Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2003 7:06:02 PM EDT
I recently started the installation of a KAC FF Ras on my Fulton Armory upper.  After a bunch of experimenting I figured outa good technique for removing the fake flash suppressor and gas block, so I feel like I am most of the way there.  However I still have to remove my barrel nut.

I don't have a bench vise nor a bench to mount one.  I attempted to use my shooting bench, as it is based on a black and decker workmate table/vise, but it wouldn't hold the action block.  I have been looking all over the house for a good place to clamp it down with a c clamp and some wood, but so far everything starts making noise like its going to break. I am using an action block.  Any clever ideas?  By the way, this nut is standard threading right?  I turn it left to loosen just like most any other nut?  Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,
--Dan
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Park your truck on top of it.

Or buy a vise.

[:D]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Nope! Nothing beats a bench mounted vice... unless that would be a barrel vice... at any rate, like any job, you need stability to make it work out right... 15 minutes in a neighborhood service station, will save you several hours of grief and broken shadetree fixtures! And you are correct! Lefty Lucy, Righty Tighty! Although, one of my rules of life, is: "Upside down backwards, is always, upside down backwards!" In short, make sure your looking at it from the front! till...later...GT
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:32:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I found an old small heavy wooden table at the thrift store for $12 bucks and I bolted a vise to it.Its 2'x 3' and I have used it to do all my AR work. I use an action block and you do need it held in a vise.Look around for an old wooden table and get a "good" vise. If you are like me, we dont have a nice big garage or work shop with a bench...We need to improvise, but dont try to attach or detach parts when the peice is not held down well or it my turn to tears. I learned my lesson in the past.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a real neat old cutting block in the kitchen, its in horrible shape but it has some style to it.  It must weigh 300-400lbs.  I just mentioned to my wife that I could bolt a vice to it and when I was done there would just be a couple small holes in it.  "Did you really think I would go for that?" was her reply.

Ha Ha,
--Dan
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
When I got divorced I bolted a vice to my coffee table.[:D]
Its removable, so I dont leave it there. I once left it on for a week.
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#6]
LOL
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#7]
NOTE TO ALL AMATEUR AR-15 GUNSMITHS:

I found a 100% rock solid alternative when a good bench vise just isn't available.

I took a 6" C clamp down the street to a playground with concrete picnic tables.  The concrete tabletop were about 3" thick, so combined with the action block, I had about 1/2" to spare from a 6" C clamp.  I clamped the action block down to the concrete table and cranked the barrel nut right off, no problem.  I installed the new barrel nut and torqued on it until a hole lined up for the gas tube.  This was 100% solid, I had no trouble at all.

--Dan
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I took a 6" C clamp down the street to a playground with concrete picnic tables.
View Quote

You worked on an AR at a playground. That was a good idea. Not!
Link Posted: 8/9/2003 7:59:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, it was only an upper assembly, and it wasn't an A2 style, so it didn't scream "machine gun".  I kept the barrel wrapped up in a t-shirt to be more secretive too.  Trust me, I thought it over plenty before I walked down to the playground.  It was a late saturday afternoon and damn it, I HAD to try it.

Have a look at the finished product:

http://home.pacbell.net/dankgus/rifle/RAS.jpg

--Dan
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top