a sale on them.

Your lower looks really nice. So, I have a feeling the end result will also be really nice. Don't rush it though. Save some of the money for more ammo. Look for parts at good prices and catch them on sale. Over the next 4-5 months, companies are going to be having specials.

My guns are everyday use guns, not safe queens or range toys so I build mine to be used and to last. All my guns get workouts and used. I hunt, I raise livestock that I kill some of for food, I also had to put down our old horse last winter.

So, build it to do what you need it to do. The one AR I have, I built to a specific function - predator control. We have sheep. There are a lot of wolves and coyotes around. I have started another one - that will be a saddle gun for up in the mountains while on horseback - the mountains are only around a mile away. We live in the valley between two mountain ranges in the Rockies in Idaho. After I finish this one then I will build an AR10 in .308 as a really good hunting rifle. Then, I will be finished with my AR's.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:55:56 AM EDT
First off, I'll go ahead and take a little bit of undeserved pride in the fact that so many people from all parts of the country are building their AR's off of lowers made right here in the State of Washington...Aero, Mega, Rainier, Surplus Ammo and Arms, etc. I guess us native Washingtonians are pretty spoiled!

To answer your question, my personal opinion based on what you have thus far...I'd go with a Spikes LW midlength 14.5" barrel pinned and a Midwest Industries Gen2 T-Series 9 inch rail in FDE. It would look good and perform pretty darn good as well! My favorite rifle (out of the 14 that I have) has that same barrel/rail combo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:24:37 AM EDT
That's how I was I wanted a mid length gas system for the best range I could get with out a massive barrel. So I went with rock river arms! I'm waiting on my bolt release and then il be about to tell you how it works. I went with RRA 16 inch chrome lined 1 in 9 twist that way you can shoot a bigger variety of bullet grains. I also went with an advance technology institute hand rail it's awsome, you can put anything anywhere on it! Hope it helps good luck
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 8:32:38 AM EDT
Take a look at the ARP barrels. Prices and accuracy are excellent and they are melonite.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:12:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2014 10:14:30 AM EDT by Strikefirst]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WHSmithIV:
Get a nitrided or melonite barrel (same process) - they are much better than chrome lined and last for pretty much a minimum of 10,000 rounds.

Use a nice handguard. If you don't want it to break teh bank, maybe a Midwest Industries SS Gen 2. It comes with modular rails sections included and is around $170

Pick what you like for a muzzle device.

Try using Gunstruction on your computer. Lots of great parts and options there. You can get a really good idea of what your finished rifle will look like.

Sights are up to you - there are a lot of options for those also. just heard that you can get the newer Magpul Pro sights for $125 for the set - they aren't polymer. Someone's having a sale on them.

Your lower looks really nice. So, I have a feeling the end result will also be really nice. Don't rush it though. Save some of the money for more ammo. Look for parts at good prices and catch them on sale. Over the next 4-5 months, companies are going to be having specials.

My guns are everyday use guns, not safe queens or range toys so I build mine to be used and to last. All my guns get workouts and used. I hunt, I raise livestock that I kill some of for food, I also had to put down our old horse last winter.

So, build it to do what you need it to do. The one AR I have, I built to a specific function - predator control. We have sheep. There are a lot of wolves and coyotes around. I have started another one - that will be a saddle gun for up in the mountains while on horseback - the mountains are only around a mile away. We live in the valley between two mountain ranges in the Rockies in Idaho. After I finish this one then I will build an AR10 in .308 as a really good hunting rifle. Then, I will be finished with my AR's.
View Quote

My next build will be a .308.

My guns don't get run as hard as they should...we live in a small city....so unless I go North back home to the country or we go to see my wife's family in Kentucky they are range guns....1 round fired every 5 seconds maximum.

My current rifle I built will become my truck gun and general SHTF. This one I want to be able to role critters back home but have the ability to be a defense weapon. I'm not a huge fan of SPR's....I have a 30-06 with really nice glass that just sits there most of the time.

I also was considering a pinned FSB instead of gas block.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:29:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/10/2014 10:33:10 AM EDT by that_random_guy]
For barrel, given your wants, I would suggest either the AR performance socom (I think it's called), or one of WMD's that are a little cheaper but you can choose your twist rate and finish.

For a handguard (if it's in your budget), the BCM KMR is pretty sweet, otherwise I like the Samson evolution or Troy vtac a little more than the fortis, but that's just me.
Top Top