AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2010 6:02:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Glass breaker

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
GAT. Glass. Attack. Tool. Used to break glass easily.

L
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:18:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not use a phantom or FH with a strike face?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:21:35 PM EDT
[#4]
To each his own. And, those are over-priced, they G.A.T is fair, plus, Paul Howe makes nice gear.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:29:34 PM EDT
[#5]
$30.99 is over priced for a Phantom?

G.A.T. is $80
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I was merely thinking of the Vortex with the strike face, which is made by CMMG at $119.95. Then again, at going rates that seems normal for a flash suppressor. I haven't used a Phantom in sometime, and no, 30.99 is reasonable.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I just paid $150 for a BCE compensator. I need the glass breaker so I don't scratch it...
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Okay...

What does it do that the flash suppressor won't do? I mean that seriously. Why wouldn't thrusting the flash suppressor into the glass break it?
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Okay...

What does it do that the flash suppressor won't do? I mean that seriously. Why wouldn't thrusting the flash suppressor into the glass break it?

Maybe this one is diamond-tipped so you can cut circular firing ports in the glass.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Okay...

Or just shoot through it if you need to break it at a distance haha.

But more seriously, who here will EVER need to break glass with their AR? I'm not even going to guess the percentage because I think it'll be lower than my chance of winning the powerball.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:38:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The GAT is made out of hardened porcelain (i think), makes braking glass much more easier.

I saw a demo video on youtube once where a guy tried to brake a window with and A2 and then with a GAT, the thing just crumble to pieces with the GAT.

Still he did not go full retard on the window with the A2, which would have also worked, but you get the idea.

J

ETA––  Here is the youtube demo
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the vid JAVO. I hadn't even thought about safety glass. Someone says "window" I think of plain ol' household window pane.

It sure looked like he wasn't putting a great deal of effort into striking the windows, with or without the GAT. I'm sure something like this would be nice to have if you're manning checkpoints in dangerous settings.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Ha ha ...I've seen 2 year old with plastic hammers hit harder than he was doing GAT-less.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:44:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Like Bumblebee Bob I was also thinking about a basic house window, not auto glass.

One other thing to note in that video is that the windows were tinted. The tint film was holding the glass together because car windows (windshields excluded) tend to just fall apart in a bunch of BB-sized pieces when broken.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:16:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

L

Is there something about a steel barrel and A2 flash hider that I don't know? Like, can they not break glass easily?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

L

Is there something about a steel barrel and A2 flash hider that I don't know? Like, can they not break glass easily?

IMO( if you are a LEO/MIL) it's all about having that edge. If im going in, and i know for sure that im gonna be braking some glass on my way in, well by all means strap one of those puppies to the front of my AR.
It may save me from having to thrust my gun a second time into the window of a car, to put the pipe in front of some asshole.

An absolute necessity? no, nice to have in case you need to remind someone he/she is stepping out, and that he/she is through a glass window? yes. When you think about it, a high percent of what people buy for their defense purposes, never actually get to be used in anger, for what they were specifically designed for. It all boils down to making the simplest job, easier.

Nothing ever happens until it does .

Stay safe out there.

J

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:37:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#18]
I could honestly see it being difficult to break with a regular flash hider. I have hit car windows with crowbars and hammers before and had them not break. I wasn't wailing on them super hard but it's going to be hard to wail your AR straight into a window too. You really do have to put some force behind it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GAT is made out of hardened porcelain (i think), makes braking glass much more easier.

I saw a demo video on youtube once where a guy tried to brake a window with and A2 and then with a GAT, the thing just crumble to pieces with the GAT.

Still he did not go full retard on the window with the A2, which would have also worked, but you get the idea.

J

ETA––  Here is the youtube demo

That is pretty impressive. I could definetly see a need for it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:10:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Tempered glass car windows. Strong. But easy to break with a hard sharp object. All you have to do is break the surface tension, like popping a bubble. Car burglars throw pieces of ceramic from broken spark plugs at them to break car windows without an impact heavy enough to trigger an alarm.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Nothing a automatic spring loaded center punch won't due for $10. I have used them several times when I was with the VFD. They work great and very little effort. To each their own.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:13:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nothing a automatic spring loaded center punch won't due for $10. I have used them several times when I was with the VFD. They work great and very little effort. To each their own.

True, but when your conducting a takedown on a vehicle youll be fumble fucking your center punch while you have a rifle in your hand.  I've never seen this but honestly will be getting one because the need is there.  I like the fact that its made of porcelain , kryptonite for vehicle glass.  I have a center punch hanging in my squad and it definently has its use, but not in a tactical environment.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Why not just get an 'etching tool' that has a hardened point and attach it with a couple of hose clamps.  Of course it won't have the tacticool look but it will be functional.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

you've obviously never tried to break auto glass using such a device. the GAT has it's uses, but unless you're an operator, you will never need such a tool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:15:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got a feeling that the can on the end of my rifle will work fairly effectively.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#27]
apply a little oomph and save your money...

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b358/cbarzyz/7b096d6f.jpg

LOL
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

True, but when your conducting a takedown on a vehicle youll be fumble fucking your center punch while you have a rifle in your hand.  I've never seen this but honestly will be getting one because the need is there.  I like the fact that its made of porcelain , kryptonite for vehicle glass.  I have a center punch hanging in my squad and it definently has its use, but not in a tactical environment.

Rangehunter nailed it.  

I've seen these in action firsthand.  In this capacity, it's reason enough for HBAR over M4 profile barrels.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, and his weapon is completely useless right there. If he had to fire he would be screwed. Your rifle is made for shooting not breaking glass. Sure it is capable of breaking glass but you have to forcefully smash the window taking your weapon out of play. Or you can spend $80 and simply touch the window to break it keeping your rifle under control. Just because you wont use/need it doenst mean its not a great tool.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:03:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:14:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Yeah, the sharp point will definitely break safety glass easier.  Regular window glass breaks easy with a flashhider, but you need to put a a fair amount of  muscle behind a regular flashhider to break tempered glass, but much less muscle when it's concentrated at a single point of impact.  A good tap on tempered glass with a prick point punch will break it too.  I wouldn't mind wandering around a junk yard with a phantom flashider to see how well they break tempered glass.  Not sure how effective either would be with the laminated front windshield, probably not very.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:18:26 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and his weapon is completely useless right there. If he had to fire he would be screwed. Your rifle is made for shooting not breaking glass. Sure it is capable of breaking glass but you have to forcefully smash the window taking your weapon out of play. Or you can spend $80 and simply touch the window to break it keeping your rifle under control. Just because you wont use/need it doenst mean its not a great tool.

we don't know the situation during that picture, training or what ever. Anyways, it was posted in jest, I neither condem or condon using the OPs product in the picture. great tool or not, it is a personal choice.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#34]
From this thread I have learned that all of the windows I broke in Iraq with my M4 were due to their inferior glass and for the half second it took to break the glass I was combat ineffective. Thanks AR15.com
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#35]
It's not necessarily the pointy edge that makes it easier, its the porcelain tip.  Anyone that has worked enough car burglaries has found a piece of a spark plug in or around the car.  Lightly toss it at the window and poof, magic.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Don't be a pussy... get the Chainsaw Bayonet

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I am sure it works great. But it's a tool that probably .07% of arfcomers would ever need to use. I would be on the other 99.03% side of the equation.

Personally, if you really need to use that, you'd be by yourself. Otherwise, cover the BG and have your partner take an ASP to the window. If you are by yourself, how are you going to break and clear enough glass from a window to gain entry and still keep the BG covered?

To each their own.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top