Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2011 8:35:57 AM EDT
I had an opportunity to buy one last night and after reading some reviews I'm kind of glad I didn’t. So far I have heard of problems with feeding and if a partially or completely full mag is dropped on concrete the floor plate may break. It seems like a good concept but it still needs some bugs worked out. I am surprised that they started production with all of these problems still occurring. So far it seems like other than the 30 round pmag the most reliable ar mag developed so far is the original aluminum follower 20 rounder. Seems also if you want more than 30 rounds to be fired without a reload you better just get a belt fed.

Any input?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:10:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2011 9:10:40 AM EDT by Blain]
Wait a year for them to iron out the bugs and for them to reduce the price to around the $60 > mark. Magpull's quad stack mag, which which is premiering at the 2012 shot show, will help drive them to do so.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:26:41 AM EDT
If magpuls is anything close to the patent or the design they have been working on for years then it won't be that great. We will see.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:44:33 AM EDT
junk as far as i'm concerned

out of the box mine would not feed more that 20 rounds

got jerked around by surefire then eventually got it fixed

the follower is also tilty as all hell
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 9:46:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hoodornament96:
If magpuls is anything close to the patent or the design they have been working on for years then it won't be that great. We will see.

AFAIK, Magpul only filed a patent for a design.

You folks keep talking about it like it's something they're actually working on, and when it doesn't come to pass, there's going to be hostility toward them for not delivering.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:03:11 AM EDT
Magpul has been working on that design since about 07. Initially for the IAR, . Had to use so much force to get to work, their 1 piece follower had some issues breaking. Maybe they learned something from the surefire mag. My SF worked so far when in gun.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 10:55:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Fincho:

Just curious what was wrong and how it was"fixed" to now work trouble free?? Did you just get a lemon or was it a design flaw that they "fixed"?
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:00:47 AM EDT
Your going to get 50/50 here. My 2 60's have been flawless. I don't know why. Although I have not taken them apart. I feel this may lead to some problems being reported. But they are too much $ & more of a novelty item. I wouldn't use these in any SD situation.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT

Magpul has been working on that design since about 07. Initially for the IAR, . Had to use so much force to get to work, their 1 piece follower had some issues breaking. Maybe they learned something from the surefire mag. My SF worked so far when in gun.

Do you have a link to that information? All I've ever found are people speculating and no hard evidence.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:27:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Blain:
Originally Posted By Fincho:

Just curious what was wrong and how it was"fixed" to now work trouble free?? Did you just get a lemon or was it a design flaw that they "fixed"?

best i can tell it was just assembled incorrectly at the factory

I fixed it by repeatedly taking it apart and putting it back together and cussing a lot. Its possible there was burr or something but i think it was just assembled incorrectly
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 3:31:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/17/2011 3:37:11 PM EDT by CARman]
Originally Posted By Joe_Pennsy:

Do you have a link to that information? All I've ever found are people speculating and no hard evidence.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/209850_40_Rounder.html

Posted yesterday by forum member "Magpul" in the Magpul industry forum.It's not a 60 round magazine but at least Magpul's getting closer to 60 rounds.

Magpul
Industry Partner
CO, USA

Posted: Yesterday 12:51:10 AM CST
The 40 rounder is not dead. We just had some research and development work to do regarding magazines that delayed the release.

That is all I can say within the bounds of the sig line restriction!
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 6:10:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CARman:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_124/209850_40_Rounder.html

Posted yesterday by forum member "Magpul" in the Magpul industry forum.It's not a 60 round magazine but at least Magpul's getting closer to 60 rounds.

The 40 was in the catalog and there have been pictures of them (or damn good mock-ups) floating around for a couple of years. The 60 (again, as far as I can tell) is confined to a patent filing and TONS of people playing guessing games.

Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:12:57 PM EDT
Magpull's quad stack mag, which which is premiering at the 2012 shot show, will help drive them to do so.

Did I miss something? Can you please fill us in on where you came across this, as an absolute? Thanks, 9080
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 7:38:35 PM EDT
My experience:

The 60s work. They work in semi and auto. Fully loaded and partially loaded.
They also should be disassembled and cleaned.
Sometimes it takes a few cycles to break them in.
in general I am happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 8:16:45 PM EDT
They work.but they should be cleaned.sounds a little iffy for me. The more I unload it and see it hung at around 25 rounds to go,or the bulletts seem like the tips would not make it out of the mag, hard to say. The quad magpul was working on years ago was actually 70 rds I believe. I would not think magpul is going to produce this for many reasons. They have a 30 and a 40 already, they just got bought, a polymer mag with that design would be even more difficult. They could come out with it tomorrow but their pres really was butt hurt by the marines pulling pmags and in his statement of how crazy that decision was he pointed out that the surefire mags are not going to fit the 416 either. They also had their instructors shooting the SF QUADS.

It's hard to give up the reliability of a 30 rd magazine for a small increase in capacity that I might not ever use, those KCI drums are looking better and better.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 3:41:12 AM EDT
I'll wait for the GenII Surefire 60-rounders with a price tag around $60. A novelty mag for $130 with so many negative reports and similar stories of bad CS doesn't interest me.

As for the Magpul mags: when it was brought up in here a few months ago, the story was that the 40-rounder they're developing is a regular double-stack magazine. I've seen no indication that Magpul is working on a quad-stack. And yes, I've seen the patent filing, but no indication that they're building one.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 4:21:59 AM EDT

AFAIK, Magpul only filed a patent for a design.

You folks keep talking about it like it's something they're actually working on, and when it doesn't come to pass, there's going to be hostility toward them for not delivering.

You're not new here. You should know that's what happens with EVERY magpul product. Magpul has stopped mentioning future items because of the amount of crybaby bullshit that has taken place.
Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:22:59 AM EDT

The quad magpul was working on years ago was actually 70 rds I believe. I would not think magpul is going to produce this for many reasons. They have a 30 and a 40 already, they just got bought, a polymer mag with that design would be even more difficult. They could come out with it tomorrow but their pres really was butt hurt by the marines pulling pmags and in his statement of how crazy that decision was he pointed out that the surefire mags are not going to fit the 416 either.
Red: Still waiting for evidence to support this claim

Blue: they didn't get "bought"

Green: I'd like to see the statement indicating butt hurtness.

Link Posted: 11/18/2011 6:58:57 AM EDT
Posted: Yesterday 12:51:10 AM CST
The 40 rounder is not dead. We just had some research and development work to do regarding magazines that delayed the release

I got the same answer last October.
Link Posted: 11/19/2011 2:56:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/19/2011 2:56:52 AM EDT by dpmmn]
Thread hijacked ..............dpmmn
Top Top