Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 2:55:58 AM EDT
Aside from price, which is better and why? and where is a good source for the crane O ring?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:31:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Adco has them here is a link scroll down the page on left side.

Adco crane-o-ring
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:41:05 AM EDT
[#2]
dont pay for over priced o-rings, just go to home depot and get the #6 or #60 o-rings. the difference would be the brand or sometimes the store.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:55:28 AM EDT
[#3]
There are better 0-ring materials that will hold up better and last longer.  In a harsh environment, an O-ring designed for a water faucet may not hold up as well as one designed for a high pressure, high temperature hydraulic system.  Having said that, the O-ring designed for a water faucet will fill the needs of 99% of the people here.  I'd bet of the hundreds of O-rings installed by people here, only a couple dozen of them are actually doing anything.  The other hundreds are installed for "insurance" and probably aren't even needed.

I've said this at least a dozen times - Crane very likely didn't spec out, design and build their own O-ring - they went to the parts depot and asked for a bunch of mil-spec O-rings of various sizes and tried them until they found one that fit their needs.  I'd bet money on it.  The package they come in probably say something like"O-ring, hydraulic, 100ea".  

"Crane O-ring"...........................
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:10:46 AM EDT
[#5]
i use the d-fender that comes with my mgi rate reducing buffer and feel that it holds up much better than any o-ring.

have about 5-6k on one of them and with a shot of brake cleaner it looks brand spankin new

twl is a mgi rep/dealer here and you can find him in the equipment exchange
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#7]
per an email conversation with the SOPMOD manager at Crane.  They DID have an O ring specially made for them, after testing various off the shelf O-rings, but now consider their special made O Rings and the D-fender to be interchangable.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
per an email conversation with the SOPMOD manager at Crane.  They DID have an O ring specially made for them, after testing various off the shelf O-rings, but now consider their special made O Rings and the D-fender to be interchangable.  

I will not completely doubt this, as I don't know, but of the milliions of O-rings out there, there wasn't one that fit their needs?????  I'd bet they came up with a spec, submitted it to their purchasing experts, who went out and found what was needed.  The chances of there NOT being an O-ring already out there that wouldn't fit their spec would be pretty slim.  But, hey, who am I?  I'm just some gun nut from MI.

I do know of a super O-ring that pretty much beats Viton or Buna or all the other standard, common O-rings in pretty much every category, but it cost $20 each.  If I were SOPMOD and had the funding, which I believe they do, I'd be running those in mine.  As it stands right now, I  have the "Crane O-ring" in one of mine and it runs without issue.  I also have another in which I'm running a Viton 007 X-ring in and it also runs without issue - McMaster Carr Search on Item Number 6540K117.  They are backing a standard spring with a blue insert.  These would be the exception to my norm of a Wolff extra power spring by itself.  I'm bored and like to play.

Check out the Kalrez/Simriz/Chemraz specs here.

Here's a source for them - McMaster Carr - Search on Item Number 9568K11

You can also get them here for $1007 per hundred.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:47:59 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one from ace hardware in my M16... It gets rosting hot, and cleaned with brake cleaner. Hasnt deteriorated yet....Ill order a real one the next time I need parts.. This one should make it  in the short order though..

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:59:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Read the entire scoop on Crane O-rings and the D-Fender here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=237471
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Read the entire scoop on Crane O-rings and the D-Fender here:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=237471

+1
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The main difference between the O-ring and the defender is about $11.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The main difference between the O-ring and the defender is about $11.

imo there is more but for most, yeah just 11$ is about all the difference they will notice
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Aside from price, which is better and why? and where is a good source for the crane O ring?

I have a bunch of crane o rings. Wanted  to compare  to home depot  o rings   # 60   at 24 cents a piece  , I squeezed  them pushed on them  pushed my finger nail into them , both felt the exactly the same  .. Go buy number 60  o-ring a home depot  it will work great and it costs 24 cents. The defender  just made that guy a bunch of money thats it..
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes I'm sure squeezing them and pushing their finger nail into them were the tests that Crane used when choosing their O-Rings. Did you try heating them? Plus the Crane O-Ring costs a buck. I'm sure nobody is getting rich even if they are making 76 cents a piece.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:36:13 AM EDT
[#16]
i have done a few hundred round strings with the d-fender installed and after removing it to check it and a shot of brake cleaner and its brand new
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:53:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Yes I'm sure squeezing them and pushing their finger nail into them were the tests that Crane used when choosing their O-Rings. Did you try heating them? Plus the Crane O-Ring costs a buck. I'm sure nobody is getting rich even if they are making 76 cents a piece.

It retails for a buck, probably because that's the easiest denomination to charge.  They probably wholesale for a nickel each................................really.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:54:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:04:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I went to Lowes and bought a few of the #60 o rings for .08cents each.

Then I tried them through a few local shoots. Worked well and held up ok. Didnt try any cleaners on them, didnt need them as of yet.

I went back and bought a small handfull for a couple bucks. I think I have a lifetime supply.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:27:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top