Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/13/2005 5:09:25 AM EDT
I'm trying to find somewhere to buy raw forgings at.  Anyone know a good source?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:43:27 AM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with them but I remember DSA listing them last I looked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
i bought 3 of these a few months ago, and machined one to completion. waiting for better outside temps to do the anodising. great stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:39:52 PM EDT
[#4]
shurluk marketing
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 2:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i bought 3 of these a few months ago, and machined one to completion. waiting for better outside temps to do the anodising. great stuff.

I get mine from DSA also. Justashooter, did you use my e-book at all in your machining process?
users.wfeca.net/rbrandes/ray-vin/

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought a raw forging from Stag Arms a While back. I think for about $15.00.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:54:00 AM EDT
[#7]
In answer to ray-vin.  I am maching out the mag well now. I am using your book.  You have rendered a great service.  Your mill is much better than mine.  I have a Smithy 3 in 1, but with the book it is getting the job done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You better buy a bunch.......
www.anchorharvey.com
They make uppers/lowers/charging handles etc.
The Sales Manger is a wimp. QA is a joke, but they are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 10:21:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You better buy a bunch.......
www.anchorharvey.com
They make uppers/lowers/charging handles etc.
The Sales Manger is a wimp. QA is a joke, but they are dirt cheap.

A wimp?  Please, no!

What do you mean their QA is a joke?  The stuff they sell to civvies doesn't  (likely does not) go through the same QC as military contract stuff.  Understandable.

I have no problem with them.  Bought a hundred a couple years ago, so I am speaking from some experience.

What are the problems you speak of?  I DO want to know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 4:29:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
In answer to ray-vin.  I am maching out the mag well now. I am using your book.  You have rendered a great service.  Your mill is much better than mine.  I have a Smithy 3 in 1, but with the book it is getting the job done.

Chuck D,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope your lower turns out just great!
Have you cut the trigger/safety cavity yet? I learned from Frank White (CompassLakeEngineering) that the width of the opening where the take-down tab fits into the lower should be as tight as possible. This greatly reduces rattle between the receivers similar to what an accu-wedge does.

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:49:32 AM EDT
[#11]
What type of mill do you use ray-vin?  Any of you guys use a cnc mill or just do all of it manually?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Nope, I am using a manual mill with DRO.

Ray-vin's book is one of those books that is more than the sum of its contents.  It is a step by step description of how to tackle a complex machining problem.  Not too many gun enthusiasts have a machinist's background with blueprint reading experience.

I am using Ray-vin's approach to machining a 1911 barstock receiver.  Still havent' finished one, but if I do I would write up a step-by-step approach like his.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top