Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2004 5:12:15 PM EDT
I have heard from someone here that you can buy silver solder paste at LOWE'S and HOME DEPOT for under $10, and it's the same exact thing as the $25/oz stuff available at Brownell's.  Does anybody know this to be true?  Does anybody know the item number?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Just wait 2 weeks and it won't be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

It will be for the 14.5" postban M4 uppers.

I think I made the mistake in buying it locally. I got some stuff that the melting point is 450F. Someone else might know of some other locally available stuff.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 5:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

It is an issue because I have a 14.5" post ban barrel w/ak brake that will be getting a vortex after the ban.  I need to be at 16".
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
My bad.

Another silly law, but it probably does have the teeth that the AWB lacks.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 6:31:16 PM EDT
[#5]
nobody knows?
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Try a jewelry supply house

G
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 7:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
 Silver solder is a common item at welding supply houses.  I haven't seen the paste though.  It usually comes in flat strips 1/16-1/4" in width and in different alloy and temp ranges.  I normally use it for high pressure lines, it's considered a brazing alloy.  The smallest package is usually 5 to 10 rods/strips, each about 1 yard long.

I do have to ask, you do have a oxy-acetyline brazing rig to melt this stuff, right?

mm
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 Silver solder is a common item at welding supply houses.  I haven't seen the paste though.  It usually comes in flat strips 1/16-1/4" in width and in different alloy and temp ranges.  I normally use it for high pressure lines, it's considered a brazing alloy.  The smallest package is usually 5 to 10 rods/strips, each about 1 yard long.

I do have to ask, you do have a oxy-acetyline brazing rig to melt this stuff, right?

mm

supposedly there's a paste that contains the flux and solder that you can brush on to the threads, screw on the flash hider, and heat up with a mapp gas torch to 1100 degrees, and it's done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I found a place that sells a tube/syringe of it online, in paste form.

HD/Lowes have no clue what I was talking about when I spoke with them. They pointed me to the standard spool solder when I was there. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/28/2004 8:59:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Try a jewelry supply house

G

That's where I found it in AZ.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Before the ban it was pretty common to find 11.5" "commando" barrels with removable 5.5" flash hiders. I don't remember  a requirement for those to be permanantly affixed.  

The AWB required muzzle comps and such to be permananty fixed but it seems to me when the AWB expires that requirement goes away.  I've looked though the AWB and the laws existing before the AWB and I could find nothing indicating the a flash hider has to be permanantly welded on.

I could be wrong though so call and ask ATF yourself.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Monkeyman:
The AWB (codified at 19 USC 921 et seq) distingishes between flash hiders and muzzlebrakes, as well as threaded barrels.  Under the soon-to-expire AWB, the barrels could not be threaded and remain post-ban.  Solution: permanently attach a non-flash suppressor/non-granade launcher to cover the threads.

The National Firearms Act (NFA) (codified at 26 USC ch. 53) requires rifles to have both an overall length greater than 26" AND barrels greater than 16", OR be registered as Short Barreled Rifles (SBR's). The barrel must not be readily convertable to a sub-16 inch length, hence the requirement that the attachments to sub-16" barrels be "fixed" or permanent.  Violation of the NFA is a 10 year/$10,000 penalty -- serious stuff.

Don't confuse the requirements of completely different laws.  BTW the NFA is part of [legislation] from I beleive the 1930's, and it's not going anywhere any time soon.

This reply goes equally for your response in this thread: 11.5 inch barrel  

Cheers, Otto

Edited to correct the penalty, above.
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Monkeyman:
The AWB (codified at 19 USC 921 et seq) distingishes between flash hiders and muzzlebrakes, as well as threaded barrels.  Under the soon-to-expire AWB, the barrels could not be threaded and remain post-ban.  Solution: permanently attach a non-flash suppressor/non-granade launcher to cover the threads.

The National Firearms Act (NFA) (codified at 26 USC ch. 53) requires rifles to have both an overall length greater than 26" AND barrels greater than 16", OR be registered as Short Barreled Rifles (SBR's). The barrel must not be readily convertable to a sub-16 inch length, hence the requirement that the attachments to sub-16" barrels be "fixed" or permanent.  Violation of the NFA is a 10 year/$10,000 penalty -- serious stuff.

Don't confuse the requirements of completely different laws.  BTW the NFA is part of the GCA from I beleive the 1930's, and it's not going anywhere any time soon.

This reply goes equally for your response in this thread: 11.5 inch barrel  

Cheers, Otto

Edited to correct the penalty, above.

NFA was 1934

GCA is 1968

One is not a part of the other really, unless you say they are both part of the US Code.

But yes , 16" minimum for barrels. 11.5" bbls need to have something permently attached to make it 16".
Link Posted: 9/2/2004 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

NFA was 1934

GCA is 1968

Thanks. Edited to fix it above. (I knew the GCA was '68 -- what was I thinkin'?)

Cheers,
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top