Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2010 1:56:12 PM EDT
Have a new 16" carbine HBAR upper. Kept the used BCM BCG I had & charging handle. Mounted it to my lower(LMT) & zeroed it & shot 300 rounds Saturday with no problems. I took it home, cleaned & lubed it & tried to shoot 200 more today. Seems after 5-6 shots I'd get no bang & the round had a light primer strike. Then another 4 or so shots then the same light primer strike. I picked up the rounds up & tried to fire them again & some did work & some did not.

I have eliminated the ammo & mags as a cause. Ammo & mags function fine in another AR. Using lake city M855/pmags.
My BCM upper works fine on the same lower so I don't think it's the lower, buffer or spring. (Using a Spike T2)
While cleaning it today I did notice the gas tube seems to be a little loose. I can wiggle it inside the upper slightly
Could the firing pin be bad? The BCM BCG has at least 2K on it maybe a little more.

I did not try to swap BCG's from the BCM to the HBAR.

Also I found if I shot slow like 1 shot every few seconds, I'd have no malfunctions. But as I increased fire speed so did the light primer strikes & no bang.

Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#1]
If your rifle fires a single round, ejects and locks back on the empty magazine..........

Try a heavier buffer. If you are running a carbine buffer, step up to a H. Your rifle upper may be a bit over gassed and the bolt is bouncing. A heavier buffer will hold the bolt forward when chambering and prevent bolt bounce.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Already have the spike T2 which is heaver then an H.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 3:42:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The upper is cleaned & lubed properly, & I run it wet. As always.
I'll measure the FP.
Link Posted: 2/7/2010 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:27:33 AM EDT
[#6]
The lower is fine.
What gets me is 1 day it's fine for 300 rounds & then it acts up the 2nd time out.
Doesn't make sense.

I did see the firing pin tip seems a bit more rounded then the others I have.   I did use this well used BCG in a new upper as well so maybe there's something there. Sending it back to BCM for replacement.
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The lower is fine.
What gets me is 1 day it's fine for 300 rounds & then it acts up the 2nd time out.
Doesn't make sense.

I did see the firing pin tip seems a bit more rounded then the others I have.  I did use this well used BCG in a new upper as well so maybe there's something there. Sending it back to BCM for replacement.

I may be confused ,but did the upper come with a BCG that was head spaced to it  or did you not have a BCG with the new barreled upper & use a BCG (used ) from another barreled upper ?
Swapping BCG to different uppers can have odd results .Once a bolt, that is head spaced to an barreled upper & its wore in ,it may not work correctly in another barreled upper . Now the swapping of just the BC is another story.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The new upper did not come with a BCG. I had the BCG in another upper I sold off & kept it for this upper. The BCG has at least 2K rounds on it from the other upper.

I really didn't think it mattered.

Link Posted: 2/8/2010 3:31:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, it can matter. Did you buy a replacement firing pin yet?
Link Posted: 2/8/2010 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
No, ordered a new BCG from BCM. I'll let them warranty the 1 I have if there's anything wrong with it. They said it will need to be looked at. Meanwhile I need the AR up.
Link Posted: 2/18/2010 12:59:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Your rifle upper may be a bit over gassed and the bolt is bouncing

SOB! I guess that was it. I installed a brand new BCG. 1 mag went fine, 2nd mag rapid fire a few rounds didn't go bang. Same problem. Changed the buffer from a spikes T2 to a H2 buffer.  Problem gone. Ran 6 more mags through rapid & slow fire.

That's nuts.

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top