Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2005 4:03:44 PM EDT
I received my second BUIS from TROY today.  About 3 weeks ago I called TROY to inform them that my sight leans to the left when mounted on a receiver.  They told me it is a known problem, and to send it back and they will fix it.  After they had it about 2 weeks I called to see what was going on.  They told me that they were waiting for it to come back from manufacturing, and it would be on it's way.  I asked them if they were modifying the existing sight or replacing it.  I was told they were modifying the existing sight.  I asked them to mount the sight on a rail to be sure it is fixed before they send it back.  They said that every sight is mounted to ensure proper alignment before shipment.  Today, I received a new sight, slapped it on, and just like I was afraid of... it is canted to the left!  I can accept one defect, but this is rediculous.  For $150 I shouldn't have to deal with this crap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I received one last week and had to send it in because it was canted.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Troy is supposed to be the best,i saw a write up on them and they were liked more than the rest.
I went with the ARMS and GG+G and like them both.Looks like there still working out the bugs at Troy.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:25:36 PM EDT
[#3]

What was their response?  Did they tell you the same thing they told me?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

What was their response?  Did they tell you the same thing they told me?

After asking many questions they acted like this was the first they had heard of it.  Then I explained to the woman that there was an 8 page thread on the topic, and I found a couple other threads on other boards that were 2 to 3 pages long.

I was then told that something was out of spec on one of their batches and "a few" crooked sights had gotten out of the factory.

I was told to write a note as to who I bought the sight from, to add that I had tried it on several receivers (ie. showing that the BUIS is out of spec, not the upper), etc. and to ship it back to the factory (on my dime) and they would have a new one out to me in a few weeks.

I own 6 other Troy BUIS's and have never had a problem with any of them and still highly recommend them.  But the situation still pisses me off.

I'm hoping they will make good on the botched sights.

Keep us posted.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:55:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, I was just getting ready to buy one, now I'm not so sure.
I don't wanna drop $140 for a BUIS and not get the best.
Keep us updated.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Damn, I was just getting ready to buy one, now I'm not so sure.
I don't wanna drop $140 for a BUIS and not get the best.
Keep us updated.

+1 I think they look good but if they're going to be crooked, I'll get something else.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#8]
TTIWWP
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#10]
You guys made me reopen the safe! Recieved / installed one tonight. It's fine. Damn nice sight, but I know it sucks to recieve defective crap when you're paying top dollar.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:07:40 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I have been told by a couple sources that I consider very reliable.  There was one run or batch of sights that were out of spec.  All sights leaned to the right.  All of the defective sights were produced in the last couple months.

Troy is aware of the problem.  If I were going to order a Troy Ind BUIS right now I would order directly from Troy to ensure that you got a new production sight (not one from the batch a couple months ago).

I have delt with Troy on several occassions and they are a good company who back their product.  I'm sure they will make things right.

Troy's BUIS is the best on the market by a WIDE margin, I still highly recommend them.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:46:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:19:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I know Troy and if you have a leaning sight they will take care of it.  

Denny

Its not a matter of taking care of it, its a matter of the time line in which they do it.  For MIL/ LEO who are using these weapons for real, sending things back and forth and playing the waiting game is unsat.

I agree that it sucks that they got a bad batch of parts, and I understand that industry wide there is a problem with the availablity of decent machine shops and getting needed items in a timely manner, but that should not be the problem of the end user for a top ranked company.  

If you are shelling out top dollar, it is with the expectation that you are getting the best with no questions asked.  Thats not the case when things like this are happening.  ALL BUIS should have been recalled for replacement.  The problem then goes back to the shop that did the out of spec work, not the grunt with the gun.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Simply another case of get the product out W/O quality assurance to back up said quality of the product.
Everyone wants it now and there going to rush it out!
There ALL doing it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 3:34:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I have 3 Troy rear BUIS, all work fine.

Any mass produced item has a few bad ones from time to time, and even a bad lot.

Give them a chance to make it right.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought Knight's 600m was the best, then again only for my outfit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I have two sets of Troy's and both are absolutely perfect. I have never understood the practice of publicly bashing an entire company or product over a simple problem with one example.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:55:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I have two sets of Troy's and both are absolutely perfect. I have never understood the practice of publicly bashing an entire company or product over a simple problem with one example.

While I agree that publicly bashing a company over a single product flaw is not always the best solution BUT having re read the initial post I have to agree with this one. I also have 2 sets of Troy sights that are perfect. If I had a sight that was crooked and sent in for repairs, got a crooked sight in return after several weeks wait ( if I knew it wasn't my reciever) I would be pissed off too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
You guys made me reopen the safe! Recieved / installed one tonight. It's fine. Damn nice sight, but I know it sucks to recieve defective crap when you're paying top dollar.

+1
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:34:26 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

It's not one example, I have seen SEVERAL people who have had the crooked Troy BUIS.  As "Stickman" pointed out:

"For MIL/ LEO who are using these weapons for real, sending things back and forth and playing the waiting game is unsat.

If you are shelling out top dollar, it is with the expectation that you are getting the best with no questions asked. Thats not the case when things like this are happening. ALL BUIS should have been recalled for replacement. The problem then goes back to the shop that did the out of spec work, not the grunt with the gun."

I received my Troy BUIS from a well known dealer weeks after Troy was made aware of the problem.  The smart thing to do would to have recalled ALL the defective sights, as to limit the number of defective sights getting into customer's hands.  To not recall the defective sights is irresponsible and bad for buisness on Troy's part.  Not only am I out the time I have to wait, I'm also out extra money because I had to package the sight up and ship it on my own dime.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#23]

I will exchange your canted one for one that I have personally checked for vertical alignment.
I know that if I paid $140 for a rear sight and it was really crooked I would not be happy either, but we need to see what the problem is.

Denny

Denny, the first sight that I received was from you .  You have been great, and your service is excellent.  I might take you up on your offer.  I will post some pics later this afternoon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:13:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Sooooo.............Most of the guys posting here are having the same experience I am, their sights are straight.  

Maybe a few crooked ones got out, but from what I am seeing in this thread the sky is NOT falling.  So far, in the current run, none I have installed have been canted, and no end users I have shipped to have reported a canted sight.

If some one has a canted one I would like to have it to see if I can figure out where the problem lies.  I have a suspecion it is the clamp and if so I think I can correct it in the shop.

I will exchange your canted one for one that I have personally checked for vertical alignment.  

I know that if I paid $140 for a rear sight and it was really crooked I would not be happy either, but we need to see what the problem is.

Denny

Denny,

All the sights I have seen pics of, and the sight that I had ALL leaned to the left.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:25:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Are the sights so canted the rifle cannot be zeroed?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:30:28 AM EDT
[#26]
hmmm i would have figured better quality considering how much u pay for troy stuff
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:54:17 AM EDT
[#27]
Hope things work out well for everybody.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:47:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top