Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2003 8:58:17 AM EST
I've been into the AR's for awhile,but am just now starting to take notice of the short barrel uppers.I'm referring to 10 1/2",11 1/2" and 14" complete uppers like you see at the gun shows.Put one on and the total length of the rifle is about 22"-24".Can these be used on post ban lowers?Do you have to have a SBR or Type III license?Just thought I'd get some answers before I got to interested in these for a project gun.Thanks in advance.Lonestarwj
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:13:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 9:27:18 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/22/2003 9:29:14 AM EST by shaggy]
Anr rifle with a barrel less than 16" or an overall length less than 26" has to be registered as a SBR (short barreled rifle).  Its basically the same C3 process as buying a machinegun.

You can make an SBR out of a postban, but it still has to comply with the ban (at least for now).  If you use a preban, you can have the pre-ban goodies.

Here's the process - get two copies of a BATF form 1 (www.titleii.com), the new citizenship form,  and two FBI fingerprint cards (call BATF or see you r friendly local C3 dealer) and get these.  Complete the form 1 and take it to the sheriff or CLEO (chief law enforcement officer) of the township, county, or municipality in which you reside.  They will have to sign the CLEO certification on the back of the form.  They can deny you for any reason, or no reason at all, so be polite, make an appointment, and dress appropriately.  When you have the forms signed, you'll also need to get fingerprinted and get some passport photos to attach to the form.  Send all FIVE forms (form 1 in duplicate, 2 fingerprint cards, citizenship form) and a check to the Treasury for the $200 making tax.


And wait.

And about 4 months later, you should get one copy of the form 1 back.  At that time (and not before) you can make your SBR, and acquire a short barreled upper.  If you possess the short upper prior to having the approved form in your hands (without another lower on which it can be legally used) you can be charged with felony possession of an unregistered NFA weapon.
Top Top