Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2011 6:50:13 PM EDT
I know people are crazy about those Aimpoint Micro's.  Other than "its the newest thing".... what are the positives over a M2/M3 style body?

I understand there is a weight savings, which isnt really important to me as the difference is miniscule.  

Do they offer any advantages on target acquisition, or do they reduce the amount of FOV blockage?
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
.... what are the positives over a M2/M3 style body?

The Micro does everything the larger Aimpoints do in a smaller, lighter package.

Do they offer any advantages on target acquisition

No.

do they reduce the amount of FOV blockage?

Yes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe the difference in weight is more than "miniscule".  Ounces add up quick and are a real drag to schlepp around all day.  Don't forget the ridiculously long battery life, roughly 5yrs.
Link Posted: 6/19/2011 8:16:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Take into account that the mounts are lighter too.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I was sceptical about the small size of the micro's lenses, figured they would have a much smaller view and be harder to get proper alignment, but I was way wrong.  Picked up an R1 when Midway was blowing them out for $300.  When shooting both eyes open, the sight just dissapears leaving just the red dot hanging there in air.  Easy as all git out to get on target, and way less restricted view.

These things are amazing, get one.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
They're smaller and lighter.... what's not to like?  If you're using it right ,the smaller tube is almost meaningless.  I have an M4 as well and it's great, but the T-1 is the tits for a CQC rifle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2011 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Size and weight are the two main advantages.

The only downside I can see is if you prefer the smaller 2 MOA dot..
Link Posted: 6/21/2011 6:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Size and weight are the two main advantages.

The only downside I can see is if you prefer the smaller 2 MOA dot..

Not a big issue.  When looked at side by side with a M4CCO the Micro looks the same size, even more so when the brightness is turned down.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I understand there is a weight savings, which isnt really important to me as the difference is miniscule.  

They are LESS than half the weight of a M2, M3, or M4, and the non shooting eye can pick up targets much better looking around such a small tube.

Link Posted: 6/21/2011 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Good to know this. I have an M2/LT129 setup coming off my SBR and an R1/DD 1/3 going to it as soon as I get it from the EE. Wanting to lighten up my SBR a little bit and this is the ticket. Anticipating adding a pound to the gun later via a 15oz suppressor
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top