Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2005 9:57:32 AM EDT
I was wondering when the M8 replaces the M16s/M4s, will the government resell the ARs?

For example, surplus Garands are going for $400. Will the government destroy the M16s/M4s, or will they be "back on the market" for us?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Dream on,  grasshopper ....
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:00:57 AM EDT
[#3]
They'll stay in rotation until they are all fugged up and melted down or sold to some foreign nation
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I was wondering when IF the M8 replaces the M16s/M4s, will the government resell the ARs?

For example, surplus Garands are going for $400. Will the government destroy the M16s/M4s, or will they be "back on the market" for us?

I don't think either will likely happen. The M-16 WILL be replaced but not by that hairdryer/dildo. As far as the rifles.... They are drilled for the autosear, and instead of having the opportunity to weld the sear hole, they will just as likely demil/destroy them Consider the M-14 that we could have helped the US Gov't recoup big money on with CMP, etc. Slick Willie was more content to destroy them.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Ah

Thanks for the info, pulp.

*That's the first I've heard someone refer the M8 like that*
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was wondering when the M8 replaces the M16s/M4s, will the government resell the ARs?

No. Once a machine gun always a machine gun. The same reason they can't sell the M-14s.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No. Once a machine gun always a machine gun. The same reason they can't sell the M-14s.

Yep.

Most you can hope for is uppers.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:29:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Sold off to LEO, Israel, Haiti, and other poor, but "democratic" nations. Everything else will be reduced to domestic security roles like the national guard, or destroyed.

Once an M8 is chosen, the M16 is going to pulled off the front line fairly fast. Look how quick the M14 vanished from frontline service after the M16 was selected
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]
where are $400 surplus garands being sold?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
where are $400 surplus garands being sold?

CMP
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand the "once an auto, always an auto" notion. I mean, isn't it possible that a M14 could be surplused, and once it is transfered to the CMP, it is reclassed as a semi-auto by the ATF?
I don't think the government WOULD do this, but could they do it legally if they wished?

Maybe a dumb question, but I would think that a weapon could be "reclassified" at the time it is made surplus. That's basically what they do when the de-mil something.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:23:24 PM EDT
[#14]

SOLD!?

My MP Guard unit is still using M16A1s rebuilt to M16A2 configuration.

Took them to Iraq too.

Give us those freakin M4s already!  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Sold off to LEO, Israel, Haiti, and other poor, but "democratic" nations. Everything else will be reduced to domestic security roles like the national guard, or destroyed.

Once an M8 is chosen, the M16 is going to pulled off the front line fairly fast. Look how quick the M14 vanished from frontline service after the M16 was selected

Don't forget that the M14 is still being used in Iraq and Afghanistan as we type this...  Not in the numbers they were before, but they are still used...

Spooky
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Nope.  Same reason we cant get surplus USGI mags straight from the government liquidators.

You can thank Clinton for that.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:56:32 PM EDT
[#17]
for some reason i dont think the m8 will replace the AR

ETA: oh ya i know why, because the m8 is super ugly and the AR is a great looking weapon
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:57:29 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope.  Same reason we cant get surplus USGI mags straight from the government liquidators.

You can thank Clinton for that.

Ah, shit, forgot about that.

Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I don't think the government WOULD do this, but could they do it legally if they wished?

They're the government, they'll do whatever they damn well please.  And they're never going to want to do what you're descrbing, that would be flooding the streets with military weapons.  Oh the humanity!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:02:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand the "once an auto, always an auto" notion. I mean, isn't it possible that a M14 could be surplused, and once it is transfered to the CMP, it is reclassed as a semi-auto by the ATF?

Maybe a dumb question, but I would think that a weapon could be "reclassified" at the time it is made surplus. That's basically what they do when the de-mil something.

When you "de-mil" something you basically destroy it in the case of any weapon system.

However the once a MG ... rule is just a ruliong and not the law. the ATF could declare "converted" MG to semi's legal if they wanted. Or you could take them to court on it and settle it once and for all.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#21]
This thread is like something I'd been thinking about concerning the M16 bolt carriers:  If the ATF says we can use M16 carriers because they don't make the rifle an automatic, couldn't the same be said for an M14 with the selector lug cut off?  I know, dream on..
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

well Complete uppers, buffer tubes, buffers, stocks, grips, many things could be sold off for cheap. I know how fast colt marked handguards and collasable stocks go on the EE here. Imagine all milspec buffertubes and stocks, etc.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you "de-mil" something you basically destroy it in the case of any weapon system.

However the once a MG ... rule is just a ruliong and not the law. the ATF could declare "converted" MG to semi's legal if they wanted. Or you could take them to court on it and settle it once and for all.

Yeah, when you "de-mil" something, you fix it so it will no longer function. So I figure, if you take a full auto M14 (or M16), and fix it so it will no longer fire full auto, then you could sell it as a legal to own weapon. Ooops, I'm sorry, that made sense, and I can't expect that from the Government.
I like your suggestion, I think I will take them to court and settle it once and for all !!!

But seriously, did Klinton sign an executive order stopping the practice of surplusing weapons and ammo? I mean, what is the rule?
If it is just an executive order, couldn't President Bush sign another executive order reversing it??

If so, then it is not impossible. Maybe as a group, we should write the President and ask him. If we get the NRA involved, and other groups, then we might get a big enough response to get it changed.

In Washington, The squeeky wheel gets the grease. (Or the richest wheel gets the grease)
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]
*pulls out pen and pad*

Shall we?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep.

well Complete uppers, buffer tubes, buffers, stocks, grips, many things could be sold off for cheap. I know how fast colt marked handguards and collasable stocks go on the EE here. Imagine all milspec buffertubes and stocks, etc.

Once again, Clinton banned these types of items from getting back to civilian hands when he was in office.  We will never see it in the market unless a President reverses what Clinton did.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:57:28 PM EDT
[#26]
If your talking about the Clinton Executive order banning the import of USGI firearms back into the US, that has changed.  www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/071205openletter.pdf
It only allows C&Rs again, but we should start seeing Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, and such from the importers soon. South Korea has probably been sitting on a bunch of them waiting on this moment.
John
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#27]
This may be a retarded question but I thought all m-14's were semi-auto. I bet I am wrong and I feel retarded. Just never thought a m14 was select/auto fire.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:22:27 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This may be a retarded question but I thought all m-14's were semi-auto. I bet I am wrong and I feel retarded. Just never thought a m14 was select/auto fire.

You are wrong.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:38:55 PM EDT
[#29]
M14s had selector locks to keep em semi only I think only 2 guys in a squad or platoon had select fire E2s.XM8 is DOA and can some one post the "not this shit again picture"
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Well, I was going to call you a simpleton, but I will run on the assumption that you really want to know and haven't been keeping tabs on the XM8 and NFA laws.

1.  The XM8 is pretty much dead.  The chance of it being adopted is very, very slim.

2.  Fully automatic weapons can never be sold to the American public unless they were registered prior to 1986.  Never.  Nada.  No chance in hell.  they will either be given away to foregin militaries or turned into scrap.  And don't plan on getting any of the parts off of these, as due to a wonderful law signed by President Clinton all those M16 parts have to be scrapped.

Sucks, don't it?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#32]
I think we should find out early on who will be running for pres and hassel them to make it a campaigne issue from the start to the finish. if done correctly and we ALL, not  just large groups,
I mean all of us make it clear that this is what is most important to us above everything else we
could get a turn around maybe not a full but better than what we have say starting now jot down
a senseible law to submit it to take the place of an existing one be professional and reasonable
in doing so. If we expect to ever get anything back its going to take more on our part than just
letters and phone calls. A good example would be to have a person well known and educated
somehow schedule a meeting with these people ahead of time quickly and heavly educated them
on our concerns and wants and clear up all the media bias and get everyone and everything involved from your neighbor to every NRA GOA ARF member/supporter in on this because never
will phone calls, letters, or wishes get our rights back remember it's their game if we expect to
win we have to eat sleep breathe and play it the way they do I read earlier on another post someone mention about attaching what we want to important amendments at the last minute before
a vote is considered that is very smart and that is the type of action/thinking we need to start doing. BTW whoever did write that I wish I could remember to give credit to that is an excellent start.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a serious question...
When pigs fly will they be considered poultry?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#34]
You can get the handguards at least.  98 of them from the Navy in this auction.
cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=655546&convertTo=USD
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top