Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2004 4:52:21 PM EDT
When did Colt start using non-Mil-Spec-sized (ie. "large") pivot pins in their rifles?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:13:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The short answer is that the large pivot pins started the day they built their first civilian AR15.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]
As much as I like my Colts, what were they thinking when they decided on the large hole???

Probably they were trying to not make it easy for anyone with an M16 upper to be able to slap it onto a semi lower.   Kind of strange as the DIAS was not around nor were aftermarket parts.  Maybe this was a hoop that Colt had to jump thru for ATF?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#4]
In their early days, maybe they were trying to protect their military contracts by making it difficult for M-16 uppers to fit their commercial lowers. I dunno.

However the offset pivot pins, to mate M-16 uppers to commercial lowers, quickly appeared.

Lonny
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#5]
The push pin type front retainer, and forward assist were both designed by the Army Ordnance folks, according to a Colt worker I talked with many years ago. (the very first Air Force M16s had a very different typr push pin).  Anyway, Colt felt they'd get on trouble w/the Army if they used the two items on their civilian model AR, so they designed the AR15 to avoid using either feature.

Also, as a side note, the very first AR15s had the hole for the disconnector spring in the trigger, and the notch in the disconnector in a slightly different place, so you couldn't cut the block out of the back of the trigger, and just insert the full auto disconnector.  Found this out after I'd had my early AR class 3d, and was going to keep the old trigger as a spare
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The short answer is that the large pivot pins started the day they built their first civilian AR15.

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 6:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt sucks. I sold mine and got something that was closer to mil-spec.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top