Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2003 5:57:43 PM EDT
OK. So I like to collect and store crap in mil ammo crates.  Does anybody know of a viable source for official USGI LC 5.56 wood crates?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:07:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 12:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Roger that.
Thanks, Troy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 2:23:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Troy is absolutely correct, two cans held together by wire, wood and a soft lead seal.

You might be thinking of ordnance crates, but some of those can be a bit long and narrow for your intended purposes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I saw some wooden ammo crates on the side of the road in s. oklahoma (apparently an ammo man. plant somewhere around there) that were $3 apeice.  They were originally intended for 2 105mm howitzer shells, but they just happen to hold 12 South african battle packs perfectly (got to have help to carry one loaded that heavy though!)
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Troy is absolutely correct, two cans held together by wire, wood and a soft lead seal.

You might be thinking of ordnance crates, but some of those can be a bit long and narrow for your intended purposes.
View Quote

I think it was just wishful thinking.

I have pics and footage of Lake City employees "Crating up"  ammo can pairs with slabs of pinewood and wire. Thanks anyways.

Now it would be cool to get official M16 ordanance crates. Anyone?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Like the crates they make 'em negotiate in basic training with the rope handles? I just built one of my own for storing polished brass!
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:33:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like the crates they make 'em negotiate in basic training with the rope handles? I just built one of my own for storing polished brass!
View Quote

Yup, Thar be the ones!
Anybody?
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw some wooden ammo crates on the side of the road in s. oklahoma (apparently an ammo man. plant somewhere around there) that were $3 apeice.  They were originally intended for 2 105mm howitzer shells, but they just happen to hold 12 South african battle packs perfectly (got to have help to carry one loaded that heavy though!)
View Quote

Yeah I would see those in I think the Mccallester(sp)OK area
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Rule of thumb ammo that comes in cans has no crate worthy of calling a crate.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one of those wooden crates  it held 1640 rounds of Malaysian M193   On the top of the crate it says "5.56 BALL" it's Olive drab in color, kind of a cool looking box, I think I paid like $15.00 for it  box if you want it let me know  my email address is [url][email protected][/url]

Dan
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have one of those wooden crates  it held 1640 rounds of Malaysian M193   On the top of the crate it says "5.56 BALL" it's Olive drab in color, kind of a cool looking box, I think I paid like $15.00 for it  box if you want it let me know  my email address is [url][email protected][/url]

Dan
View Quote

Thanks but I've got 2 of those as well as 4 Guatmalean OD 5.56 crates.
Link Posted: 8/5/2003 11:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
If anyone has a picture of an M16 crate with the markings, please post it.

I would love to make one, it would add the perfect touch of "evil" to my EBR...Imagine what the neighbors will say!
Link Posted: 8/6/2003 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I would love to make one, it would add the perfect touch of "evil" to my EBR...Imagine what the neighbors will say!
View Quote

I'd like to see this too, please!
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 8:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
there is a crate for power charges of 105 mm that is deep enough to hold ammo cans.  but when full of ammo will easily weigh 300 pounds.  these crate are a little longer than the shell crates and much deeper.  

if you want the wood crates for ammo call the CMP they'll probably give them to you, if you pay shipping.  if you live close enough to the store go and ask.  make yourself a stencil and put whatever you want on top of the existing markings.  all the ammo they have that comes in 50 cal cans comes this way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2003 10:40:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The M4's we just finally started receiving from Colt aren't in wooden crates, but packed in cardboard boxes in a pallet (with a styro liner to each box if I am not mistaken).
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top