Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2004 4:50:09 AM EST
Does anyone know of a source for cannelured 75 grain ammo loaded from Hornady or Blackhills that can be purchased by civilians or indivdual officers instead of letter head? It does not need to be high velocity but does need to be the cannelured 75 grain Hornady OTM bullet.

Individual boxes OK but a source for purchasing byt he case would be preferred. Also has anyone done any accuracy testing with the 75 grain ammo cannelured vs uncannelured? If so what were your results?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:51:28 PM EST
www.natchezss.com has Hornady TAP 75gr in SAMMI loading. It is cannelured.

all are approx: 1000ft ASL, 85F, chorno @ 10ft, 16" 1/7 barrel, 10-shots

Avg: 2568fps, ES: 55

I have many lots of this ammunition, and they are very consistent lot-to-lot in both velocity and accuracy. I did some shooting when it was a bit cooler out @ around 70F +/- 5F and got around 2530fps average.

For comparison, same conditions as above, 20-shots:

BH Red Box 75gr, no cannelure:

Avg: 2633fps, ES: 62

I've only chronoed a single lot, so I can't comment on lot-to-lot consistentcy.

BH Blue Box 75gr, no cannelure, 36-shots, multiple lots:

Avg: 2546fps, ES: 78

The high ES is not because of multiple lots as it happened in a 10-shot string from the same lot. However 2 other lots (10 and 6 shots) used had ES of 68 and 49 respectively. The numbers above reflect the average of the 3 strings.

Best groups with each ammunition were limited by both my shooting skill and the scope/mount. The scope is a barely useable POS and the mount is something I rigged that was not intended for a scope at all. I was lucky to get the results I got, I doubt if I could replicate them at will.. maybe on a good day. My interest was purely trying to shoot as accurately as possible to test what the rifle was capable of as I mostly shoot irons.

Shot groups were 3-4 shots each @ 100y, measured center to center, different day than the chronograph testing.

BH Blue Box 75gr: Hovered between 1/2" and 3/4", called pulls opened up other groups.
BH Red Box 75gr: 3/4" groups, called pulls opened up other groups.
Hornady TAP 75gr: 3/4" groups, 1 group 1/2", called pulls opened up ot her groups.

All of them performed similarly on paper but I feel that the real limits were the scope/mount and myself. Perhaps if those items could be eliminated one of them would remain at 3/4" while another might do 1/4". Hard to say.. they were all good enough to please me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:21:34 AM EST
Thank you, exactly what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 1:42:49 PM EST
Also try Georgia Precision for BH.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:08:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 3:09:46 PM EST by DevL]
I was not aware Georgia Precision had cannelured 75 grain ammo available....

Did something change? I know the order I placed for the special run 77 grain cannelured ammo from GP has still not arrived and that has been many months of waiting.

I am looking for a RELIABLE source of cannelured 75 grain ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:14:39 AM EST
I had heard from a lady at Georgia Precision that the deal with the BlackHills 77gr. cannelured ammo will probably not happen -they have to get enough buyers for a pallet (25,000 rounds)-and folks have been cancelling out due to the fact that its been months and no ammo .

I was gonna put my name on the list but decided not to -its alot of money to tie up in something that may not pan out.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:22:42 AM EST
The new order was supposed to be made and is not 25,000 but Black Hills said they do a smaller order. It WILL be made according to GP. Again does GP carry cannelured 75 grain black Hills yes or no?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:19:10 AM EST
no.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:07:38 AM EST
Well -if we are so misinformed here -why dont you call them or go to thier website.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:31:02 AM EST
Hmm, maybe I should expand my "no" answer.

GP does not have cannelured BH 75gr with a cannelure in stock, nor have they for quite a few months. I call to check from time to time.

Tommy HAS said that in the past the BH 75gr has come with and without a cannelure it just depended on what BH got from Hornady which did ship BH 75gr w/ a cannelure here and there.

If I could get SAMMI BH 75gr RED BOX with a cannelure, I would in a heartbeat. But since I have not seen BH 75gr Red Box with a cannelure ANYWHERE in the past year or so, Hornady TAP 75gr is what I stock up on.
Top Top