Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/22/2012 11:46:33 AM EST
Well I was watching the movie Blood diamond and saw
A sweet looking rifle. I got on IMFDB ( like app but for guns)
And they aren't sure what it is, I'm sure you guys will.
Really I'm just bored as hell waiting on family to show up

Well what is it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 11:48:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/22/2012 11:51:43 AM EST by RRiggs]
What is what?
Scratch that slow connection, tethered to a phone and image didn't load.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:00:52 PM EST
British movie Gun, or some such, a mix of parts, if you will...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:15:37 PM EST
It is a "frankencarbine" mish-mash AR-type firearm made to look "cool" for a movie...

Second or Third Gen Collapsible Stick
A2 Upper
Carbine handguards
607-type moderator
Greenish finish

Nothing special...

Move on...

That's all, folks!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 12:24:56 PM EST
From what I understand, it's an A2 'Commando' built for BHD and used in this movie because they had it. It has a decent XM177 moderator but is an A2. Face it, most people don't know the difference between a 629, a 723 and an A2 Commando. They even mount sights backwards, even on movies they clearly had military advisors on. 'Suspend Belief' is my rule when watching this kind of stuff.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:09:22 PM EST
Yeah, good movie, Jennifer Connelly sure's nice to look at...
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:13:08 PM EST
Ya I knew it wasn't anything to special, just thought that 607
Moderator looked out of place, it's damn sexy though!
Like I said ,,, just killing a little time before the fam
Arives.
Morg you are right about the movies, although they have gotten a
Lot better over the years as far as the details go.
It's still not hard to spot the screw ups,,,, GLOCKS don't cock!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:15:08 PM EST
Originally Posted By nougabol:

She is a stunningly hot lady!
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 1:20:20 PM EST
Originally Posted By Trimdad:
Originally Posted By nougabol:

She is a stunningly hot lady!

Still.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:23:19 PM EST
Originally Posted By Morg308:
From what I understand, it's an A2 'Commando' built for BHD and used in this movie because they had it. It has a decent XM177 moderator but is an A2. Face it, most people don't know the difference between a 629, a 723 and an A2 Commando. They even mount sights backwards, even on movies they clearly had military advisors on. 'Suspend Belief' is my rule when watching this kind of stuff.

I was going to say Leo built a BHD tribute rifle, but I had no idea.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 2:49:20 PM EST
I had one just like that, including the cheap plastic stock. It balanced well due to the heavy 45Bravo fake 607 mod I had on it. Got rid of it because it was .750 between the FSB legs and that just ate at me until I couldn't stand it. Still have the mod somewhere around here...

+1 for Jennifer Connelly
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:18:20 PM EST
In the new James bond film the a2 flash hider was on cockeyed
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:43:46 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 3:50:30 AM EST by 22_boomer]
I saw this brought in an older ARFCM thread –– the handguard cap is a triangle cap –– so is this maybe a midlength gas system with midlength handguards? I honestly never paid attention to any of this stuff till I saw this picture posted here.

I built a Frankencarbine that is similar (kinda) to the rifle in the movie for no other reason than I was given an 11.5" barrel that I didn't want to waste and had a fake 607 moderator pinned and welded so I didn't have to pay to SBR it. I cheated and used the round handguard cap and double shield Colt handguards.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:56:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 3:56:20 AM EST by Morg308]
I've noticed that in many movies you will very often see carry-handle AR's - even if it's a flat top, they'll have the carry handle on it. Part of it I believe is because the carry handle and triangular FSB are instantly recognizable to movie goers as 'an M16' whereas a flat top with say, a folding YHM gas block isn't. I'm talking about Bob and Mary 'Everyday person' here who know what an AK is and know what an AR is, and may not even be aware of variants as we are, or of lesser known weapons currently in use in the world. Or it may just be that Hollywood is full of idiots...or both. optic carrying M4's are making inroads of course, and are becoming more standard 'That's an M4!' says Bob and Mary's son. With video games like call of duty so common now, this is finally changing. They still do dumb things like have the Foley guys 'click off the safety' on a SIG.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:13:37 AM EST
Originally Posted By dvelleux:
It is a "frankencarbine" mish-mash AR-type firearm made to look "cool" for a movie...

Second or Third Gen Collapsible Stick
A2 Upper
Carbine handguards
607-type moderator
Greenish finish

Nothing special...

Move on...

That's all, folks!!!

Ahhhh ... I always thought that was a sweet looking setup!
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:23:58 AM EST
I like the camo paint - have been trying to find that yellow color they used with OD green with no luck. I'm sure I've seen it before but haven't found it in awhile. Anyone have a link to mil-spec spray paint?
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 4:54:13 AM EST
I like the camo paint - have been trying to find that yellow color they used with OD green with no luck. I'm sure I've seen it before but haven't found it in awhile. Anyone have a link to mil-spec spray paint?

No sure about how long it would stay with rough handling, but a "Real" hobby shop should have a pretty good selection of colors available for the military models.
An inexpensive air brush set up and you could spray the stuff in the small bottles and even mix your own paint if you wanted to get that deep into it.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:07:44 AM EST
Well, I'd rather just buy one can of spray paint myself.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 5:33:10 AM EST
Well, I'd rather just buy one can of spray paint myself.

Averoe's tan (forget what they call it exactly) is slightly "yellower" than Krylon or Rustoleums - and I bet would match.

Also, Bowflage's version is also more yellow.

~Augee
Top Top