Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 8:53:09 PM EDT
Is it just to prevent glare off the front lens giving away position for snipers and such or do they have some benefit to a target shooter?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Kill flash and lens caps prent the glare.  Sunshades (at least in bechrest rifles) help to tame the glare /mirage coming off the barrell.

n8
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:50:32 PM EDT
[#2]
sunshade also helps if you are firing into the direction of the sun. Keeps the glare off the front glass.  more for keeping the sun from causing a bad sight picture than anything.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#3]
works similar to those that are in your vehicle

shades from the sun.

also helps keeping the heat mirage from the barrel out of the sight picture too.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:56:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies guys.

Do I interpret correctly that if I shoot in the morning on an eastern facing range, a sun shade will make it easier to see the target clearly?

Will a 3 inch shade be adequate, or is 6 inches better? I have a DPMS upper with the full length free float hand guard, so I don't get a lot of heat mirage off the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#5]
A sunshade on a rifle-scope works in a similar manner to a lens shade on a camera.  The shade extends beyond the front objective lens and is sized in both diameter and length so as to not cause any "vignetting" or reduction of angle of view, but at the same time block any light outside the angle of acceptance of the scope.  This  helps the scope retain as much contrast as possible, prevents flare, and helps keep the image as crisp as possible.  It does also help reduce the flare or signature reflection that may be visible to others.  The shade offers flare protection to help maintain image brightness and contrast in addition to any flare reduction offered by coating the lens surfaces with anti-reflection coating.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top