Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 6:33:56 AM EDT
A buddy of mine think they look corny anyone have any pics?????
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a config like that right now, and yes, it does look a little corny.  I am waiting on a bushmaster lower with an A2 stock to arrive at my FFL, so I just have mine on there temporarily.  

It shoots just fine though, just feels wierd when shooting it with that stock.  It would probably feel a lot different with a Magpul collapseable stock, since the stock is heavier than the standard 6 position.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:42:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is a pic of my setup -

It doesnt look so bad, but it just feels out of balance to me.  Kind of wierd. But like I said, it shoots just fine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
you want balance     ACE SOCOM
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have a setup like that right now, but in my opinion a collapsible stock on a 20" with standard handguards, etc. looks a little disproportioned. However, I want to build a 20" one day with railed HGs to put on a bipod and use a VLTOR collapsible stock. The VLTOR just seems to have a little more bulk to it and balance it out some.

By balancing it out I am speaking completely aesthetically as I have never handled such a rifle. The weight could still be off.

Just my opinion.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:01:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
[#6]
20" uppers look great with a Mapul stock.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Diemaco now builds their M16/C7 that way.

More here:

www.diemaco.com/

If it's good enough for a military contractor who supplies several modern armies with C7s, then it's porbably not a TERRIBLE idea, no matter how it looks.    
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:28:57 AM EDT
[#9]
I ahve thought about it a couple of times,  but I never went through with it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:29:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I tried it by putting my carbine lower with a Vltor car stock on my 20" A2 upper and it's not bad.

I mounted a magazine pouch with a loaded mag on the stock and made the balance better.

There should be a good advantage with that setup when using body armor or heavy clothes in the winter.

I'm going to put the car stock on my rifle the next time I go shooting with my kids so they could also shoot my rifle.

Here's a link of an older thread with lots of pics.

20" Rifles and Tele Stocks thread link
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#11]
In general I think that combo is kind of silly but if it serves a legitmate purpose, go for it. Hell even if it doesn't, it's your rifle, if that's the way you want it then do it and don't worry about what other people think.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
i'LL BE DOING JUST THAT SO A 8 YEAR OLD CVAN SHOOT OUR LOCAL CMP COURSE. THE A2 STOCK IS WAY TO LONG
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Do a search.  there is a picture thread involving collapsibles on full length rifles.  Someone even posted a picture of their 24" varmint rig with a collapsible stock.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#14]
20" + M93 stock = Bliss
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Function is more important then form. If it works, who cares what it looks like. I agree the MagPul stock is the best option for such an application, but the M4 style works just fine.

It really is versatile. Especially with a stock. You can adjust the length to fit you when you are standing or when you go prone. Not to mention when wearing armor.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:53:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't understand why everyone likes the magpull stock, it's a .5 dif in weight with the ACE SOCOM, why do you like the magpull over the socom?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#18]
And now for something completely different, the FN Tactical Police Shotgun:
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.diemaco.com/images/c7a2.gif

More here:

www.diemaco.com/

If it's good enough for a military contractor who supplies several modern armies with C7s, then it's porbably not a TERRIBLE idea, no matter how it looks.    

Dude they're still using those elcans, man I wouldn't be caught with an elcan on my gun in the cellar at midnight with the lights turned off!

You must have eaten some bad fish, penguin-boy.

The ELCAN rocks!!  
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't understand why everyone likes the magpull stock, it's a .5 dif in weight with the ACE SOCOM, why do you like the magpull over the socom?

Because it is better than the socom

Actually, both are very good buttstocks.  I still would rather have a magpul.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think I would want an AR with any length bbl without a collapsible stock.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#22]
While it looks unbalanced, there is apparently an application for having the back half adjustable.  For example, I'm pretty tall, so the extra 3/4 inch of extension I get from my 6-position stock helps the rifle fit me better.  Someone of smaller stature would probably find the adjustable pull allowed them to more comfortably shoulder the weapon too.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#23]
That's a pretty sweet set up with the green furniture............wish I could afford the ELCAN for my midlength rifle

Quoted:

www.diemaco.com/images/c7a2.gif

More here:

www.diemaco.com/

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought the last bit of parts I need to build up a 20 inch pencil barrel flattop, with a Colt 4 position stock.

I think I'll either put a scope on it or just a EOtech and a BUIS. Haven't decided yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#25]
A  SP1 upper with a 22 conversion in it and 4 pos stock.  

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I like it. Function before fashion.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:17:25 AM EDT
[#27]
This is my Bushmaster XM15 E2S  with six-position.

For me it works just fine.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:35:24 AM EDT
[#28]
I would not completely discount a setup based solely on looks.  It might be the best thing out there.  If you think it might work for you, try it, then pass judgement.  I guarantee if the SF guys started showing up on a regular basis with this configuration, it would be the next ARFCOM craze.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Its not about weight. Its about cheek weld. The MagPul is the same regardless of position.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an extra 6-pos lower for my 20" A2 (which normally wears an A2 lower).  I find that with the 6-pos, I can shoot offhand faster, especially at closer (<50m) targets.   However, for prone shooting and hymping it around, I definitely prefer the A2 stock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:48:08 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
However, for prone shooting and hymping it around, I definitely prefer the A2 stock.

Why is that?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I personally think that the standard A2 configuration represents the best combat rifle availible.
Its a superior weapon....unless you are in a vehicle, then its too gangly. I do a lot of shooting in a vehicle or in restricted spaces, but appreciate the range and sight radius of the standard A2 so adding a collapsible stock was an appropriate solution. I never have gotten used to the way it looks, and probably never will but its necessity is undeniable. Adding the telescopic stock to a 20 inch weapon makes things much easier in a vehicle or in a CQC scenario. The drawback is that it changes the balance of the weapon and makes it very "nose heavy" and kind of unwieldly, espcially when shooting with the stock collapsed or semi collapsed. My solution as of late has been a carbine, but a tele stock on an A2 is an expedient solution for losing some inches. The range of a 16 compared to a 20 is certainly comparable, but the sight radius is not. The A2 has a definate advantage, especially at long range. At shorter distances, training and experience will negate the advantage of the shorter radius of the carbine or at least equal it. I think the dissapator configuration will be my next AR, as it offers an alternative to the rifle and the carbine by creating a hybrid. If you need to save the length, than a telescopic stock on your rifle is an excellent solution especailly with an issued weapon. In this case, function is way more important than aesthetics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Here is mine with a Vltor.

I dont care about looks, I like the adjustability it gives me so I can use my Iron sights and my Accupoint which has a very long eye relief. Works great... just waiting for the new Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Ive posted this one a few times

Then again its only a 5pos VLTOR
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:57:43 PM EDT
[#35]
works for me
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top