Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2004 6:30:25 AM EDT
I want to put either a variable power or 10X power fixed scope on my Bushmaster M-4gery 16" flat top.  But I don't want the scope to look disproportional to the carbine.

I had on my mind perhaps a bushnell 3200 in 3-15 X 40.  Or perhaps a Burris with Ballistic Plex.  Would these be overwhelming for the short rifle?

What are you guys using for higher magnification?

Any input into the matter would be greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:36:12 AM EDT
[#1]
In the past I've had a Leupold VXII 3X9X40 Tactical Mil Dot that worked just fine.  I had to put two YHM mini risers in order to get the proper cheek weld.  Sorry, no longer have any pictures for "show & tell".
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
i like the Leupold VariXIII 3.5x10 40mm scope.
for 400.00 new or 300 used at a gun show it's a great investment.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd put a 4X scope on it (preferably an ACOG), I think a 10X is too much scope for a 16" barreled carbine, it will look great and serve better on a 20" barreled rifle though.
Leupold is the best value, it's a scope that you buy and keep for a life time

Here's my SN3 on a 20" barrel rifle, and it almost looks like too much scope
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Duffy.  Thats why I got rid of the Lupy on my carbine and went with the AGOG.

Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:47:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Thats some good looking rifles you've got there fellas, thanks for the pics.

I would love to get an ACOG but I plan on doing quite a bit of coyote hunting.  Do you think that 4X would be enough magnification?

Also, I know I should probably just pony up and buy one but $750.00+ is hard to lay down for optics.

Especially considering I only gave $850.00 for the rifle.  I would like to brag on it by the way, it is a new in the box Bushmaster L.E. 16in. M4gery.  And damn it does look good if I do say so myself.  I don't have a digital camera or I would post some pics.  I can't wait to take it out and shoot it!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Say Neocon, is 16" enough for a varmin rifle?  If you had say it was for Coyotes I wouldn't have suggested ACOGs  How about ya get a 20" upper and then get the 10X scope for it?  I think it'll make a good varmin rifle.
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 11:58:00 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thats some good looking rifles you've got there fellas, thanks for the pics.

I would love to get an ACOG but I plan on doing quite a bit of coyote hunting.  Do you think that 4X would be enough magnification?

Also, I know I should probably just pony up and buy one but $750.00+ is hard to lay down for optics.

Especially considering I only gave $850.00 for the rifle.  I would like to brag on it by the way, it is a new in the box Bushmaster L.E. 16in. M4gery.  And damn it does look good if I do say so myself.  I don't have a digital camera or I would post some pics.  I can't wait to take it out and shoot it!

NeoCon,

Have you considered the Leupold Compact scope?  I bought mine new from SWFA for around $250.00.   Along with the LaRue QD scope mount, it'll bring you to about $450.00 for both the scope and the mount.  If you don't need QD capability then just get some fixed 1" scope rings for less than $50.00.  This is a good option if you don't need the ruggedness of an ACOG.  Here is a pic of what the Leupold Compact looks like on a 16" flattop:

It doesn't stick out too bad but as mentioned above, it would work better on a 20" barrel.  However, for my purposes, I like to keep the Leupold Compact in a carry bag and just swap out with my EOTech when I need to go long distance. I have some more info and pics on my personal website:

www.pnguyen678.com/WebPage_Tactical/Tactical_LeupoldCompact.html

I hope this helps. Good luck!
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 2:57:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Field of view and optical clairity will be more important than you think. Forget a big 10x or fashonably large other. Quality 4x as advised or a 2-7 type [leupold VX-III at 350.00] will get you done good on a car.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top