Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/19/2009 11:42:22 AM EDT
I’m working on a custom build for my wife as a Christmas present. I've got my own anodizing rig and want to do something "not so black" for her.  I figure her own low recoiling AR is a good way to getter worked up to high powered rifles.  I shouldn't say this but it's gunna be pink  

I could buy one that's already been Type III coated and strip it down to bear but you loose at least 2 thousandths and I don't want to loosen the fit any more than i have too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Oops! First post and I did a double
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’m working on a custom build for my wife as a Christmas present. I've got my own anodizing rig and want to do something "not so black" for her.

We sell our 603 (A1), 604, and 605 pattern uppers 'in the white'.

Harlan
NoDak Spud LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Harlan
I'm gunna need a flat top for her, I wish I would have known before I built my last one.
Thanks,
Doug
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
You can always send a black one hereUS Anodizing to have it refinished.  They offer various colors.  They do excellent work.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can always send a black one hereUS Anodizing to have it refinished.  They offer various colors.  They do excellent work.

I would/could/might do that myself but Type II anodizing (the type I can do at home) is about .001" thick and Type III is .002" thick.  If I stripped the factory coating (.002 X2)  I would subtract .004" on the inside radius where the  barrel ext mounts and only add back .002, that's assuming I was paying attention and didn't dissolve more than just the anodizing.  You strip Aluminum Oxide (Anodizing) with Lye, it dissolve almost everything known to man, including but not limited to the raw aluminum.  I could go that route but I would have a very sloppy barrel fit.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:13:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Yellow Logic Billet Upper
Not exactly a "standard" upper, but it is a flat top, in the white.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would/could/might do that myself but Type II anodizing (the type I can do at home) is about .001" thick and Type III is .002" thick.  If I stripped the factory coating (.002 X2)  I would subtract .004" on the inside radius where the  barrel ext mounts and only add back .002, that's assuming I was paying attention and didn't dissolve more than just the anodizing.  You strip Aluminum Oxide (Anodizing) with Lye, it dissolve almost everything known to man, including but not limited to the raw aluminum.  I could go that route but I would have a very sloppy barrel fit.

I'd give them a call to discuss it.  Victor is very nice to work with.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yellow Logic Billet Upper
Not exactly a "standard" upper, but it is a flat top, in the white.

They are exceptionally nice upper receivers.

I've got two of them that they opened the ejection port up for the SOCOM case - just need to find somebody to anodize them.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:42:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a thought.  Are the parts machined with the tolerances adjusted in anticipation for Type III anodizing?
If this is the case, the OP may be in the same boat (loose fit) buying "in the white" and anodizing with type II as he would if he stripped and refinished a type III receiver.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#10]
That's a good point.  I'm not all that concerned with the difference in thickness between type II and type III, I'm more worried about stripping too much material when from an already coated upper.

Those billet ones sure are nice looking

Still not sure what the best route is, anodized and dyed colors look tons better than any other coating so I will diffidently have it anodized, just not sure what the best route is.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top