Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 11/3/2005 4:58:03 PM EDT
Cold weather? Combat? you name it, I have some cold azz fingers when the wind gets a blowing
Link Posted: 11/3/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT
I like Hatch shooting gloves...
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 3:17:31 PM EDT
Whitewater makes some good gloves. I could not find them on the web but I found them at clothing sales on base.
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 4:18:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2005 10:55:03 AM EDT by Buck_Naked]
SWMS

You can also find them at Tactical Tailor

Great gloves!

Dave
Link Posted: 11/4/2005 10:50:56 PM EDT
Regular issue flight gloves - because of the fit and dexterity they provide, plus I get to DX them for free...
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 9:16:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2005 9:17:11 AM EDT by mcgrubbs]
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 10:27:19 AM EDT
Nomex flight gloves, but I recently purchased a pair of Hellstorm S.O.L.A.G. gloves. Fit great and very comfortable.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:14:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/5/2005 3:15:04 PM EDT by WMHM4]
I use Hellstorm nomex flight gloves for everything, shooting, driving even shoveling the snow and even though they are thin they keep my hands warm and they have held up perfect for all the abuse I put them through
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 3:17:32 PM EDT
Nike batting gloves.
Link Posted: 11/5/2005 8:21:04 PM EDT
Hatch Flight & Hatch Shorty Operator.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 2:56:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mcgrubbs:
Regular 'ol Nomex flyer's gloves.

But I have been experimenting with a pair of those Mechanix Gloves. They seem to be OK.

BTW, great avatar, jgreg5!!

Tanks

Well seems like I'm going to start test fitting a few of these.

Thanks for everyone's input
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 2:29:08 PM EDT
I like the Hatch short cuff flight gloves, and Mechanix gloves.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:38:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/7/2005 5:40:29 AM EDT by Optik45]
I've tried a few "Shooting" gloves and finally found the one I prefer the most. Craftsmen Mechanics gloves that I found at Sears. They have a perfect fit, no bulking, Allows great dexterity, and have good grip surfaces on the palm and finger tips.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 5:22:35 PM EDT
I found a $15 PR OF Sugg gloves at Wally-World in the Men's under garment area. They have black, Tan/Black & yellow. I have used them while doing all kinds of firearms drills. I have no worries about slippage wearing these. Also tried the Damascus 'Interceptor-X' w/ leather palm. Not ideal for gripping synthetic stocks/hand grips.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 5:25:49 PM EDT
Bare Hand brand.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 7:28:34 PM EDT
The Oakley Factory Pilot Gloves are a good choice. Tight fit , reinforced knuckles for room clearing and breaching, and great gripping
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 11:25:10 AM EDT
ilike my swms friction fighters, but lately i've been wearing my $20 damascus mx-30 interceptors.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 1:04:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/10/2005 1:05:27 PM EDT by remedy]
Hatch kevlar shooting gloves. They are not too thin, and not too thick, they have a short cuff and are very light. The front is leather and the back is kevlar material (cloth) that is fire-proof and cut-proof. They are awesome gloves for $20.00

Hatch makes great gloves.

I also have these BlackHawk FireStorm Assault Gloves 1/2 finger, but they suck they are far too thick and i have large hands.

- rem
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 8:15:06 PM EDT
USGI Nomex Flight Golves
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 3:41:36 AM EDT
Man I'm going to have more gloves than the Royalty of England!!! Thanks Guys keep the suggestions coming!!!!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:18:03 AM EDT
Nike batting gloves and Mechanix gloves.
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 5:24:06 AM EDT
Nike batting gloves, in "tactical" black. hable,
SF
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 6:30:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
USGI Nomex Flight Golves

+1
I really enjoy the fit and feel of these
Link Posted: 11/23/2005 11:57:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RABIDFOX50:
Nomex flight gloves, but I recently purchased a pair of Hellstorm S.O.L.A.G. gloves. Fit great and very comfortable.

Ditto...Been training and deploying with good old NOMEX flight Gloves for years

Link Posted: 11/23/2005 12:59:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
USGI Nomex Flight Golves

same here
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:57:15 AM EDT
Another vote for the NIKE batting gloves...used them for some time and they work great. Thin, cheap and black...what else do you need?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 10:21:27 AM EDT

Been training and deploying with good old NOMEX flight Gloves for years

How are they in the cold?
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/30/2005 7:31:24 PM EDT by makabi24]
I really love the Hatch Operators. They are great. I personally like the long sleeve gloves, you can bunch them up if you want to.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:24:11 PM EDT
tag
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 7:44:30 PM EDT
mechanix
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 12:11:05 AM EDT
I use some 4$ fingerless gloves from GI Joes...
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:13:27 AM EDT
i was wondering the same thing for a winter glove. temps here low 20's or lower and i have a outdoor stress fire course coming up in a couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:57:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rfoverlord:
i was wondering the same thing for a winter glove. temps here low 20's or lower and i have a outdoor stress fire course coming up in a couple of weeks.

Oh yeah I have always wanted to do one of their courses. I still havent come up with a pair yet, I'm leaning towards the Nomex myself, I'm just wondering if the gauntlet part will be a problem. Someone mentioned the Mechanix had a thinsulate version I'm just trying to see if they are too thick then the Nomex's are going on order.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:59:37 PM EDT
I like my Hellstorm Nomex gloves for everything, dexterity is great with them and if you buy a bit bigger size you can use USGI type wool liners.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:33:12 PM EDT
I've been sporting a pair of insulated gloves from SWMS and can give them a fair nod. They are INSULATED, and that beats the snot out of anything else I've found.

I rely on my pistol at work and spent last winter working in NC with cold fingers. That's not good for trigger control.

MechanixWear is partners with Southwest Motor Sports so you can get a good idea of how the SWMS gloves will fit by trying on some MW gloves. If MW made an insulated glove, I would run with it and not be sorry.

I've also heard there are insulated golfing/football gloves out there, but I can't find them.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 5:25:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/9/2005 5:27:12 AM EDT by jgreg5]
Well I just bought a set of the Mechanix Cold Weather ones from Ebay 18.99 +S&H

Ebay Mechanix Gloves

I should have them sometime next week I'll give you guys a full review on them. I'm sure I'll be picking up other types too in the near future. I'll up date you on them also.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 6:38:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jgreg5:

Been training and deploying with good old NOMEX flight Gloves for years

How are they in the cold?

I've used the nomex for years, and have been very happy with them. When it's cold (like today, started out at 15) I put a pair of the Michael Jackson Signature Tactical liners in. You can get these at outdoor places or where ski clothes are sold. They are the white/silver material with mylar in them. They keep my hands warm with the flight gloves.
I just bought a pair of the Hellstorm SOLAGs, and I really don't like them. Two velcro areas on each that are a bitch to get in and out of and catch on everything, and the wrist support thingy is tex suxxor.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:11:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By jgreg5:
Well I just bought a set of the Mechanix Cold Weather ones from Ebay 18.99 +S&H

Ebay Mechanix Gloves

I should have them sometime next week I'll give you guys a full review on them. I'm sure I'll be picking up other types too in the near future. I'll up date you on them also.

Well I got them in today, Fit wise they are nice, a little on the thick side but manageable. Its tough loading a mag but do able. The cold portion? I'll let you know tomorrow we have a snowstorm coming in overnight.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:04:43 AM EDT
The best glove that I have used is by and far the Ringer Flight X glove. They are a nomex gaunlet style glove with a very thin leather palm. The glove's leather palm and fingers are thin enough that I do not lose feeling of my weapon or trigger. I tried the Blackhawk S.O.L.A.G. glove but fealt that it was just a little to bulky and had difficulty shooting with it on. For my the Flight X fits the bill. At times the gaunlet style glove can be annoying but I appreciate the extra perfection when I throwing flashbangs. This glove rocks!!!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:12:03 AM EDT
I'm a cheap comfort bastard..
I like the 'ol Nomex Flyers Gloves.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:33:52 PM EDT
I liked the SOLAG gloves, as ststed, a little bulky, but ok. The thumb and a few finger tips wore out pretty fast, though. I cut them down to 1/2 fingers, and they see a lot less use. I'm T&E'ing the Oakleys now. I like them a lot, but they look a little gay IMHO. Great grip and dexterity.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:28:12 PM EDT
I'll give another kudos for the Nike batting gloves. I wear them 8+ hours on-duty and they are very comfertable. I also wear a pair of Under Armor batting gloves which I like very much. The UA gloves are more comfertable and have better dextarity. Just remember that none of the batting gloves provide any protection against needle sticks, razor blades or fishing hooks... It's a trade off...

The Noxex gloves are geat too. I cut a few of the fingers off mine, but they are still very nice, especially when it gets cold. Just remember to wash the Nomex gloves before you wear them or your hands will be stained the color of the gloves if you get them wet or sweaty.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:30:25 PM EDT
Mechanix brand gloves, the Original model. Then, I cut most of the forefinger and thumb off of each one so I have some dexterity.

HighSpeedSteel
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:11:46 AM EDT
Nomex flight gloves. Have some new issued ones for cold weather. Otherwise batting gloves are good, as mentioned, but I prefer Kona bicycle gloves at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:22:06 AM EDT
I had the Nomex flight gloves but the fit was loose, sometimes the webbing would cover the hammer on my 1911 and would not let it fall. This would happen when I tried for a quick draw during transition drills.

I recently switched to black mechanic gloves and so far so good. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:44:50 AM EDT
Please excuse the stupid question...

Why should I wear shooting gloves in the Summer?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:06:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 12:11:36 PM EDT by MonkeyGrip]
Thanks guys. You inspired me to order a pair of Hatch Kydex Shooters gloves from the Tactical Tailor just in time for my USPSA pistol match next week. I've used GI wool liners up until now and they're good.

I've wanted some fire resistant gloves for some time. I play close to fire sometimes and the thought of wearing tight fitting flammable material on my hands makes me nervous. The flame resistant materials make a lot of sense to me. I'm suprised no one's emphasized that yet.

Anybody tried to burn those Mechanix gloves?
I don't know if they burn or not. I'm just asking.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:25:40 PM EDT
My hatch shorties are flame resistant and I touched my Krink FH this afternoon after dumping 300 rounds throught my 7.5" SBR just to see what would happen. They didn't melt but did leave an impression on the Krink and man were they hot. No burnt fingers, just HOT.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:48:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/6/2006 7:08:25 PM EDT by AKM]

Originally Posted By Glock_10mm:

Because it's so ubberly tactical Dude!

Too tell you the truth I don't understand it either... perhaps it's because I use my hands every now and then and am use too small cuts and abrasions on my hands (Mechanical Engineer/Machinist) unlike much of the computer oriented populous of today?

Same thing as the guys who NEVER remove their Lights or Lasers during a bright summers day?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:02:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AKM:

Originally Posted By Glock_10mm:

Because it's so ubberly tactical Dude!

Too tell you the truth I don't understand it either... perhaps it's because I use my hands every now and then and am use too small cuts and abrasions on my hands (Mechanical Engineer/Machinist) unlike much of the computer oriented populous of today?

Same thing as the guys who NEVER remove their Lights or Lasers during a bright summers day?

Some locations are HOT in the summer. Note the pictures coming from Iraq--those boys aren't wearing gloves because their hands are warm, it's because everything they touch is about 160 degrees.

It's bad form to remove your lights and lasers in the day, because you should train as you fight. Ever go from a bright day into a dark building?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:11 PM EDT
Well, I've had my SWMS Cold-Weather gloves long enough to offer a short-term performance report.

First, the fit is good, but varies between left and right gloves. Everybody will have slight differences in the size of their hands, so this is no big deal. The trigger fingers on both gloves are too long, however. Looking at them right out of the packaging, the trigger fingers were as long as the ring fingers. Generally, the trigger finger on your hand will be as much as .250" shorter. I can still work a pen or a trigger, but the excess prohibits picking up coins or paperclips from a tabletop.

Cold Comfort? With only 20 grams of Thinsulate, you are not going to be toasty warm. This is a trade-off that you have to make if you still want to feel a trigger or radio knob. My fingers are perfectly capable of working my pistol while operating in the cold. There is no numbness, but you do know that you're in non-tropical weather conditions.

Waterproofing? Non-existant. The first day I wore them on-route, we had a major ice storm that put a bunch of folks out of electricity. While trying to move a fallen tree from in front of my truck, in a light rain, my gloves were quickly and thoroughly saturated. The Neoprene thumb is just a sponge. The nylon back piece isn't even trying to be resistant to water penetration. The temperature was above freezing, but not much. As such, I had to retire the sopping-wet gloves for the rest of the day and work bare-handed. I have since purchased some great waterproofing spray and added that to the gloves.

Durability - two seams on the righthand glove have popped already. Function hasn't been impaired, but appearance is degrading and confidence in the product is moving in a negative direction. The gloves haven't been worked hard or put through any kind of torture test. The first seem popped when I was trying to get my hand into the glove on the very first try. I will be contacting SWMS in the near future to see if they will replace the righthand glove.

Grip - the leather palm is nice and grippy. I have worked a CZ 75B, G22, G23, Colt 1991A1, Rem 870, AR15, and Ruger Mk2, and all of the various grips have been rock solid.

And the biggest question: Would I recommend this glove to others?

Yes, but only because these are the only insulated gloves that I have found to be sensitive enough for working a pistol. When you add in the cost of waterproofing, and that these are not produced in America, I think they are way overpriced.
Top Top