Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/13/2015 3:18:58 AM EST
Explain.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:53:38 AM EST
Poll fail. Pencil and lightweight are the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 4:11:54 AM EST
They are sold as one or the other, and most manufacturers have their own standard for what it means exactly.

But, yeah...more or less the same thing. Oh wells.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 6:34:14 AM EST
I guess mines a fluted one. Just a short blaster for home defense, prefer light weight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:30:24 AM EST
Lightweight and pencil are the current trendy builds... Plus, lugging around my SPR isn't as fun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:30:45 AM EST
It depends on the weapon.....??????
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:07:54 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cwmax2000:
It depends on the weapon.....??????
View Quote

Well of course it does!

We're in the AR-15 section and multiple answers are allowed.

Don't over think this, now...
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 1:15:08 PM EST
I personally feel like the weight difference between a lightweight and gov profile barrel are negligable especially considering the benifits.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 2:26:53 PM EST
I have the following barrels. Personally, i don't mind the extra weight of the SOCOM barrels.
1 DD 11 Gov
1 LMT 14.5 Gov
1 FN 14.5 "Optimal"
3 Colt 14.5 Socom
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:46:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By iamleonardnimoy:
I personally feel like the weight difference between a lightweight and gov profile barrel are negligable especially considering the benifits.
View Quote
Benefits?

They both have the same profile under the handguard where it matters most. No benifits to a Gov over a LW besides opening up crates with the thick end of the Gov barrel.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:27:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 7:50:18 AM EST by iamleonardnimoy]
Originally Posted By jukeboxx13:
Benefits?

They both have the same profile under the handguard where it matters most. No benifits to a Gov over a LW besides opening up crates with the thick end of the Gov barrel.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Benefits?

Yes, benefits. As in "the benefits of going with a lightweight profile barrel do not warrant the weight decrease and negatives associated with it", but I suppose it is all relative to the end user...

ETA: After reading this post over I realize that I made no sense
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:47:36 PM EST
Benefits?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Benefits?

Yeah had to have an early prong flash hider in my platoon and if you were a fng with one it got grabbed up as soon as the C-rats were dropped off and dragged off the LZ
The C rat wooden crates were wrapped in wire so some poor schmucks poor rifle was appropriated to jab into the junction of those wires and start twistin' till the wires broke
and the crate gotten into and thats when the real fun began fighting over the various meals.....
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:42:50 PM EST
Government and Heavy
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:11:28 PM EST
Government. Just a personal choice. Not against any other profile that works. This poll is, with respect, like a poll asking guys if they prefer blondes, burnettes, redheads, ethnic, fat, slim, short or tall women. Different strokes for different folks. They are all good choices. Just run what you like and not try to see if someone else agrees with you.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 2:02:41 AM EST
It certainly is a personal choice. It's a question. Answer or answer not.

I'm not justifying anything.

My own AR's may as well be stuck in 1995.

Trends change.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 7:11:29 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 7:11:53 AM EST by CarpNY]
I wanted a pinned/welded Manimal on a 14.5" barrel to satisfy NFA as shortly as possible and to be able to swap out gas blocks easily on my "pump action ... until NY changes its laws or the SHTF" build. The easiest way (once I found a retailer other than Adam Arms, who charge an arm and a leg) was just to buy the pre-pinned/welded Voodoo barrel, which happens to be a government profile.

My primary reason aside, I much prefer a straight profile (e.g., government) to one with an M203 cutout (since I won't need to run one.) For semi only, I might have gone LW, but with a pump, the extra weight should actually help resist the natural tendency of a pump to rise off target when actuated (like how having more sprung mass in a car means a smoother ride.)
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:31:37 PM EST
FWIW I have three FF Hbars. I like the heft, balance, consistency, and the ability to soak up heat when ran hard.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:17:52 AM EST
Voted pie.

Not sure what the barrel of my LMT cqb16 is considered but I'm a huge fan of it.

I love bull barrels, long range shooting and heavy bullets for caliber so for an AR that still can be carried without hating life lmt's barrel works for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 7:07:45 AM EST
depends; pencil on my Legacy Rifle, BCM Govt Profile on my AR-15 and Stock Armalite bbl on my AR-10 Carbine. All very accurate. I like to keep them light.
Top Top