Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2008 3:24:59 PM EDT
I just got a new AR-15 and need to zero in the iron sights.  The weather forecast shows little trees blowing over, but it looks like maybe 15mph sustained with higher gusts.  Is it useless to try zero my sights in in those conditions?  Or given that I'll zero in at 25m will this even matter?

S
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Reduced range?  It will not matter.  Drift is a function of time of flight, just like drop.

Even at 200 yards, the fastest ammo will have the lowest flight time.  And least drift.

Yeah, if you compare 75 grain ammo doing 2700 FPS  with 45 grain doing 3400, the lighter bullet will have less drift at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#2]
You should wait to fine tune your sights on a calm day, but can get a close in on a windy day and later fine tune. Here is some reading on bullet drift . I always believe to shoot the biggest bullet your twist will allow.
http://www.theoutdoorwriter.com/shooting/heavy_bullet.htm
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Good learning with wind.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I decided to abort zeroing a scope yesterday because it was windy enough that I couldn't hold the barrel still. That's too windy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Damn, it has been windy these past few days!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Hurricanes???

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
 At 25 meters a 15 mph gust will have no affect on the bullet in that short of a flight time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
Damn, it has been windy these past few days!

It really has been windy, the windiest Spring I can recall in recent memory in TX.  I'll probably go give it a try tomorrow and see if I can get consistency.  Thanks for the replies.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#9]
It has been miserable windy.

It may not alter the bullet path at 100 yards, but I like to have everything calm so I know I did my best instead of thinking my hat is fixing to blow off and beat my bullet to the target.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:00:09 AM EDT
[#10]
At short range 25 or 50yds your good so long as the wind doesn't blow your target 90 degrees horizontal or yourself off the bench. Hats make good moving targets,too.   It'll still be fun. Take an old cardboard box, open it and put a few fist size rocks in the bottom. Makes a good frame to tape the four corners of your target to.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top