Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2006 9:26:53 AM EDT
I have a beginner question that I probably should have asked a long time ago. I'd like to hear answers from people that have attended professional training and classes, or, better yet, are professional trainers themselves. My question is: Is there a "rule of thumb" for how to select the right setting for my adjustable/collapsible stocks? Do I just pick the one that feels the most comfortable to me and stick with it, or is there more to it – things like selecting the most comfortable setting that still allows you to maintain a certain posture/grip/stance/etc.? Is there an optimal angle/position for both my arms? The reason I'm asking is because I know from experience that what may feel right to me may not necessarily be the best way to do it. I've taken some handgun training where I learned that my grip and stance where incorrect; they felt comfortable to me at the time, but there was a better, more correct way to do it. Once I had my stance and grip corrected by a professional and re-trained myself to actually use it – my scores went up and I became a better shooter. I believe that formal training is very good way to learn to be proficient with whatever tool you're using; I am planning on taking some formal carbine training in the near future, and I know questions like this will be addressed there, but I'm looking for some general pointers at this point that will hopefully help me avoid developing bad habits in the mean time and get me better prepared for the future training, whenever it may be. TIA.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Perhaps this thread will help?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The thread the link goes to misses one item: comfort.  Once you get a sturdy, reliable, adaptable, easily installed stock that you can get a good cheek weld on, is it comfortable?  Not only can you get your cheek welded for a great sight picture, but can you maintain that weld without discomfort?  Is your arm comfortable?  Does the stock fit your shoulder well?

I think that once you have a particular stock, the comfort issue is right up there with a repeatable cheek weld.  What good does it do to have a stock you can get a great weld on if it hurts?  I'm working on a cover for my RRA 6-position stock because it pinches my face and pulls beard hairs at times.  I've actually shortened my beard to see if it helped-it did a little.  What I need is a good cover for the front end of the movable part of the stock.  I'm close now, but once I get it "right" I'll post what I did.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:46:55 AM EDT
[#3]
For a collabsible stock sometime you have to sacrifice some things for other things, for example, I would rather have my stock on the first setting, it is how it fits me best with body armour on. But when I am in a vehicle and need to shoot out of that vehicle I collapse it all the way. I need that little bit of extra compactness to get out of a door quick enough to engage a threat.

Now for my rifles at home, where I dont wear body armour i will chnge it to what feel right, and then I will bring it up to my shoulder a few times, see if your eyes line up with the sights, see if your head goes to the same place everytime. if you need to change a few things change them. Then after that I will close my eyes and pull the weapon up to my shoulder, then open them and see where I am. I did this with my adgustable stock Long range rifle and even with the scope on 20X i can bring it to my shoulder and be looking straight out of the scope with no need to change anything.

hope it helps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the comments so far. I've read the thread referenced above; however, my questions doesn't have as much to do with which is the right stock for me, but rather what's the correct way to hold the carbine, and particularly the way my arms should be positioned. I have 3 stocks now - a regular M4, Magpul M93B and LMT SOPMOD. I've also tried the ACE stock before. I don't have enough "trigger time" behind either one of them yet to determine which one is the right one; so far I like both SOPMOD and M93B, but both could use some improvements IMO. The regular M4 stock is OK, but not as comfortable or solid as the other two.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top