Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 3/13/2005 4:09:25 AM EST
I'm trying to find somewhere to buy raw forgings at. Anyone know a good source? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:43:27 AM EST
I have no experience with them but I remember DSA listing them last I looked.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:48:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:42:07 PM EST
i bought 3 of these a few months ago, and machined one to completion. waiting for better outside temps to do the anodising. great stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:39:52 PM EST
shurluk marketing
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:44:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By justashooter:
i bought 3 of these a few months ago, and machined one to completion. waiting for better outside temps to do the anodising. great stuff.

I get mine from DSA also. Justashooter, did you use my e-book at all in your machining process?
users.wfeca.net/rbrandes/ray-vin/

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:13:04 AM EST
I bought a raw forging from Stag Arms a While back. I think for about $15.00.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:54:00 AM EST
In answer to ray-vin. I am maching out the mag well now. I am using your book. You have rendered a great service. Your mill is much better than mine. I have a Smithy 3 in 1, but with the book it is getting the job done.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:12:20 PM EST
You better buy a bunch.......
www.anchorharvey.com
They make uppers/lowers/charging handles etc.
The Sales Manger is a wimp. QA is a joke, but they are dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:21:47 PM EST

Originally Posted By 1GunnerHogan1:
You better buy a bunch.......
www.anchorharvey.com
They make uppers/lowers/charging handles etc.
The Sales Manger is a wimp. QA is a joke, but they are dirt cheap.

A wimp? Please, no!

What do you mean their QA is a joke? The stuff they sell to civvies doesn't (likely does not) go through the same QC as military contract stuff. Understandable.

I have no problem with them. Bought a hundred a couple years ago, so I am speaking from some experience.

What are the problems you speak of? I DO want to know.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 3:29:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By ChuckD:
In answer to ray-vin. I am maching out the mag well now. I am using your book. You have rendered a great service. Your mill is much better than mine. I have a Smithy 3 in 1, but with the book it is getting the job done.

Chuck D,
Thanks for the kind words. I hope your lower turns out just great!
Have you cut the trigger/safety cavity yet? I learned from Frank White (CompassLakeEngineering) that the width of the opening where the take-down tab fits into the lower should be as tight as possible. This greatly reduces rattle between the receivers similar to what an accu-wedge does.

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:49:32 AM EST
What type of mill do you use ray-vin? Any of you guys use a cnc mill or just do all of it manually?
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 5:53:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 6:03:39 AM EST
Nope, I am using a manual mill with DRO.

Ray-vin's book is one of those books that is more than the sum of its contents. It is a step by step description of how to tackle a complex machining problem. Not too many gun enthusiasts have a machinist's background with blueprint reading experience.

I am using Ray-vin's approach to machining a 1911 barstock receiver. Still havent' finished one, but if I do I would write up a step-by-step approach like his.
Top Top