Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/29/2003 8:37:03 PM EDT
Do you think the Republicans will let the 1994 "AWB" sunset first in September and THEN debate renewal (wouldn't that be funny?) or do you think they will debate it sometime between now and Sept 2004? Or will they just not debate it? Thoughts?

CRC
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:39:33 PM EDT
It will never reach the floor. If it does it will get passed.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:40:07 PM EDT
I think it wont be debated. They want it to die quietly.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:43:58 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Combat_Jack: I think it wont be debated. They want it to die quietly.
View Quote
It won't die quietly. We all know that. CRC
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:02:28 PM EDT
BE QUITE. It will be debated but on CNN but I doubt itll never make it outta commitee. I might point out that all the bills they are trying to replace it with are Kalifornia type measures that will never pass without war, strife, riots etc.. I even saw one the other day that would outlaw repeating bolt-action rifles.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:43:51 PM EDT
Here is something to think about: How much are you hearing about it now in Washington? Seems to me it's over before the great debate even had the chance to get started. Signs point to: no one wants to touch it, at least for now. And I'm not the foolish optimist. I am one who thinks a politician is still a politician no matter what stripes he's wearing. Perhaps we ought to pose this question again sometime [b]next year[/b]. That maybe when we're playing with real money.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:13:47 AM EDT
IF a new ban is passed BEFORE 14 Sept 2004, you can keep using the same serial # list at gunshows. WHEN the ban sunsets (It is ordained in its own text...) and IF they don't have a new ban in place on 14 Sept 2004, tear up your old serial # list, and make one starting on whatever date they sign the new ban into law. IF it lapses, there will be no restrictions on LEO mags or receivers. (OK, they might go up in value as collectors items.)
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:48:45 AM EDT
Chnaces are real good the bill will never see the floor of the House - and it is unlikely to pass the House even if it did. For the most part, this hurts the Dems as much as it helps them. The Schumers and Feinsteins in the party get brownie points for it; but the Feingolds, Daschles,etc. get punished for it. The Dems would much rather this never come to a floor vote - that way they can continue to try and bash Bush on this issue and demand a floor vote while at the same time leaving no trace of a position that can hurt them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:30:11 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts: Chnaces are real good the bill will never see the floor of the House - and it is unlikely to pass the House even if it did. For the most part, this hurts the Dems as much as it helps them. The Schumers and Feinsteins in the party get brownie points for it; but the Feingolds, Daschles,etc. get punished for it. The Dems would much rather this never come to a floor vote - that way they can continue to try and bash Bush on this issue and demand a floor vote while at the same time leaving no trace of a position that can hurt them.
View Quote
I agree with you... They are going to get as much mileage out of this without committing one way or another... They arer so two-faced, and talk out of both corners of their mouths ALL THE TIME... [SNIPER2]
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 7:49:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mugzilla: IF a new ban is passed BEFORE 14 Sept 2004, you can keep using the same serial # list at gunshows.
View Quote
You will need a new list, cause the current bill bans a whole lot more. The bottom line is, this bill is DOA. Other than a small number of loud-mouth gun-grabbers, there just are not enough votes in the House to get it passed. There are MORE votes to REPEAL it than there are to pass it. But instead of REPEALING it, they are going to just let it die. Of course, if some nutjobs start shooting up schools and such in the months coming up on the sunset, we are screwed.
Top Top