Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2006 2:26:34 PM EDT
I've been looking for a finished Titanium lower receiver but have had no luck what-so-ever.  My question is, are there any companies out there that sell Ti lower receivers and if there is, what is a good distributor to buy from?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms is the only company I know of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:45:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Why do you want titanium?

The weight difference between titanium and aluminum is very small.  Titanium is very hard to work with and results in much higher costs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't mind doing some tool work:

www.vbd.com/noc/shop/products_detail.asp?CategoryID=29&ProductID=286

oops didn't see the other link.  Same as the one above,  sorry.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My question is, are there any companies out there that sell Ti lower receivers and if there is, what is a good distributor to buy from?

TRY THIS LINK
http://www.tanneryshop.com/

WILLAIM
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I was looking to get something that was already completed as I'm working on one of Willaims 80% lowers right now.  The reason I wanted Titanium is because I believe in working out weak-spots in designs and the carbine tube threaded into an aluminum lower is definitely a weak spot.  I'm not saying that aluminum won't work, because it has and will continue to do so with little to no problems ever being encountered.  However, I'd rather not have the rifle that I use for "in-case-shit" to be made of alumi-junk if I can spend an extra hundred dollars to have Titanium.

If things keep going the way they are, it looks like you'll be getting another order from me in the near future William!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
However, I'd rather not have the rifle that I use for "in-case-shit" to be made of alumi-junk if I can spend an extra hundred dollars to have Titanium.

A.  In the state you live in, I'm shocked anything is legal.

B.  The AR15/ M16 family probably isn't the correct weapon if you don't like aluminum.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:25:56 PM EDT
[#8]
How long has the ar series been aluminum?  How long has something screwed onto the lower in order to install a stock.  How many m4/ar-15 are out there with carbine stock.  How many of those have you heard having a broken area that this guy speaks of?  Honestly.....I bet you are more likely to see something else break much earlier than this.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:39:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A.  In the state you live in, I'm shocked anything is legal.

B.  The AR15/ M16 family probably isn't the correct weapon if you don't like aluminum.

Lol, yeah well not too much is legal here, (you should see the pistol laws!) but we deal with what we can.  I've got to go through alot of BS to make it mass legal but in the end... it's not worth up-routing my family...  just yet.

I figured you guys would rip into me about the aluminum comment  But I do like the AR series... I just don't like a few things about them.  I guess you could call me picky.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
However, I'd rather not have the rifle that I use for "in-case-shit" to be made of alumi-junk if I can spend an extra hundred dollars to have Titanium.

If things keep going the way they are, it looks like you'll be getting another order from me in the near future William!

This post proves you really don't have a fucking clue what you are doing.

Have you ever flown on an airplane?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:28:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah this guy is an idiot
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#12]
"I'd rather not have the rifle that I use for "in-case-shit" to be made of alumi-junk if I can spend an extra hundred dollars to have Titanium."

If they are out there, they will cost a whole hell of a lot more than that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, I was looking to get something that was already completed as I'm working on one of Willaims 80% lowers right now.  The reason I wanted Titanium is because I believe in working out weak-spots in designs and the carbine tube threaded into an aluminum lower is definitely a weak spot.  I'm not saying that aluminum won't work, because it has and will continue to do so with little to no problems ever being encountered.  However, I'd rather not have the rifle that I use for "in-case-shit" to be made of alumi-junk if I can spend an extra hundred dollars to have Titanium.

Welcome to the site.  Can't help you on the TI lower info.  
Hey Cat...I don't know what you plan on doing with your lower or AR, but I haven't even heard of someone screwing up a AR lower other than whacking a trigger guard ear off with a hammer (JB Weld fix), running over an AR with a truck and bending up the receivers (back to square 1 to buy another AR), and or a few parts breaking (that are easily replaced), and saw a picture of a lower that must of had a kaboom where the mag well was pushed out some(wtfhh,idk???).  
Weight savings would be negligible, cost would be expensive, for the same money as TI I would think you could buy at least 1 more "spare" lower.  You ever watch some of the military footage where soldiers are entering a building via a high window, one or two guys is holding an AR so it can be used as a step; or two guys are holding an AR and a wounded GI is sitting on it being carried out?  Oh, they've been used to bust open ammo and C-Rat crates with the buttstock also.  Not the best way to use an AR, but it's been done.   ymmv
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#14]
why not go the extra mile and get the bronze one they sell. then you will have a pimp stick. titanium would be good tho. who else has one.and the planes at work have a shit load of titanium in them
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:59:53 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Nope, not a clue in hell.   Thanks for the flame.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, not a clue in hell.   Thanks for the flame.

Structural supports that make up an airplane's superstructure are made the same way as an AR-15 receiver with the exact same materials.

If you have gotten on an airplane in the last 70 years, you have trusted you life to this manufacturing process, so why won't you trust an aluminum AR-15 receiver?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:20:26 AM EDT
[#17]
The dude asked a question about obtaining Ti lowers,not personal opinions on whether or not you liked them or not.Why the flames HERE of all places Scotty ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:35:19 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

There is quite a differance between instigating and flaming,look it up
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#20]
I know that why I took the post away, Sorry
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:28:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The dude asked a question about obtaining Ti lowers,not personal opinions on whether or not you liked them or not.Why the flames HERE of all places Scotty ?

Because he is ignorant about Al forged lowers and his "opinion" is completely not based on any facts or logic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I smell a
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I smell a

+1

I was going to comment on that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Listen, I asked a simple question because I couldn't find the information.  I'd like to say that I was expecting more from a firearms based online community.  However, it is the internet.

If you want a reason that I want a Ti reciever, here it is:  I've owned two AR's to date one is now a pile of junk that I was going to use as a parts gun.  Too much weight pressed against the buttstock (in the ground) with a leverage point high on the barrel (resting on a table) and me falling into the damn thing (I'm an idiot) pulled the carbine stock/tube part-way out of the reciever stripping the threads in the process.  I could have just had a bad chunk of Al. or maybe I just hit it perfectly wrong.  Either way I don't care, it happened and I don't trust that part of an AR anymore.

I'd rather have a stronger material to thread into for the carbine I put beside my bed... do you still have a problem?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Listen, I asked a simple question because I couldn't find the information.  I'd like to say that I was expecting more from a firearms based online community.  However, it is the internet.

If you want a reason that I want a Ti reciever, here it is:  I've owned two AR's to date one is now a pile of junk that I was going to use as a parts gun.  Too much weight pressed against the buttstock (in the ground) with a leverage point high on the barrel (resting on a table) and me falling into the damn thing (I'm an idiot) pulled the carbine stock/tube part-way out of the reciever stripping the threads in the process.  I could have just had a bad chunk of Al. or maybe I just hit it perfectly wrong.  Either way I don't care, it happened and I don't trust that part of an AR anymore.

I'd rather have a stronger material to thread into for the carbine I put beside my bed... do you still have a problem?

Yeah I still have a problem because the "problem" you speak of doesn't exist.  (NOTE: I didn't say your experience did not happen)

FACTS:

The AR-15 has existed almost 50 years with Al receivers.
Many other firearms use AL receivers with stuff threaded into them.  They do not break and people depend on them everyday in extreme situations.

I would also like to know what brand of receiver you were using.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:45:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Jesus Christ, some of you acting as if he's asking to build a post ban M16 by "filing down the firing pin".

Now, for your question. I'm sorry, but I dont know of any complete titanium receivers. To my knowledge, DPMS still makes a stainless steel one though.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:10:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Gunsmith_JM,  I like your question about titanium receivers, I think it would be neat to have a Titanium Lower Receiver.  It's definatly not something that everyone else has.

Oly Arms list's theur Titanium Lower Receiver part number "T3Ti" and price is "Please Call".  Probably a special order item.
You may want to try the 80% path, it could make a nice project.

Good Luck.

Chief
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I would also like to know what brand of receiver you were using.

+1

My $5 says it was a cast reciever...

+1
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top