Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 2:47:36 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2004 3:04:16 PM EST by Opesus]

What cleaning supplies do I need? I have basic stuff for rifles/shotguns from a Hoppes cleaning kit so I have a basic cleaning rod, as well as solvent and oil. What's the advantage of a Dewey-coated rod? Where can I get a rod guide to protect the muzzle?

Thanks, and as usual for most people, cost is important, but so is protecting a $800 investment.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:26:13 PM EST
Here:

Sinclair International

If you need cleaning supplies of ANY variety, they have them.
Granted they are mainly for reloaders, but they have the best variety of cleaning supplies I've found anywhere. And they often get new products before most stores do.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:30:04 PM EST
I'm going to check out that sinclair link but I've yet to see anybody rival Brownell's
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 4:45:23 PM EST
Sinclair =good stuff
Brownells and Midway will give ya a discount if you have a C+R (worth getting for this reason alone)
I deal mostly with midway and brownells and they seem to charge a fair ammount for shipping
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:08:38 PM EST
You don't need anything to get the discount from Brownells. I love Brownells, they have the best ship notifications, stock indicator and service on the web.

I don't care for Midway, they charge a restocking fee.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:24:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/12/2004 7:28:57 PM EST by Blankwaffe98]
I get most of my stuff from:

www.deweyrods.com

www.midwayusa.com

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:28:20 PM EST
Sinclair. Brownells.

Forget farting around with the stupid computer.

Call either one, ask for real and true service, and you will get good people on the other end of the line that know what the sam hell they are talking about.

With Brownells just ask for the the tech support, and honestly talk to the guy on the other end.

With Sinclair, even the dadgum Janitor is a shooter with a serious habit.

The rest all hire 19 yr old college students to answer the phones, and they don't know a clip from a magazine.

Do about $10,000.00 annually with Brownells and they are easier to deal with than our own supply system!

If it's in either catalog, the product is worth the cost.

S-28

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:08:05 AM EST
Russ Hayden's Shooting Supplies

Russ Hayden's
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:07:56 AM EST
How long of a cleaning rod should I get? I have a 16" barrel, but want to be ready for a 20" barrel in the future. Are there any sorts of barrel/rod guides that are only a couple dollars, as opposed to $18?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:22:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Opesus:

Thanks, and as usual for most people, cost is important, but so is protecting a $800 investment.

I suggest you take your own advice.

I think you're doing the right thing by researching the available choices, learning how they're utilized, and deciding if they're required in your situation.

I'm comfortable using a USGI style kit with my chrome-lined Bushmaster bore and my non-chrome-lined military surplus rifles. Length can be added or removed by adding or removing a cleaning rod section. Your mileage may vary.

Best wishes.
~Craig
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:30:51 PM EST
I just buy my stuff locally
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:10:42 AM EST
www.otisgun.com

Cable cleaning system, will clean EVERYTHING you own.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 9:54:22 AM EST
Can I use a memory flex rod with regular attachments? I kind of want to buy just the flex rod than an expensive aluminum/graphite one.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:00:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By Opesus:

Can I use a memory flex rod with regular attachments? I kind of want to buy just the flex rod than an expensive aluminum/graphite one.

Probably anything but a jag, since you can't really push things.
Top Top