Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 11/5/2009 6:31:48 PM EST
I bought an Aimpoint with a cantilever mount. It feels strange having the optic a mile away from me. I keep moving it back to sit against the rear BUIS, but it looks a little strange with the cantilever mount (see below).

Is there a point to the cantilever, other than to make room for a magnifier or NV?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:38:39 PM EST
There are schools of thought about the distance a red dot optic should be away from the the eye. Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

It basically comes down to training, anticipated use, and personal preference. I will not knock someone for having the tube an inch from their face or as far down the receiver as they can manage it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:44:10 PM EST
Getting the optics weight just past the upper helps balance the weapon. Also the Red Dot works better out there faster better view etc. Its not a standard magnififed Optic and should not be run like one.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 6:56:23 PM EST
Originally Posted By imortal:
Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

Ah, that actually makes sense. I haven't shot it yet, but I moved it back so I could better focus on the optic with one eye closed. I should move it forward and shoot with both eyes open, huh?

Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:21:32 PM EST
Originally Posted By asu174:
Some feel that the distance allows better use of your peripheral vision, and not be tunnelled into what you see through the tube.

Ah, that actually makes sense. I haven't shot it yet, but I moved it back so I could better focus on the optic with one eye closed. I should move it forward and shoot with both eyes open, huh?

Yes
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 7:43:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By asu174:

This.

Move it forward and train yourself to shoot with both eyes open.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 8:16:40 PM EST
Also, by moving it forward, you can get used to focusing on the target, and the dot should overlay itself instinctively.

Makes more sense when you try it.
Top Top